Everyone is too doomer about Florida

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

stratozyck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2024, 5:58 pm

So a storm is going to hit and I see it on here and on Reddit - "HOW CAN ANYONE MOVE TO FLORIDA AND BE SO STOOOOOOPID."

The total cost of hurricanes since 1980 is $1.3 Trillion. (https://coast.noaa.gov/states/fast-facts/hurricane-costs.html#:~:text=Of%20the%20363%20billion%2Ddollar,of%20%2422.8%20billion%20per%20event.)

The total number of deaths is 6,890 since 1980.

"Of the 363 billion-dollar weather disasters since 1980 (as of August 2023), tropical cyclones (or hurricanes) have caused the most damage: over $1.3 trillion total, with an average cost of $22.8 billion per event. They are also responsible for the highest number of deaths: 6,890 since 1980."

That is about 6-8 weeks of auto fatalities. $1.3 trillion seems like a lot but auto accidents cost ~$350 billion annually (https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/traffic-crashes-cost-america-billions-2019) - I added to the number because it was from 2019. How much do you think that was since 1980?

My point is no one is flipping out over anyone getting in the car and going for a drive. But most take that risk daily. Yet people are trying to shame Floridians for taking on MUCH less risk and costing others MUCH less than car drivers.

Save your freak outs for things that make sense. The total GDP of Florida was $1.3 Trillion in 2022 (https://usafacts.org/metrics/gross-domestic-product-gdp-by-state-florida/#:~:text=In%202022%20(most%20recent)%2C,States%20for%20Florida%20(state).)

Even $150 billion in damage is about 10% of one years GDP. That is hardly a reason to abandon a whole state.

You don't go, "oh I could make 100 dollars but occasionally I have to pay $15 so I won't do it."

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2024, 6:25 pm

Are you aware of climate change? Florida is going to become increasingly uninhabitable and many properties, especially in coastal areas, will be a total loss.

There are also insidious problems, like the building that collapsed a few years ago in part because seawater has been insinuating itself into the ground. Now many buildings have to be upgraded and no one has or wants to spend the money to do it.

Yes, there are areas that are less susceptible, but there are domino effects that will be far reaching.

I don't know if you've ever been through a hurricane but the worst of it is not the unlikely loss of life or even the property damage, which can be repaired, if you can afford it. (Insurance is becoming less available and more expensive.) It's the enormous stress of dealing with the conditions brought by the hurricane: the howling winds, falling trees and limbs, parts of homes being ripped apart, no power for sometimes long stretches, sometimes no phone service, long lines for supplies and sometimes supplies being outright unavailable, clogged roads when trying to evacuate, sometimes no gas, and on and on. Living through a hurricane is no picnic.

bsickler
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Oct 2024, 11:46 pm

Eh, long term you’ll figure it out.

Especially if the caps on flood insurance get lifted and you start having to actually pay for actual risk rather than a heavily subsidized version.

Or if your home insurance skyrockets because the state removes caps in order to keep the relatively few private insurance companies left from leaving and you have to actually pay proper market rates.

Or if you bought in to an HOA and your HOA or condo fees become completely untenable due to a massive reassessment that’s all the rage these days in FL due to decades of neglect and/or a massive insurance hike.

It’s your life, your money, your decision. But there is no way you will ever convince me that buying in FL is a wise decision.