Pope to American Catholics - Vote lesser of two evils

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2024, 7:58 pm

Pope slams both Harris and Trump as ‘against life’ and urges Catholics to vote for ‘lesser evil’

Quote:
Pope Francis on Friday slammed both U.S. presidential candidates for what he called anti-life policies on abortion and migration, and he advised American Catholics to choose who they think is the “lesser evil” in the upcoming U.S. elections.

“Both are against life, be it the one who kicks out migrants, or be it the one who kills babies,″ Francis said.

The Argentine Jesuit was asked to provide counsel to American Catholic voters during an airborne news conference while he flew back to Rome from his four-nation tour through Asia. Francis stressed that he is not an American and would not be voting.

Neither Republican candidate Donald Trump nor the Democratic candidate, Kamala Harris, was mentioned by name.

But Francis nevertheless expressed himself in stark terms when asked to weigh in on their positions on two hot-button issues in the U.S. election — abortion and migration — that are also of major concern to the Catholic Church

Francis has made the plight of migrants a priority of his pontificate and speaks out emphatically and frequently about it. While strongly upholding church teaching forbidding abortion, Francis has not emphasized church doctrine as much as his predecessors.

Francis said migration is a right described in Scripture and that anyone who does not follow the Biblical call to welcome the stranger is committing a “grave sin.”

He was also blunt in speaking about abortion. “To have an abortion is to kill a human being. You may like the word or not, but it’s killing,” he said. “We have to see this clearly.”

Asked what voters should do at the polls, Francis recalled the civic duty to vote.

“One should vote, and choose the lesser evil,” he said. “Who is the lesser evil, the woman or man? I don’t know.

“Everyone in their conscience should think and do it,” he said.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2024, 11:54 pm

This Much i Understand; A LiTMuS Test For
All Politicians And Members of the Clergy

Should at Least Fit a Standard of 'Humane'...

"Who Is the Lesser Evil, The Woman or Man" by Pope Francis;

It's Not a 'Good Look' Or 'Action' to Fail Standards of 'Humane;'

To Deny Reproductive Health Care to Women And Or to Deny

The Humanity

of Migrants

Is surely NOT 'Humane;'

A Common Meme, Continued
Failure of Clergy and Politicians

All the Way to the Top of Leadership;
All the Harm That Comes From the Bottom of the Top...

Basically,
From Human
Ignorance Still Spreading...

What's Really Sad, Although Pope Francis
Is Willing to Throw Women to 'The Lions,' And Transgender Folk, Etc...

He Will Be Skewered Over Standing Up For the Humanity of Migrants,

at Least
where i live,
Sadly AS Such

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2024, 2:50 am

What a scumbag the Pope is. Yes, he's better than a lot of other Popes have been, but that's not saying much.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2024, 3:11 am

bee33 wrote:
What a scumbag the Pope is. Yes, he's better than a lot of other Popes have been, but that's not saying much.

Exactly how is he being a "scumbag" in that press conference?

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2024, 3:14 am

naturalplastic wrote:
bee33 wrote:

He's a scumbag for saying that abortion is killing a person.

And he's being a scumbag by being coy and implying one could see either candidate as the lesser of two evils instead of pointing to the obvious choice that has at least some humanity.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2024, 3:36 am

bee33 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
bee33 wrote:

And he's being a scumbag by being coy and implying one could see either candidate as the lesser of two evils instead of pointing to the obvious choice that has at least some humanity.

So...about your first point...your definition of a "scumbag" is "anyone who disagrees with you"?????

I am pro choice, and approve of this pope's more progressive tendencies, but I am realistic too. I dont ask a pope to stop being Catholic and to abandon Catholic doctrine.

About the second: same thing. Why is it the Pope's job to cater to your opinions?

Yes...this is not a normal American election between two garden variety candidates. One, Trump, is a threat to American democracy. But American democracy is a secular institution. Its not under the Pope's jurisdiction.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2024, 3:40 am

naturalplastic wrote:
bee33 wrote:

So...about your first point...your definition of a "scumbag" is "anyone who disagrees with you"?????

I am pro choice, and approve of this pope's more progressive tendencies, but I am realistic too. I dont ask a pope to stop being Catholic and to abandon Catholic doctrine.

About the second: same thing. Why is it the Pope's job to cater to your opinions?

Yes...this is not a normal American election between two garden variety candidates. One, Trump, is a threat to American democracy. But American democracy is a secular institution. Its not under the Pope's jurisdiction.

Trump is not just a threat to American democracy, he is a threat to humanity. The Pope has a responsibility in pointing that out. Surely you can see that that isn't just a point of view and that the other things that you say I simply disagree with are not that either. There is what is morally just and what is true, and what serves humanity, not just different opinions. You're being dishonest by pretending that basic matters of right and wrong are just personal preferences.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2024, 9:36 am

The problem is that for many Catholics and Evangelicals, "life" only refers to abortion.

Mention school shootings, war, black people being killed by rogue cops, et al, and these people are nowhere to be found. Only billionaires and fetuses matter to them.

Remember, we're talking about a group that will shield pedophile priests from prosecution, but go ballistic if sonebody eats meat on a Friday.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!