What's your take on the whole Haiti situation?

Page 4 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 3:48 am

It's strange to hear people talking about "anger at delays in aid" and so on. Anger? At help people are providing free, doing their best under the circumstances, help which they're under no obligation to provide at all? There's a simple response to that. :roll:

The year is still young.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 9:10 am

I agree. Although Haiti needs these aid, it's good enought hat the aid came...

Plus, the neighbors seem not to do their job as good neighbors. Tough uck on the Haitians and they'd suffered, but they are helpless in this earthquake. Just let the anarchy go on, because this should be normal in dire circumstances...

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 12:00 pm

Haiti has been kept from forming a government of the people. They are very close to Cuba, and for political reasons, America has appointed the government.

It is a full UN takeover, and as such, they are fully in charge and responable for the health and well being of the people.

Haiti shocked the world in 1803, slaves drove France out, then formed a government. America did not like the idea. Everything has been done to hinder self rule.

Compared with the Dominican Republic, same island, same people, much better economy. Haiti is as it is because of outside intervention. Freedom is something that the white European massas will give you when they think you are ready, it is not something for people of color to steal.

Haiti was an early version of what happened to Cuba, and other countries that thought to rule themselves.

Haiti did pay the French for the land and themselves, only to be re enslaved by the Americans, and kept in a slave reservation.

Before the quake Cuba had 300 doctors there, they have stayed, more came, and no mention in the American and European press. America sent troops and an aircraft carrier?

Blockaded by sea and air, by Americans, no water or food, and when when people dig through the ruins for survival, they are called looters and troops must restore order and security before food, water, medical treatment can begin? Just like New Orleans.

The American disaster plan is based on a city in revolt. New Orleans got blockaded and F-14 fighters flying over. I am sure they were fully armed. I would bet they are flying low over Haiti now.

black220
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jan 2010, 1:00 pm

Why is it that Americans make such a big fuss about helping Haiti when at the same time they're causing so much death and destruction in the Middle East? Why is it not okay to discriminate against Blacks, but it's no big deal when it comes to Muslims?

That said, let's help clean up the mess in Haiti and then stay out of their internal affairs.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 10:45 pm

black220 wrote:
Why is it that Americans make such a big fuss about helping Haiti when at the same time they're causing so much death and destruction in the Middle East? Why is it not okay to discriminate against Blacks, but it's no big deal when it comes to Muslims?

That said, let's help clean up the mess in Haiti and then stay out of their internal affairs.

I wish the same situation can be done in Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and any other place that Americans are in.

Except my native country - Singapore. They'd done a good job in securing my nation's security with their presence!

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 3:37 am

The two natural parties in Haiti are the artists and musicians. Everyone, including Communists and Jihadists, will work to keep them from taking power anywhere.

The UN Scam, government workers can get an even better job through the UN. The governmet they started from can be voted out, and they remain UN employed.

Next, someone gets paid for all of the food and water, transport, storage, and roads, airports, docks, are profitable contracts. UN workers lobby for various factions, just like Congress does in the US. The $600 toilet seat was not a cover for black ops, it was a toilet seat, most likely several hundred, and someone bought the job.

Louisiana rice is sent to Haiti, the UN pays more, plus transport, and Haiti could grow their own, but the UN sells rice for less than production cost. We do the same with corn in Mexico. Keeping people from becoming self supporting gives long term customers for doners.

Grants and loans come with strings, $20,000,000 to buy French goods, and a $50,000,000 loan at high interest. France just had to forgive that loan.

Our man in Haiti is the one who will "Invite" the US to occupy, just in case too many Cubans show up. Besides the locals, the French still try to hold influance. Their space program is in Gyana, they have islands, with French hotels, they vacation there, and sell French goods.

The UN is a way to avoid trade wars, American, British, French, German goods are supplied through the UN to non functional states, it is an outgrowth of WWI and WWII, which were the old way trade was arranged.

Security was contracted to Brazil, and American Missionaries account for most of the 45,000 Americans. Considering that Haitians live on $1 a day, a missionary with a few thousand a month coming in can live like a king, with a half dozen black servants.

It is a serial mission, the first group raises english speaking children who do not fit in to Haiti, who then become employed as the servants of later missions.

This could be an Aspie oppertunity. Haiti is not crowded, just in the cities, there are a lot of rural white sand beaches with palm trees, good fishing, and locals who will work for $1 a day, with no employment laws. The cruise ships have walled resorts, armed guards, and five star service.

The next major quake should be in several hundred years. Currently it is a distressed property. Most of Port a Prince will be leveled, the epicenter, out along the bay, and that is a good location. The third of Haiti that lived there will have to move.

For a while it will be tent city, till the next hurricane, free food and water, but after that, a roof, a job at $1 a day, and food and water, will be the best offer.

Everyone is slow on the rescue, they complained from day one. Disaster response seems to be learned on the job, like Brownie who headed FEMA after being the head of some horse breeders group. No more Katrina's, has turned into a Haiti that is a hundred times worse. Everyone was glad to leave New Orleans, half in ruins. Haiti will be worse.

So a group that would be willing to invest in the rebuild will get a lot of support.

I would not give to the Red Cross, I met them. Most of their aid was run by Scientology, who were recuiting, and through churches, who packed up containers and sent them to their missions.

Haitians will get food, water, clothes, medical care, no one knows what to do for homes, and what they want are jobs, which are in short supply.

Any long term projects will be welcome.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 9:28 am

black220 wrote:

half of the stuff that this nation does ( government and people ) confuses the hell outta me. I think we are the perfect example of what people would call a backwards country! :lol:

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 10:13 am

black220 wrote:
Why is it not okay to discriminate against Blacks, but it's no big deal when it comes to Muslims?

Skin colour is intrinsic. Religion is extrinsic.

The year is still young.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 10:14 am

Ambivalence wrote:
black220 wrote:
Why is it not okay to discriminate against Blacks, but it's no big deal when it comes to Muslims?

Skin colour is intrinsic. Religion is extrinsic.

Oh I see. It is unfortunate...

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 1:22 pm

I wrote a proper reply, but it's too much of a tangent to the OP. 8)

The year is still young.

gypsyRN
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2010, 5:42 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
I'm already sick of hearing about it myself. I saw it on the news and said great now we have to hear about this for 1 to 2 weeks. Dad was like people died. IMO PEOPLE DIE EVERYDAY! Plus it's in no relation to me if it was I'd be emotionally invested in what happen but I could care less. (I'm sorry for being selffish but I always have been this way and unless it relates to me I could care less.) :-)

I've hardly heard about it at all. Why? I don't watch television.

But it breaks my heart.

The sick irony is that Haitians already lived in a virtual hell and few people seemed to care. People are NOW sending money, whereas if a little more had been invested in the country beforehand, the aftermath might not be as bad.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 7:50 pm

So, we can take care of the immediate need best for can, (and for those of us living in the U.S., they are a neighbor) and maybe we then get on a roll and take care of some of the background issues.

Something to hope for.

(and reminding myself that economics is supposed to be win-win)

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 11:27 pm

I'm a parent. One of the hardest things in life to deal with is when your child is hurting and there's nothing you can do to help. Whether it's a stomach ache, emotional pain, stress from school, or whatever...as a parent, you want to ease their pain and help them get through it.

When I think of all the moms in Haiti, whose children are dying of thirst, or trapped under their own houses, bleeding, frightened, and in pain...and those moms are powerless to do much to help them, it's unfathomable. I'm not a very emotional person, but it's hard to think of that without welling up with tears. It's just a small step to imagine my own kids in that situation, and me being completely helpless.

Just because these people are used to being dirt poor and having a hard life doesn't make their suffering any less. In fact, I'd say it makes it more.

It's not earthquakes that are bad. It's poverty.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 2:35 am

Ironically, if California is struck by earthquakes, it would probably have some money to rebuild the whole parts that are destroyed. Whereas Haiti is literally destroyed flat... by an earthquake, just because it has no money to build earthwuake resilient structures or have enough money to repair buildings...

Sigh.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 10:56 pm

I can see the point the original poster is making. For example, with the television reporter, with have a very well-groomed, well-spoken person--- and these upward-climbing television "personalities" can be as shallow and callow as . . . The hair is more important than the story! (probably unfair, but people do dislike the media for all kinds of reasons)

and this person is trying to emote, is trying to conjure emotion. And we're supposed go along.

And it can come across as phoney-baloney as all get-out!

Well, we resist. Of course we do. We resist being played. (Sometimes I think we might need to reinvent journalism, a more citizens-based approach.) (And can't we just be ourselves? Of course we can!)

+++++++++++++

Still, it is a serious humanitarian situation. We should not let the fact that they're doing it wrong prevent us for doing it right.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 11:07 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:

Still, it is a serious humanitarian situation. We should not let the fact that they're doing it wrong prevent us for doing it right.

I agree. But we still have to carry on helping Haiti now weeks after the terrible disaster!