Update on Aspie Kid Voted Out of Class

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 2:05 pm

:D http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-beat ... 27272.html

This is great. The kid is doing well and succeeding all on his own in a school that's alot more tolerant and understanding of his behavior.

One thing that drove me up a wall about the whole Wendy Portillo incident is that EVERYONE in the community was taking Portillo's side instead of the Bartons. They even had the school board hearing to reinstate Portillo's job without notifying the Barton family. Quite backstabbing. And everyone keeps saying that it's the mom's fault for coddling the kid. :roll:

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 2:29 pm

Michael Weiner, alias Savage, would not be too pleased to hear of these developments.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 3:43 pm

Owww, that incident made my blood boil. If one teacher could be shipped off to Guantanamo... that was unacceptable behaviour from the teacher. Even if the mother was spoiling the kid or not raising him well, or whatever the arguments were at the time.

It is good there are organizations that take effort to put children trough regular schooling. Good for Alex.

This article also made me realize I was lucky I was awarded a really good case manager.

linah
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Oct 2009, 6:18 pm

What a horrible teacher...

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 7:21 pm

It's great the kid is doing much better in a more tolerant community...

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 8:31 pm

xenon13 wrote:
Michael Weiner, alias Savage, would not be too pleased to hear of these developments.

Well, its already been confirmed that he is a [radio edit] who [radio edit]s his [radio edit] and is considered to be a [elongated radio edit] by the rest of civilized society, so whatever he says, no one should care.

Thats good though. I'll bet that the [radio edit] teacher is silently fuming while mopping the floor of a high school in Detroit. Poetic justice will prevail.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Mainichi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2009, 8:43 pm

I'm very happy to hear that he is doing well at his new school. However the teacher still is an evil teacher.

IMForeman
Raven
Raven

05 Nov 2009, 1:27 pm

The fact that people would side with that scumbag teacher disgusts me.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 1:50 pm

Some people should legally not be working with children. Wendy Portillo is certainly one of those people, and she needs to find a new profession. It's VERY upsetting that she was not stripped of her teaching credentials. They should have at least filed a lawsuit against her and/or the school.

Even if the boy doesn't have to deal with the teacher anymore, in the end, the teacher still won.

MagnusArmstrong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2009, 7:25 pm

Man I am so glad I transfered out of school because I am surprised never happend to me because the pawtucket school department is anything but understanding.The sad part is there is no school for kids with AS in my piece crap state of rhode island the nearest one is in conneticut which is for those from wealthy families which mean every one in connecticut and definatly not my family.I cant belive they let the teacher back though but in another way it doesn't surprise me.

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Nov 2009, 8:06 pm

What I found very odd is the fact that previous news stories had described her as being tenured.

I find that very odd for a Kindergarten teacher. When educators speak of tenure, they are pretty much always referring to high school and college/university teachers/professors.

Which leads me to believe that she was in a position where she "had to leave" a previous job for some reason or another, and got stuck with kindergarteners. Of course, she assumed that nothing would go wrong, seeing as how kindergarteners "won't talk back", but it backfired when she attempted a stunt that might have gone over in a University classroom but was an absolute disaster when inflicted on a five-year-old.

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Nov 2009, 8:09 pm

Double post

Google
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Nov 2009, 10:32 pm

Some students and even teachers can be so cruel. :( Glad to know he's doing well now.

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 2:33 pm

Wow what a evil witch. I happy the kid is doing well but what a failing on the part of the school bord to keep this woman teaching.

IMForeman
Raven
Raven

07 Nov 2009, 2:36 pm

CRD wrote:
Wow what a evil witch. I happy the kid is doing well but what a failing on the part of the school bord to keep this woman teaching.

For me it serves to underline how much further we have to go in raising awareness of the difficulties faced by children on the spectrum.

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2009, 3:11 pm

That teacher was just lucky that wasn't my kid, she'd still be in the hospital by now.