NOT GOOD, Connecticut shooter was diagnosed with Aspergers..

Page 19 of 28 [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 28  Next

DecafeMan
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Dec 2012, 4:50 pm

Only a few good friends of mine know about my Aspergers and I know there judgement is a lot better. Except for one, I need to make sure she doesn't perceive me as some kind of threat.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 5:06 pm

Todesking wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Hello Todesking,I'm a Ozark Hillbilly.
Dr.Gupta has been talking about violence in the media and video games,of course most gamers are just having fun but there may be some people with violent urges that may be influenced by them,he mentioned a old report by one of the Surgeon Generals.
I was bullied as a kid but never wanted to hurt anyone like that.My son was bullied in school,he had a speech impediment and was in Special Olympics.He was raised around guns,hunts and he never acted out in violence either.He said no matter how badly he was bullied he never thought of doing something like that.
The media glorifies violence,movies and games make it look cool.
Kids see this on a regular basis,they are becoming de-sensitized to violence.

I was taught firearm safety at age five and went hunting with my dad at an early age. I consider myself more safe than my NT friends when it comes to firarms when we go target shooting. Maybe it is because of my Aspergers or maybe because I was raised right I don't know. I was bullied savagely in high school. I was beaten up, spit on, and had my shirt set on fire in studyhall once, but I never thought of going on a shooting spree. By the time I was in high school I owned a .22 caliber semi-auto rifle, a single shot 20 gauge shotgun, and a 12 gauge pump shotgun for squirell, turkey rabbit, pheasant, and deer hunting. I never once thought of killing a human with those firearms. My first firearm was purchased for me when I was twelve, it was a single shotgun. Everyone in my family did this with their kids and we have had no accidents or murders. Everytime I hunted it was for food. I like to think that it was celebrating my Appalachian and Native American heritage. I believe it has everything to do with upbringing.

Your shirt was set on fire, and still didn't want to strike back?
Geez, you have the patience of a saint, my friend. 8)

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

bLueTaEl0nENiGMA
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2012, 5:31 pm

DenvrDave wrote:
The killer was mis-diagnosed, IMHO.

the odds might be 50/50 for this or there is some intense
trauma in his early background that most likely is not due to
the fault of his mother. helicopter mommy is an expression?

alex
Developer
Developer

16 Dec 2012, 5:38 pm

We were covered by CBS: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/12/16/ ... -massacre/

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 5:51 pm

alex wrote:

Did you see the first comment? Some people still don't understand even when a great news article like this ones explains our position as an autism community :(.

Bodrik
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2012, 5:54 pm

deltafunction wrote:
alex wrote:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/12/16/autism-rights-group-aspergers-does-not-explain-newtown-school-massacre/

Did you see the first comment? Some people still don't understand even when a great news article like this ones explains our position as an autism community :(.

I was about to post the same. Someone claiming people on the spectrum should be "treated" treatment with what? Magical Powers? Stablize? Stablizing a ASD person's life is more about the people around them then themselves! Handled right? :lol: Do we need diaper changes or something. :? :lol:

SickInDaHead
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2012, 5:56 pm

Quote:
Autism Rights Watch said “the easy access to weapons in our households” is the most significant factor to blame for the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School, which left 20 children and eight adults dead – including Lanza and his mother.

What a pile of crap. "Don't blame this on Autism, but make sure there are no guns in the house".

Well, since I don't have a diagnosis, and my prediction I made last summer is coming true, I am glad to not have given any money to anything "autism rights" and I am outta here.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 6:01 pm

Bodrik wrote:

I was about to post the same. Someone claiming people on the spectrum should be "treated" treatment with what? Magical Powers? Stablize? Stablizing a ASD person's life is more about the people around them then themselves! Handled right? :lol: Do we need diaper changes or something. :? :lol:

:lol: exactly!

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 6:01 pm

Todesking wrote:
I blame his mother for his lack of empathy. My parents are simple people, dare I say poor West Virginian hillbillies. They do not have fancy college education based degrees. The shooter's teacher mother pulled him out of school and home schooled him. Big mistake according to my mom and dad. They did not know what was wrong with me in the 70's. No one diagnosed me with Asperger's they wrongfully dx'd me with ADHD. My parents did not know what any of that was, but they knew I was anti-social so they made sure to make me play with the other kids. I did not want to have anything to do with the other kids, so I would hide and my parents would find me and force me outside. I would have to play with other kids in whatever games they wanted to play. I learned how to interact with other people properly, I even learned how to speak up for myself and talk people into doing what I wanted.

For me I think home schooling would have been great. Going to school didn't teach me to socialize or get along with other people at all. It taught me that people were mean and I didn't want to be around them. In a way I feel cheated out of an education because I would have learned better at home by myself than with a bunch of kids that bullied and hated me.

I guess it didn't work for this guy though.

bLueTaEl0nENiGMA
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2012, 6:03 pm

that first comment then ended by saying that there is no immediate explanation
as to WHY he murdered those poor children. his mother may have tried to create
a structure for him and stability but she may have been lashed out at because she
has nothing to do with what really set him off. we all could netsurf in and point out
online communities generate a feeling of belonging and defuse feelings of isolation.
senior citizens who find it difficult to visit a grocery store or a public library netsurf
now and connect up with people they knew over a busy lifetime. i really do think that
even if the clinical diagnosis is 100% accurate, there are four other factors that a very
competant profiler would have to weigh in order to explain a classic psychotic break.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 6:09 pm

Pardon me for posting in bold. This is an unabashed attempt to attract attention, but it is not for me.

Please visit the following post:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt218321.html

Thanks.

That is all.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 6:44 pm

Todesking wrote:
I blame his mother for his lack of empathy. My parents are simple people, dare I say poor West Virginian hillbillies. They do not have fancy college education based degrees. The shooter's teacher mother pulled him out of school and home schooled him. Big mistake according to my mom and dad. They did not know what was wrong with me in the 70's. No one diagnosed me with Asperger's they wrongfully dx'd me with ADHD. My parents did not know what any of that was, but they knew I was anti-social so they made sure to make me play with the other kids. I did not want to have anything to do with the other kids, so I would hide and my parents would find me and force me outside. I would have to play with other kids in whatever games they wanted to play. I learned how to interact with other people properly, I even learned how to speak up for myself and talk people into doing what I wanted.

I would get my ass smacked if I acted out violently with my friends. My parents would ask if I liked getting hit, of course I said no and learned not to hit other kids. They also taught me empathy by buying me dog and making me take care of it. They also taught me responsibility and gave me a work ethic by giving me jobs to do on my dad's property clearing brush, stacking firewood, and planting trees. They never babied me or allowed me to use my "weirdness" as an excuse not to do something or go somewhere.

Adam Lanza's mother pulled him out of school to home school him. Doing this to him was great disservice. How would he be expected to learn to properly interact with people if she allowed him to hide from people? I might have been savagely bullied in school, but I had friends. I was awkward from K-7th grades and I learned how to better interact with people by staying in school. From 8th -12th grade I made friends easily because I was different and funny. Some people wanted to punch me in the face for being different and there were others who were attracted to my weirdness and sense of humor. I wonder if Lanza's mother shielded him from friends or going outside of their house trying to protect her son. I wanted to hide from people, but my parents pushed me out of the nest no matter how much I protested. Adam Lanza's mother must have played to his weaknesses instead of making him overcome them. She made a monster out of her son by trying to protect him from the kids at school and in the end little kids and herself became his victims.

Absolutely. An engaged and supportive family makes all the difference. My mom and three sisters taught me empathy and my Dad taught me ethics and morality. They all helped me by dragging me into the world whether I wanted to be there or not.

And by the way, it's not just autistic kids who need supportive families.

It's the kids who are raised by TV and video games--modern wolf-children--that do evil crap like this when their world starts to disintegrate, because they have no moral framework in which to cope, and no refuge but in violence and hatred.

They think they're getting revenge on the world that's wronged them by causing as much pain as possible on their way out.

It’s all so sad and pointless.
:(

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 7:32 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Your shirt was set on fire, and still didn't want to strike back?
Geez, you have the patience of a saint, my friend. 8)

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Oh I wanted to strike back, but was unable. I was too little to strike back. He would have beat me half to death. When I reached eleventh grade I had a growth spurt and then no one wanted to bully someone who was twice their size.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 7:51 pm

^^^^^That's the way it turned out for my son,he was picked on when little,but now he's six foot and around 200 lbs,and he is a nice young man.No one bullies him now.
I'm sorry someone set fire to you,that didn't happen to me.I had two bullies that sat by me and they would punch my arm when the teacher wasn't looking.I would tell the teacher but she did NOTHING,she never even sent them to the office.I never wanted to hurt them,I only wanted them to stop.They never did.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 7:58 pm

You know what's strange is that there has been little to no mention about the other attributes of Asperger Syndrome that would've been picked up if Adam Lanza really had Asperger's. I'm talking about the stimming, the monotone speech, the poor eye contact in conversation, the sensitivity to certain senses and textures. What do we get instead? More generic talk about how he was a loner and how he was smart. Therefore, he must have Asperger's. I would sure love to know who the doctor was that "officially" diagnosed him based on the "loner" criteria.

Disraeli
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2012, 8:03 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
You know what's strange is that there has been little to no mention about the other attributes of Asperger Syndrome that would've been picked up if Adam Lanza really had Asperger's. I'm talking about the stimming, the monotone speech, the poor eye contact in conversation, the sensitivity to certain senses and textures. What do we get instead? More generic talk about how he was a loner and how he was smart. Therefore, he must have Asperger's. I would sure love to know who the doctor was that "officially" diagnosed him based on the "loner" criteria.

He had Asperger's. Accept it.