I agreed to buy a house in the path of Milton

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

bsickler
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Oct 2024, 3:08 pm

Edit - I didn’t check before I posted. OP already addressed this earlier in the thread.

OP I know you don’t want to hear this, but please, if you haven’t occupied the house yet:

Now that the hurricane has moved on, get the house re-inspected, and have the current owners fix any issues before you move in.

And make sure they’re not hiding anything.

It’s really common for people to try and hide water damage after hurricanes in FL.

If anything is found, do not move in until the issues are fixed. Once you’re in the house, that’s it - even if you find something later, you’re on your own, and you’re going to be really upset if it ends up being major / expensive that was hidden or done cheaply.

Last edited by bsickler on 10 Oct 2024, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2024, 3:16 pm

bsickler wrote:
OP I know you don’t want to hear this, but please, if you haven’t occupied the house yet:

Now that the hurricane has moved on, get the house re-inspected, and have the current owners fix any issues before you move in.

It’s really common for people to try and hide water damage after hurricanes in FL.

If anything is found, do not move in until the issues are fixed. Once you’re in the house, that’s it - even if you find something later, you’re on your own, and you’re going to be really upset if it ends up being major / expensive that was hidden or done cheaply.

stratozyck wrote:
The home inspection got moved because of the storm so if the house gets damaged we still have the right to back out of the contract.

It sounds like the house inspection has to occur after the storm, so there's no re-inspection, just a post-hurricane inspection.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

bsickler

10 Oct 2024, 3:21 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
bsickler wrote:

stratozyck wrote:
The home inspection got moved because of the storm so if the house gets damaged we still have the right to back out of the contract.

It sounds like the house inspection has to occur after the storm, so there's no re-inspection, just a post-hurricane inspection.

Ahaha yeah I didn’t catch that until after I submitted the post. Shame on me for not checking first :D

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2024, 4:22 pm

This article came out just today, in the aftermath of hurricane Milton. The NYT is behind a paywall, but I think it will let you read one article? https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/10/clim ... dream.html

Partial excerpt:

Quote:
Now, on this October day, almost the entire state is feeling the effects of Hurricane Milton, which roared ashore Wednesday with catastrophic consequences. More than three million people are without power. At least five are dead. And “this was not the worst-case scenario,” as Gov. Ron DeSantis said.

Milton is the second major hurricane to hit Florida in two weeks, and climate change is creating new risks across the state.

Warm oceans are making storms more powerful, sea level rise is leading to flooding and erosion, and overdevelopment is putting more people in jeopardy. All of which is raising new questions about the future of Florida.

Around midnight last night, as Milton was thrashing Orlando, I called the novelist and journalist Carl Hiaasen, a Florida legend and longtime chronicler of the state’s grifters and glories in books like “Hoot,” “Strip Tease” and “Bad Monkey.” Hiaasen, who often writes about environmental issues, told me that global warming had forever changed a state he loves.

“When I was a kid in the ’50s and ’60s, hurricanes were always thought of as a South Florida phenomena,” he said. “Now, there’s no place in Florida that’s safe.”