Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

asnlifecoach
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jun 2013, 8:17 pm

Has anyone seen this photo and article on the disabled child who was off to the side in a class photo? I've gotten mixed opinions on this over on Facebook and I was just wondering what everybody thought about it here.

http://www.inquisitr.com/791463/wheelch ... lassmates/

www.asnlifecoach.com
@asnlifecoach on Twitter
https://www.facebook.com/AutismAndSpecialNeedsLifeCoach

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 9:51 pm

It's a pretty lousy situation, but maybe just an example of the company representative going fast.

And maybe an example of how second class treatment of people who are different is imbued in the way many people look at the world. It's not that we're asking for special treatment. This seven-year-old boy in a wheelchair should be treated as a valued member of the class just like everyone else.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 10:20 pm

I agree with what was said in the article. It wasn't malice that drove the alienation of the kid. The photographer forgot to use theory of mind. I grew up with a sister with quadriplegic cerebral palsy. I or some other member of my family would often make stupid mistakes like this, e.g. giving her food but forgetting to put a fork on her plate, or forgetting to turn on the lights in her room when it gets dark outside. It doesn't excuse the behavior, but I could understand how the teachers and/or photographer made that mistake.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 11:33 pm

I wouldn't call it malaise, but I do feel that the photographer made a mistake. The photographer wasn't thinking straight. It seems that he was in a rush to get the photo finished.

asnlifecoach
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Jun 2013, 12:14 pm

I feel there wasn't an intent to do harm, but looking at the photo still makes me sad. I'm not sure, so many conflicting opinions on Facebook about it.

www.asnlifecoach.com
@asnlifecoach on Twitter

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 7:29 pm

I don't see malicious intent, just a composition issue.
Putting him front and center would have been better.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 9:57 am

I remember in my old year books... they'd do the same thing for the people who were in wheelchairs. I don't think they'd be able to fit the wheel chair up on the bleachers ... ?? also, It's kind of distasteful to blur out everybody's face but the kid whose being taken advantage of by the article.. why not blur his face out too? I don't know..

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 10:03 am

For heaven's sake! Can't they just shift down so they're next to him. I can see his chair is up against the benches, but the class can move closer to that end. I think this is awful.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 1:25 pm

The benches kept him away from the class but he is still there. Perhaps they could have moved down further so they are at the edge or have him be in front of the bleachers next to the student.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 1:28 pm

League_Girl wrote:
The benches kept him away from the class but he is still there. Perhaps they could have moved down further so they are at the edge or have him be in front of the bleachers next to the student.

Exactly!

It may have taken the photographer a moment to adjust his location, but he should have done so.

asnlifecoach
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jun 2013, 2:46 pm

Reshoot!

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/k ... 00441.html

www.asnlifecoach.com
@asnlifecoach on Twitter

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 4:51 pm

Worse is that many opinions about the pic have implied "victim demonization", as if it was the poor kid's fault. :roll: :x

To me, this was just another misunderstanding blown out of proportion.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 9:51 pm

Raymond_Fawkes wrote:
I remember in my old year books... they'd do the same thing for the people who were in wheelchairs. I don't think they'd be able to fit the wheel chair up on the bleachers ... ?? also, It's kind of distasteful to blur out everybody's face but the kid whose being taken advantage of by the article.. why not blur his face out too? I don't know..

I noticed that too why were all their faces blurred but not the little boy, also couldn't they have put him in the front and centre and just moved the kids so they could be seen.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 7:13 pm

I think his initial thought was, "Oh, kid in a wheelchair, we can't get him on the bleachers."

They should have cleared a space in the middle and put him in front of it, but you can't really expect much from elementary-school photos.