Older fathers more likely to have autistic children

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Featherways
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2006, 8:23 am

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 15,00.html

is the web address for an article in today's Times newspaper (UK) about older fathers being far more likely to have children who are autistic.

"A study involving more than 100,000 children found that those born to fathers aged 40 and over were nearly six times more likely to suffer from autism and related disorders than those with a father under 30."

I was wondering whether they have cause and effect the wrong way round. Do some people who choose to have children when older, do so because they find relationships more difficult and therefore they are perhaps undiagnosed ASD themselves?

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 8:39 am

I think this is definately because Aspie fathers tend to marry much later than their female counterparts. Therefore, when their offspring inherent the AS gene, it seems it's the father's age causes more instances of autism.

Blueice
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Sep 2006, 12:09 pm

My father was 40 years old when I was born. I hope this does not stop older people from having kids.

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

05 Sep 2006, 1:36 pm

Blueice wrote:
My father was 40 years old when I was born

Same here.

Blueice wrote:
I hope this does not stop older people from having kids.

With the glut of humans on this planet I would say that any excuse for not breeding is a good one :twisted:

Sweet_Angell
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Sep 2006, 8:26 pm

My father was 48...

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2006, 3:31 pm

yey now i have a reason to date an older man!:D and i actually have an answer if people bother me about it

kat_dreams
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Sep 2006, 10:52 pm

My AS's child's father (my husband) was all of 23 when our child was born. I see a great deal of AS characteristics in my side of the family though. I'm convinced my neice has AS, but my sister won't hear of it. I also see the characteristics in my mom and myself. /shrug.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2006, 7:24 am

My father was only 19 when I was born, and I have AS.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2006, 7:12 pm

My dad was 29 (turning 30) when I was born; and my mum was 27 (turning 28) during that time.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Foible
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Sep 2006, 7:36 pm

I'm the youngest child, so yes, my Father was older when I was conceived - but I'm 99% sure my Father is an Aspie if not a HFA - his symptoms are far more obvious than mine. My Mother may have been a mild Aspie as well (her most obvious "symptom" was that everyone thought she was simpleminded but the woman was BRILLIANT) thus adding to the genetic stew. My most likely Aspie (undiagnosed - he'd never, ever, ever want or admit a diagnosis) Brother got married at almost 40.

Most men are done having kids by 40 - Aspie men are likely just starting out at 40.

Foible

25 Sep 2006, 7:38 pm

Oh, I had to add this - my paternal Grandmother was 38 when she had my Dad and Grandpa was significantly older than she.

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2006, 3:32 pm

I was 44 when we had my PDD son and 46 when my PDD daughter was born, so I guess that fits. We lost 4 babies at different times during pregnancy, before my son was born, so it's not that we were trying to be old parents. It just worked out that way.

My dad was 28 and my mom 17 when they had me, But I believe my mom is the Aspie, not my dad. I also think my grandfather on my mom's side may have been. He was 28 when my mom was born.

My brother who was born two years after me does not seem to be on the spectrum at all, nor either of his sons.
However, my brother's youngest son, my favorite nephew, was diagnosed with ADD in the early '90s.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 2:17 pm

My father was around 45 when I was born, I don’t think that was the reason. My mother side of the family is a big family, they have a tendency to f**k cousin (sick bustards) there is a fare amount of autism in that side of the family.

Philostrate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2006, 3:34 am

My father was 42 when I was born and I do suspect he might have AS, but he had three childreen from a previous marriage... I don't think they've mixed cause and effect in this case, but it is a good point.

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 4:23 am

My dad was 21 i believe

Rory
Raven
Raven

04 Oct 2006, 7:23 am

My father was 38 and my mother was 41 when I was born. I was the only child. But neither of my parents had ASD.