Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

To vote or not to vote, agitate, boycott, embargo, protest, parade? What do YOU DO?
vote in every election 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
vote in every election, and agitate, shop etc, in political aware way 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
vote sometimes, little else 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
vote occasionally, agitate, shop politically etc 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
vote rarely 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
vote rarely but agitate, shop politically etc 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
never vote, never do anything to register your political opinions 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
never vote, but do agitate, shop politically etc. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Feb 2008, 6:02 pm

:!: PS: please don't vote in poll if not of voting age, thank you. :)

i just realised that at the age of 44 i have never voted; i have thought of doing so on a couple of occasions, but never had a voting card at the right moment. ( changes of address etc contributing significantly to this recurring situation).
And thinking about it see how my political activism/expression has in fact been limited to buying organic for longish periods, walking, or bussing, everywhere, ( but then i had never learned to drive, cos my parents didn't, because they have always thought that public transport is best), and keeping down my heating bills by turning down the heating ( being chronically poor for many years helped alot in my being eco-conscious!!). By not working for the private sector for more than 2 years in my whole life also.

But in last few years have even stopped buying organic etc. My son home-unschools; that is about as actively political as i get. And i do think it is quite radical. But... nothing else.

Sooo... who here votes how often? And if not much, what do you do to make any kind of political impact? Are you making your opinion heard/felt anywhere?

8)

Last edited by ouinon on 23 Feb 2008, 3:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 8:16 pm

Oh, I thought this was going to be about the Ron Paul Freedom March on Washington DC. I don't actively participate in political events aside from voting, but I might visit the district on that day just to see what transpires.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 9:38 pm

I am not eligible to vote, but I participate in rallies every now & then.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Feb 2008, 5:17 am

How many other people simply don't speak up in any way? i think for ages i didn't even think there was any point; the green agenda was derisory and anyway the world was coming to an end very soon.
Who else behaves as if we live in a dictatorship/monarchy/meritocracy or something, in which we have no say, rather than a democracy? 8O :?:

8)

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 6:28 am

I have always been quite politically active. I think politics is something people with AS can excell in- it uses the qualities of interupting, monolouging and having strong opinions to the full. No one in the political groups has called me wierd but thought I was an asset standing up and saying things that others are to shy to say. Thinking outside the box is so needed in politics. I think at the moment we dont have a democracy- in ancient greece all citizens voted on each thing ( referendum) we could have that now with the tech we have as we do it on tv shows all the time but I dont think the polititions would like that- what we have is not democracy but is the reign of 300 tyrants (plato and krytas in ancient athens reference). I think everyone should get involved in their local political group and pressure groups- amnesty international has achieved so much..... if all else fails just live a productive lifestyle doing what you know is right.

Everchanging
Toucan
Toucan

Location: In my ivory tower where I don't have to pretend to care what you think any more.

23 Feb 2008, 7:00 am

I voted for the first time last year, for the Green Party in the Scottish parliament elections. Had I realised beforehand the election was rigged I wouldn't have.

I will be voting for the incumbent Lib Dem MP at the next UK election just to keep Labour out.