Velociraptor

17 Apr 2008, 9:26 pm

http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/24513

Woman like that need to be sent to jail for murder. ><

foxman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2008, 9:46 pm

Murder? I wouldn't put it that strongly. The personal and individual belief's regarding a fetus's status as a "person" are religious and therefore should not be governmentally mandated.

However, I do agree that her subject matter could be seen as trivializing what is for many women a serious and painful choice.

But then, if art isn't the place to examine such an issue, what is? While her art might not please, the fact that it has sparked such controversy means that she achieved her goal.

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2008, 9:53 pm

I'm all for pro-choice, but that is outrageous. She is abusing a woman's right to an abortion (which is conducted for good and legitimate reasons), abusing her own body, and exemplifying the pro-lifers' reasons why such a thing should not be permitted.
As I said, I'm pro-choice for sure, but I side with the idea that this is a trivialization and an abuse of a traumatic experience for a woman. Just because a subject is controversial doesn't mean you can take it to extremes to provoke a discussion. Assisted suicide of the handicapped and ill is controversial, but you can't just do that and call it art. Eugenics is controversial, but you can't just do that and call it art.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 9:56 pm

Oooh, sounds german.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 9:58 pm

I have always believed in pro-choice, but this is monstrous, and its going to set back the pro-choice movement 50 years

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2008, 10:01 pm

Averick wrote:
Oooh, sounds german.

Nope, she's a Yale university senior.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 10:20 pm

Goche21 wrote:
Averick wrote:
Oooh, sounds german.

Then her parents must of read the Grimm Fairy Tales to her as a child.

LOL

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2008, 10:26 pm

Averick wrote:
Goche21 wrote:
Averick wrote:
Oooh, sounds german.

Then her parents must of read the Grimm Fairy Tales to her as a child.

LOL

I read somewhere it may be a hoax, but it does raise the issue of should the govenment regulate how many abortions a woman has, and for what reasons?

Is it right to let a woman use abortion to abuse her body, or as a form of birth control again and again?

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 10:38 pm

Well for art, that would be hard to correlate what is considered taboo.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 10:48 pm

Sounds really stupid. This can't be good for her.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 10:57 pm

Subversive art, challenging your aesthetic and moral preconceptions and inspiring you to intelligent "discourse" :wtg:

Where would we be without demonstrations like these? In a philosophical stone age no doubt!

FleaCircus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Apr 2008, 11:08 pm

if the artist wanted to exhibit embryos
couldn't she just use an already aborted fetuses(assuming that would be easier to do whever she might live)
that way, it won't mess up her body from getting pregnant over and over.

:eew: :eew:

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2008, 1:14 am

lol

RainKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2008, 1:36 am

Jeyradan wrote:
I'm all for pro-choice, but that is outrageous. She is abusing a woman's right to an abortion (which is conducted for good and legitimate reasons), abusing her own body, and exemplifying the pro-lifers' reasons why such a thing should not be permitted.
As I said, I'm pro-choice for sure, but I side with the idea that this is a trivialization and an abuse of a traumatic experience for a woman. Just because a subject is controversial doesn't mean you can take it to extremes to provoke a discussion. Assisted suicide of the handicapped and ill is controversial, but you can't just do that and call it art. Eugenics is controversial, but you can't just do that and call it art.

So, according to you, a woman's right to an abortion should be contingent upon how accidental or frequent her pregnancies are, so we need thought police who investigate a woman's correctness of moral intent before she can have an abortion. I'll just go with the unrestricted right and let artists do what they want. I believe in freedom, and I don't believe in enforcing morality.

I think that the description given of the artwork sounds great. I'd bet that it's a visually enjoyable as well as provocative piece.

Neolmas
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Apr 2008, 4:45 am

I'm with Twoshots on this one, I respect her project. For one, there's no way to know if she actually did what the project is claiming, the blood could have come from her menstrual cycle or anything really.

The main point though is that this project, while it appears to be about a woman's choices regarding terminating pregnancy, it's actually about our culture's mentality regarding the phenomenon. The discourse she hopes to provoke is not about "is abortion a right", it's "why does our society think the way it does about abortion?". Ideally, we're supposed to re-examine the motives and mentalities behind our opinions and stances.

For instance, the person who started this thread claims to believe that the artist should be murdered for what she did. That says a lot more about the person who posted than it does about the piece. It's exactly that that is supposed to be brought to light.

Lastly, even if she did intentionally miscarry some pregnancies, it's hardly abortion. Although I haven't seen it, the concept of the exhibit is pretty tame. She could have used months-old fetuses for her display, that would really shock people. As is, it's really just blood and tissue, no different from a period. Any fetal cells would still have been microscopic still at those stages.

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2008, 7:21 am

I had never said she needed to be murdered Neolmas, I think you need to reread my post.

I said she needs to be put in jail for murder. To deliberately create a life for the purpose of destroying it is disgusting and should be illegal.