Fever can unlock autism's grip: study (Reuters)

Page 4 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

longNstrong
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jun 2010, 7:21 pm

Pandoran-March wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I never knew that autism had a grip. I thought that it was a disorder, that just was. I've never seen it, as a monster.

It is just a disorder. Milder forms provide a unique way of thinking that can be beneficial, but in more severe forms an effective treatment could be immensely beneficial.

Even having something for AS kids to take on the way to school, so they don't struggle to fit in, could have immense benefit for a large number of individuals.

Social change is still necessary, but this can lighten up some of the troubles until that happens. (Provided we get effective treatments on time.)

I have scientific and philosophical issues with many of the ways of describing it. Disorder implies that order is common, which I doubt. I just think of AS as a set of descriptions that some of share...And I think AS has both positives and negatives, like just about anything. The issue with fever that interests me is it's ability to ameliorate certain things that vex me. But fever never changes the unique things from AS that I cherish, at least not that I can notice.