We live in today
Oh how
We have forgotten
They are polar opposites.

egodeus59
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2008, 4:20 am

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security"

I could lock you up in a cell your whole life, pump ya full of drugs, only feed you healthy foods, purify the air, ect and you'd be safe and you'd probably live a longer life, but would it be worth it? I could be hit by a car on the way to school Tuesday, but I still take the risk, because without some risk there's no purpose to life. The hard part is figuring a balance of risk and safety, of liberty and security.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 4:45 pm

Not just for people, it's the same in computing too...

I'm always arguing to give people a bit more freedom on their computers, but it's at the cost of security...

it parallels real life.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 8:46 pm

Give me liberty or give me death!

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 9:20 pm

That isn't true.

Freedom can be security.

Security can be freedom.

The two need to be balanced. They are not polar opposites, either.

We live in a world where there are downright brutal and barbaric people, who would harm and kill other people for various reasons. It is not some place where everyone can get along.

Without security, how will you have freedom from those who would harm you? No, I'm not forgetting the ruling class, but at the same time lay low and you should largely be just another bystander until you choose to fight. It's the principles of security that are good. Security, in general, is good. It's when that power is abused that a nation sways to totalitarianism.

Legato
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 11:50 pm

Anubis wrote:
That isn't true.

Freedom can be security.

Security can be freedom.

Anyone read 1987?

Anubis wrote:
The two need to be balanced...
We live in a world where there are downright brutal and barbaric people, who would harm and kill other people for various reasons. It is not some place where everyone can get along.

No one I know of would disagree.

Anubis wrote:
Without security, how will you have freedom from those who would harm you?

Sorry sir, but it is not freedom from, it's security from those who would harm you. There's no such thing as being "free" from harm in my eyes, since that idea is security, not freedom. Simply put, Freedom means being able to do something. Freedom means that a specific action is not prohibited by another force (keyword: force). I have the freedom to buy things, but I am secure from being bought, just as I do not have the freedom to buy others(I mean slaves).

Freedom is a misunderstood buzzword corrupted by modern english (both american and british) society through the use of propaganda starting as early as the WWI era.

Anubis wrote:
No, I'm not forgetting the ruling class, but at the same time lay low and you should largely be just another bystander until you choose to fight. It's the principles of security that are good. Security, in general, is good.

[sarcasm]Yes, I'm a fan of the "save you from yourself" attitude my government has adapted over the past 50 or so years.[/sarcasm] That is security. Securing the you from harm. It's illegal not to wear a seatbelt. I no longer have the freedom to choose to not wear a seat belt. Why? Insurance companies. Funny thing is, 30-40% of the time, seat belts cause more injuries, and sometimes even kill people (my sister's best friend would have been beheaded had she followed the law and worn her seatbelt), but due to a larger percentage of corporate profits, and more income to your local executive branch (the police), another seemingly meaningless freedom is chipped away in the name of securing you from injury.

Anubis wrote:
It's when that power is abused that a nation sways to totalitarianism.

When the power of security is abused, a nation sways to totalitarianism, he says.

Did he not just prove my point?