Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

19 Oct 2005, 11:30 pm

This is a thread I wanted to make to chat with some Christian Aspies. Please note that I do NOT wish to engage in debates in this thread over the existence or nonexistence of God. Leave it for another thread. If non-Christians wish to post here, please note the above. Thanks.

That being said, how are you guys?

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 3:30 am

So what do we talk about I would like to know. Before I proceed with anything about God, or being a Christian.

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

20 Oct 2005, 9:31 am

Well I wanted to talk to some of the Christian Aspies out there about the differences, if any, they find regarding how they live thier faith, how they deal with others, that sort of thing.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 9:55 am

Ok, sign me up.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 10:43 am

Grievous wrote:
Well I wanted to talk to some of the Christian Aspies out there about the differences, if any, they find regarding how they live thier faith, how they deal with others, that sort of thing.

Oh boy...I seem to have lot of differences with other christians. Sometimes to the point where I wonder if I'm reading the same Bible as they are, because Jesus was all about love and forgiveness, kindness and charity, compassion and sacrifice. That's the christianity I try to live. Also my worship is a lot different. I feel emotion through music a lot in general, and I am usually impacted by a specific truth through a song, rather than through a sermon or quote or bible verse. "Lord Of The Dance"(a traditional shaker hymn-to the tune of "tis a gift to be simple", if you know that song) is a big one for me right now(I have a ska version of it, lol...it's very interesting) Here are the lyrics

I danced in the morning when the world was begun,
And I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun,
And I came down from heaven and I danced on the earth,
At Bethlehem I had my birth.

Dance, then, wherever you may be;
I am the Lord of the Dance, said He.
And I’ll lead you all wherever you may be,
And I’ll lead you all in the dance, said He.

I danced for the scribe and the Pharisee,
But they would not dance and they would not follow me;
I danced for the fishermen, for James and John;
They came to me and the dance went on.

I danced on the sabbath when I cured the lame,
The holy people said it was a shame;
They whipped and they stripped and they hung me high;
And they left me there on a cross to die.

I danced on a Friday and the sky turned black;
It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back;
They buried my body and they thought I’d gone,
But I am the dance and I still go on.

They cut me down and I leapt up high,
I am the life that’ll never, never die;
I’ll live in you if you’ll live in me;
I am the Lord of the Dance, said he.

I was listening to that yesterday, and it hit me-dance wherever you may be..I am here...there is something God wants me to acomplish in the place I am right now, and I should be focusing on what He wants me to do where I am, not how I can get out of where I am. This is something I've always kind of known, but it really hit me. It is a double whammy 'cause my church had a missions conference last week, and I came away from it really wanting to do something for God, and I'm really searching to see what that thing is.

Anyways, so that mixed up post is where I am right now...not very comprehensible, I know :P

As a side note, what translation of the Bible does everyone use? I have the NIV and NKJ, but my main one is the Holman Christian Standard-I love it sooo much...I highly reccomend it to everyone! My church mostly uses KJV, which is enjoyable to read IMO, but especially hard for aspie sensibilities to understand, I think.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 11:00 am

Mockingbird wrote:
As a side note, what translation of the Bible does everyone use? I have the NIV and NKJ, but my main one is the Holman Christian Standard-I love it sooo much...I highly reccomend it to everyone! My church mostly uses KJV, which is enjoyable to read IMO, but especially hard for aspie sensibilities to understand, I think.

I use the New Living Translation. My church insists on the use of KJV when preaching from the pulpit and they recently wanted to change that rule - open it up to other translations as long as they meet certain criteria. You wouldn't believe the debate it caused. There were so many people upset about the proposed change (mostly older people). It had to be voted on and didn't end up passing so it'll stay the way it's always been... for now. Lol, part of the debate was "which other translations are acceptable, who determines what's ok and what's not, etc". Now there's one of those giant KJV bibles at the back of the sanctuary in the sound booth - someone attached a new cover page onto the front cover. The title of the book is now "The 4 Holy Translations of the Bible". lol

You said you have a ska version of the song you quoted - who's it by?

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

20 Oct 2005, 12:06 pm

Same here :D

Quote:
Oh boy...I seem to have lot of differences with other christians. Sometimes to the point where I wonder if I'm reading the same Bible as they are, because Jesus was all about love and forgiveness, kindness and charity, compassion and sacrifice. That's the christianity I try to live. Also my worship is a lot different. I feel emotion through music a lot in general, and I am usually impacted by a specific truth through a song, rather than through a sermon or quote or bible verse

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 1:49 pm

Even I see it different from other Christians, just need to go to the Trinity thread and see my defferences that I have posted.

I still believe in God and Jesus but a little different from most Christians.

Myself!! !

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 2:27 pm

neongrl wrote:
You said you have a ska version of the song you quoted - who's it by?

The thing is, I have no idea. I got it off the internet, the recording studio/distributor/music company's name is Stone Groove, but I can't find any info on them either :cry: It's sad, 'cause the song is really well done.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2005, 4:52 pm

Normally, I fluctuate between KJV/NKJV and the Contemporary English Version. The church I attend uses the NASB, however. I don't like it as much, and rather enjoy the KJV for using various quotes and stuff because the language is beautiful, but the CEV is easier to understand. :|

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2005, 5:11 pm

http://hcsb.broadmanholman.com/crossmain.asp

Namiko, have you tried the HCS translation(link to entire Bible text above) It flows like the KJV, beautifully worded and very easy to understand :)

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2005, 5:15 pm

No, actually I haven't yet. I should try it eventually. :) *goes off to bookmark the site*

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

24 Oct 2005, 9:58 am

What do you guys think of witnessing? A co-leader in my Bible study and another student are going to go witnessing after I suggested it. How does one witness effectively in a conversation?

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2005, 2:34 pm

Mockingbird wrote:
Oh boy...I seem to have lot of differences with other christians. Sometimes to the point where I wonder if I'm reading the same Bible as they are, because Jesus was all about love and forgiveness, kindness and charity, compassion and sacrifice. That's the christianity I try to live.

Frankly, if you don't disagree with other Christians in some way, you're probably not very serious in your faith. Anyone who truly contemplates their faith will develop their own unique beliefs. So long as you don't disagree on the major points (Jesus is God, all have sinned and need grace, Jesus died to give that grace to the world, etcetera.) I don't think it really matters.

Mockingbird wrote:
As a side note, what translation of the Bible does everyone use?

NIV and NASB, I don't like paraphrased Bibles (the Message), and, even though NIV is my favorite, I tend to prefer translations made not on the basis of dynamic equivalence (Google it) but on a more formal equivalence.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2005, 4:34 pm

NIV and KJV. NLT annoys me becuase of how differently worded it is. NKJV is like bad poetry to me. I've never ben much into witnessing, but I defend Christianity when my friends or others attack it (rarely). I can't stand hypocrites, so I'm a bit lacking in Christian friends.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2005, 8:44 pm

Witnessing isn't something that comes easily to me, and I think my best way to witness would be throug the way I live my life, as well as the stuff I write. Everything that I write has some sort of Christian moral to it (a seed of truth), carefully inserted and woven into the storyline.

As for the NIV, I find it to be a bit overused by a lot of people. If something is too popular, it almost automatically looses my attention. :|