The complete and utter pointlessness of life

Page 1 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

ScurvyKnave
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jul 2009, 11:36 pm

Quote:
I sort of oscillate between semi-spiritual optimism and utter nihilism.

Me too. At times (like right now) I go through phases where I feel so hollow, not a shred of emotion, and I cannot bring myself to believe that there is an ounce of meaning to it all. At other times I am on top of the world, and I begin to feel a deep sense of 'spirituality', or perhaps more accurately a sense that there is some deeper meaning and beauty to it all, even if I don't quite know what it is.

Unfortunately, times like right now make it seem like the sense of purpose and fulfilment I feel at those times is nothing more than an increased presence of certain chemicals in my brain. Is a sense of happiness, hope and spirituality meaningful if this is the case?

Quote:
On the other hand, I do wonder if this might actually be a psychological response to a very stressful period in my life

I identify with what you are saying here. It seems that if one does not fight the despair, eventually the despair gives way to a strength born of emptiness and lack of emotion. I have come to fear the manic periods that feel so good, because I've come to realize that the feeling of invincibility is short-lived and leads to suffering when it departs. I sometimes wonder if I should try to keep myself in this more stable 'hollow' state.

I've wondered for a while whether I should see somebody about my instability, perhaps take antidepressants. But what would be the point? I guess its like the choice between the red pill and the blue pill -- a life of content delusion, or knowing the truth.

I am an overachiever. Like you, I have spent much time striving to achieve my dreams. But in the end, the reality turns out to be a different beast. Now, for the first time that I can remember, I have no goals. Sure I could formulate new goals (strive to do well in the career I worked so hard towards), but I think I've lost the passion for it.

Despite all of this, and despite my deep cynicism, in a strange way it feels like, for the first time in years, I am experiencing life fully. I've been thinking about letting go of chasing worldly pursuits and simply doing nothing for a while. Just being.

Wow, this has been very cathartic, until now I had only thought all of this, not spoken about it.

Last edited by ScurvyKnave on 22 Jul 2009, 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScurvyKnave
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jul 2009, 11:57 pm

It seems that our entire lives are one long struggle to come to terms with our impending death and an answer to the question "why are we here?". From my own experience it seems that a strong belief in an afterlife and the optimistic conviction that there is some sort of meaning are only really possible during what seem to me like manic periods. As soon as the 'mojo' wears off, there is an inevitable downer as one starts to fear / realize that it is only an illusion.

I suspect that religious folk secretly harbor a far deeper fear than we who have abandoned faith. I think that this is one of the tragedies of life -- it can seem so beautiful when you are young, but life eventually betrays and dissapoints you. As we get older it becomes more difficult to cling to faith, yet that is when we need it most.

Before I hit 20 I had all the answers -- I was convinced I had 'discovered' the meaning of it all. "Surely if I have reached such a noble state at this young age, I will become a spiritual prodigy with age" I would think. Over time my convictions have only lessened and my idealism fallen away.

ScurvyKnave
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jul 2009, 12:54 am

Upon further reflection, it seems that the path to true contentment lies in the abandonment of all belief, desires and hopes (and thereby being unburdened of all fear and worry). Perhaps the abandonment of the quest for meaning is the only true path to fulfilment.

I have encountered a few philosophies which endorse this mindset:
a) the book "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle (quite popular at the moment)
b) Tao ("Without desire there is tranquillity")
c) The ancient Greek school of Cynicism ("The road to virtue is to free oneself from any influence such as wealth, fame, or power, which have no value in Nature.").

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 1:48 am

skafather84 wrote:
you are now free and you have no clue what to do with your freedom.

its true...its a great paradox of life....freedom can be very oppressive! I was very depressed after high school. There were too many choices ...too many possibilities. Sometimes when there is too much, it can seem like there is nothing. This may be especially true for aspies who tend to obsess over one thing. I think you just need a new obsession...a new passion, and you will come across it in time.

my suggestion: enjoy it. try anything and everything (within reason of not hurting anyone else...too much).

it sounds more like you've run out of ideas or are getting too lazy. get out, do the work, get something done.

how old are you?

also: sounds like your serotonin is zeroing out. i know i have similar thoughts and feelings when my chemicals go all wacky. might want to recheck your dose or get something else. you can claim that you're not depressed but your choice in words suggests otherwise.

but i won't talk much more about that, i only had mostly horrible experiences with Rx drugs that are supposed to make you happy/not hate life or whatever.

enamdar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jul 2009, 1:59 am

Well if you consider that the evil of the world of nature is natural disaster and scarcity. But by far the greater source of evil in the world is man. So struggling against the dark forces of chaos and egoism at one time gave me purpose. But in the end struggling against an entire black ocean of despair was too much for me. The only bite of conscience on me is that there are others who live in this cruel world who fight my fight against these villains. And that to fall into wretched apathy is to abandon them. But lately thats not enough for me. The enemy mountain just seems so insurmountable that I fight more in existential metaphysics than in strategy and tactics. It is true that we have no free will, but it is not some Calvinistic creator who writes our destiny but man. Thus we have free will in the struggle of man against man. Or at least a chance to attack our determined fate even if it is ultimately futile.

Perambulator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2009, 3:24 am

Can I lend those of you who think life is pointless a purpose? If nothing else, you can click once a day on a button on this website to save 10 square feet of rainforest daily.

www.therainforestsite.com

Whether you do it to try to save endangered species or fight global warming it's something to keep you busy. There are more people in this world who don't make an effort for the environment than do - so you can feel purpose in being one of the people making a good effort.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 4:04 am

I'm of the opinion that life remains essentially pointless regardless of whether we persuade ourselves to believe that it's not.

Fortunately, it's fairly easy to persuade ourselves to believe anything we happen to be attracted to - even that pressing a mark on a computer screen will save an area of rainforest, apparently.

With a little care, we can choose things to believe in that actually move some resource or another. No, we can choose things to believe in that motivate us to take actions that actually move some resource or another. Saving a child from an awful fate, or feeding the homeless perhaps. It's not uncommon for the taking of such actions, especially in partnership with other people, to create the sorts of oxytocin levels that lock belief into place.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 5:52 am

merrymadscientist wrote:

I am aware that this sounds like something someone very depressed would say, but I am not - I am not in pain or suffering particularly, I even have a fairly good life (going by the standards), but I am just constantly aware of how pointless it is. This is why I have put this in the philosophy section - I would like to start a discussion about whether life is really worth living (philosophically speaking) and if so how and why and what to do to not waste it.

If you have a personal reason for staying alive, there is a point to it. I like playing with my grand-children. That is point enough. There are other things I like to do also. They are point enough.

The lack of a global, universal purpose for living is of no relevance whatsoever.

ruveyn

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 6:33 am

This may sound strange but when I look up at the stars or think about the vast span of human history and realize how insignificant I am, it actually comforts me. I'm happier when I don't take myself so seriously.It takes the pressure off.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 11:02 pm

I guess if you really think about it, it's more logical to just disappear rather than continue living.

For a long time I felt worthless and was embarrassed of myself for not being a normal member of society. Realizing it was a major blow. Accepting it was a long depressing journey. I told my psychologist that I'm no longer depressed about it and that accepting the fact that I'll always be an outsider is liberating in a sense because no one expects anything from me. She said that is a good attitude to have. I think she is a moron for saying that. Even the craziest and dumbest people should be embraced by society. I think people get worse when there is no one around to really see them and understand them the way people need to be understood. Perhaps that is why many turn to religion. Believing in God is like having an imaginary friend. Most humans feel a need to belong, to be accepted, and to be loved for who they really are.

In the past, disabled people served valuable roles in society. I think the age of reason has displaced many people who would otherwise be able to contribute something to humanity. Nowadays it is most useful for people to work for corporations. Everyone values normalcy to a point where individuality becomes lost and people display their egotistical facades to impress rather than connect with other people. I don't see any meaning to that kind of existence either.

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 11:19 pm

Magnus wrote:
I guess if you really think about it, it's more logical to just disappear rather than continue living.

For a long time I felt worthless and was embarrassed of myself for not being a normal member of society. Realizing it was a major blow. Accepting it was a long depressing journey. I told my psychologist that I'm no longer depressed about it and that accepting the fact that I'll always be an outsider is liberating in a sense because no one expects anything from me. She said that is a good attitude to have. I think she is a moron for saying that. Even the craziest and dumbest people should be embraced by society. I think people get worse when there is no one around to really see them and understand them the way people need to be understood. Perhaps that is why many turn to religion. Believing in God is like having an imaginary friend. Most humans feel a need to belong, to be accepted, and to be loved for who they really are.

In the past, disabled people served valuable roles in society. I think the age of reason has displaced many people who would otherwise be able to contribute something to humanity. Nowadays it is most useful for people to work for corporations. Everyone values normalcy to a point where individuality becomes lost and people display their egotistical facades to impress rather than connect with other people. I don't see any meaning to that kind of existence either.

As someone continually disappointed with the aims and accomplishments of society I find that life is unendingly rewarding in my exploration of individual understanding of the universe and all its integrated forces. Social human life beyond the basics of life maintenance and the wonderful wealth of true scientific understanding and the control that donates seems to me to be too trivial to cause much consternation. Religion is total nonsense outside of the good will and energy it donates to helping humans and other life contend with an environment that can be both enjoyable and a dire threat to the existence of life. The mere fact that I as an individual out of billions upon billions of unsuccessful sperm and egg opportunities that never made it into existence have been given this rare and very short opportunity to look at existence is a daily thrill to me and presents enjoyable experiences and insights that leave no room for boredom. I have had a long and not particularly successful life measured by some of the more prominent humans but I am very grateful to be alive and healthy.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2009, 8:16 am

Sand wrote:

As someone continually disappointed with the aims and accomplishments of society I find that life is unendingly rewarding in my exploration of individual understanding of the universe and all its integrated forces. Social human life beyond the basics of life maintenance and the wonderful wealth of true scientific understanding and the control that donates seems to me to be too trivial to cause much consternation. Religion is total nonsense outside of the good will and energy it donates to helping humans and other life contend with an environment that can be both enjoyable and a dire threat to the existence of life. The mere fact that I as an individual out of billions upon billions of unsuccessful sperm and egg opportunities that never made it into existence have been given this rare and very short opportunity to look at existence is a daily thrill to me and presents enjoyable experiences and insights that leave no room for boredom. I have had a long and not particularly successful life measured by some of the more prominent humans but I am very grateful to be alive and healthy.

Not a single one of your ancestors, going all the way back to single cell organisms, died prior to reproducing successfully.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2009, 8:46 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

Not a single one of your ancestors, going all the way back to single cell organisms, died prior to reproducing successfully.

ruveyn

And what would be the probability, in your estimation, of the particular sperm and egg that fashioned me to beat out all those other sperm and eggs that could have taken my place in my mother's womb?

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2009, 12:52 pm

Sand, are you suggesting that the fact that you beat all the other sperm cells in the race, that it was meaningful in any way?
Because some would chalk up that experience to complete randomness.

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2009, 1:28 pm

Magnus wrote:
Sand, are you suggesting that the fact that you beat all the other sperm cells in the race, that it was meaningful in any way?
Because some would chalk up that experience to complete randomness.

Although undoubtedly my sperm had a rather efficient tail, I am merely saying that the chance of my sperm creating me was rather small and I am del ghted it gave me the opportunity to be alive which was a long shot. I greatly appreciate this opportunity.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 2:44 pm

Sand wrote:

Although undoubtedly my sperm had a rather efficient tail, I am merely saying that the chance of my sperm creating me was rather small and I am del ghted it gave me the opportunity to be alive which was a long shot. I greatly appreciate this opportunity.

That makes everyone alive a Winner. So why do people whine and complain so much?

ruveyn