CNN reporting Cho was diagnosed with Autism

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 12:48 am

I just had to go to the Korean American chat rooms an in the few that typed in English I didn't find any mention of Autism or Asperger's Syndrome. And they are quite concerned about their own image

Autism or Asperger's is a non- issue, there.

Merle

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 9:02 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070420/ap_on_re_us/virginia_tech_shooting

Here's Yahoo's take on it. I wasn't online when the headlines/bullets said he was autistic, but this morning got an email from an autism listserv that he was. The email had a link to a PR statement basically acknowledging the diagnosis and saying that Cho did what he did because he didn't get "Early Intervention". I found the statement fairly rotten. Again, it mirrors what Autism organizations say about murderers of autistic people, "They were stressed, autism is bad, if we don't get more money then more autistics will die" yadda yadda.
The Yahoo story seems to dismiss the Great Aunt's version and I applaud this about face.

Quote:
Cho's great-aunt, who lives in South Korea, said Thursday that because he did not speak much as a child and after the family emigrated to the United States, doctors thought he might be autistic.

"Normally sons and mothers talk. There was none of that for them. He was very cold," Kim Yang-soon told AP Television News. "When they went to the United States, they told them it was autism."

Neither school officials, who have his educational records, nor police who have his medical records, have mentioned such a diagnosis. Autistic individuals often have difficulty communicating, but such a diagnosis would not necessarily explain his violence.

Aardvark
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Apr 2007, 10:40 am

1. I hope the insensitive teacher and students are having a bit more trouble sleeping at night knowing that they helped push the situation further along... bloody racist pricks the kids are.

2. Bullying alone doesn't explain this degree of cold calculated murder. It doesn't seem he even targeted his former bullies. Autism alone certainly does NOT explain it either.

3. I hope the nation takes bullying more seriously too. I hate the "you're going to have to deal with people sooner or later/it'll toughen you up" crap. Maybe students should learn to cope, but at the same time bad behaviour should never be accepted. While one should learn how to be on the alert for thieves, it doesn't mean we accept thievery.

4. I was thankfully not a bullied child, but I hope no matter how badly we have been treated, we will never, ever take it out in others this way.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 11:41 am

Aardvark wrote:
1. I hope the insensitive teacher and students are having a bit more trouble sleeping at night knowing that they helped push the situation further along... bloody racist pricks the kids are.

2. Bullying alone doesn't explain this degree of cold calculated murder. It doesn't seem he even targeted his former bullies.

Your second point makes your first rather ridiculous. It isn't that nobody here reached out to him, far from it. When people would try to talk to him in the dorm, he would ignore them, or say something at the least rude. Also, that instance occurred in high school. Most anyone can speak on how petty, thoughtless and hurtful kids can be at that age. (Not are, can be.) That isn't to say that it is "ok," but good luck changing the world, because that's effectively what it would take to make that kind of behavior go away.

I understand that many will be quick to say bullying is a problem. In many cases, it is. Consideration should be given if the "bullied" intentionally acts in a way that isolates them further. We live in a society. If you are in an environment such as a college campus, it is absurd to think that you will be left alone whenever you wish. If that would have helped him, he should have been taking as many online classes as he could have.

Lil
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Apr 2007, 6:29 pm

Whatever he was he certainly seemed to be a loner. It chills my blood every time a mass murderer is called a loner. Will we be looked at like Japanese during ww2 or Muslims after the Trade Center? Let's face it is not rare for us to be described as keeping to ourselves (though lots of us don't have any choice). The neighbors never say that the assassin next door seemed like such a nice young person, sociable, friendly with a great personality.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 6:49 pm

kittenfluffies wrote:
Another blow to our reputations, guys.

The gunman responsible for the mass murder at VT has been reported as diagnosed with Autism on CNN. They also keep describing him as a "loner". This is just great.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/19/vtech. ... index.html

Now, obviously he had some other things going on - possibly schizophrenia, a dash of violent psychosis, etc...etc..

There's nothing anyone can do about it - people are going to think what they want to think about us. All we can do is just try extra hard to make people understand that we aren't all psychotic sociopathic killers.

EDIT: AS OF 4:19PM ALL REFERENCES TO CHO HAVING "AUTISM" HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM THE ARTICLE IN QUESTION!

f***wads and douchebags, the whole lot of them. First they slander us by associating us with an insane psycho killer, then they cover their tracks by eliminating the evidence. If only the psycho had decided to rampage at CNN Headquarters instead of VA Tech...

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 9:58 pm

it's in the australian papers now

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/cho-wa ... 30351.html

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 6:30 am

I guess since those on the Autistic spectrum aren't seen as people, it's ok for them to write extremely outragous prejudicial articles about them.

invivo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Apr 2007, 8:20 am

something like this happenend a few years ago here, in germany, it can happen to anyone, some people just kill themselves, some take their family, some take strangers, this guy wanted attention, otherwise he had not sent all the pics and film to the media, aspies and real loners dont want attention, one question asked when I was diagnosed, was: if I like to show others things I do, and I dont , but he did , so he may have been many things, but not aspie

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 10:56 am

Neurotypicals are just born that way, they are driven by something in their psyche that can't abide people that are out of their nom. They are obsessive compulsive about it, too, and it's gotta be their way or the highway.
Please understand they can't help it, they were just born that way.
It makes them feel better to think they CAN'T be like 'those people' that do those sorts of things.

Try being fat. People always get away with calling someone fat, insulting them with no repercussions because 'normal' people aren't fat and all fat people can acually help being fat, so its a choice, and anyway, we are helping them by reminding them they can help it and to not be such losers.

Merel

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 8:39 pm

I don't understand how reporting relevant facts (facts about his life) is somehow bad. I also find it the claim that NT's are inherently prejudiced highly hypocritical in the views that members don't seem to see that fact they are engaging in blatant stereotyping themselves.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 9:55 pm

Jimservo wrote:
I don't understand how reporting relevant facts (facts about his life) is somehow bad.

It’s definitely bad for me. Despite Shadexii’s efforts, every other newsmedia probably picked up on the autism headline. It’s on the front page of today’s Washington Post. My mom and stepfather always read that newspaper. The diagnosis that was supposed to save me (AS) might now be seen as potential danger to them. The stepfather had already accepted a label of paranoid schizophrenia that had been unfairly put on me (put on me, because I refused to name some people that were stalking me). So I wouldn’t be surprised if he now thinks that I might do what this as*hole did. Sorry for the cursing, but the individual in reference does not deserve to have his name immortalized. Anyways, I can hear the stepfather mentioning the article to my mom right now. Definitely not boding well for me.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 10:50 pm

invivo wrote:
something like this happenend a few years ago here, in germany, it can happen to anyone, some people just kill themselves, some take their family, some take strangers, this guy wanted attention, otherwise he had not sent all the pics and film to the media, aspies and real loners dont want attention, one question asked when I was diagnosed, was: if I like to show others things I do, and I dont , but he did , so he may have been many things, but not aspie

That is odd as many on here share their comics, artwork, music, writing with others here...which suggests that is not so.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 11:12 am

Signs in this case seem to be vaguely pointing to paranoid schizophrenia rather then then autism.

There is a good blog post here on this subject.

Some notes from the post, not many paranoid schizophrenics, or schizophrenics commit mass-murder. Such persons also tend to be more likely to be victims of violence generally.

Quote:
In a May 1998 report published in the Archives of General Psychiatry, researchers examined data gathered in Pittsburgh and found that violence rates were indistinguishable between mental patients and their well neighbors.

Here's the link.