Yes 56%  56%  [ 14 ]
No 28%  28%  [ 7 ]
Only if the Sub is 100% crewed by Women 16%  16%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 25

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 4:41 am

I remember that as a child I dreamed about being U-boot soldier :twisted: I can't be, because I'm too big and I'm not normal. But if somebody is able to, why not?

I think there's no problem with abilities, but with possible sexual abuses. The same situation is on the ship, when they're on sea for half a year.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 6:10 pm

Wombat wrote:
It takes a special person to be a submariner. A U.S. sub might leave port and not be seen again for six months..

That's what happens when men won't stop and ask for directions. That's why they need women on board. :D

Wombat wrote:
The question is not whether women could do the job, the question is whether their presence would improve or harm crew moral.

So women should be discriminated against if treating them as equals upsets men. :roll:

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 7:57 am

I think the real question here is about whether men *and* women should be assigned to the *same* submarine. So, and on my guess the US Navy already has enough capable women to actually command and "man" one, I say they should be given a chance to prove themselves all on their own.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 8:09 am

leejosepho wrote:
I think the real question here is about whether men *and* women should be assigned to the *same* submarine. So, and on my guess the US Navy already has enough capable women to actually command and "man" one, I say they should be given a chance to prove themselves all on their own.

First you must find out if there are tasks on a submarine that are beyond the muscular capacity of women. It is a fact that women generally have smaller muscle mass than men and are on average less physically strong. If running a sub can be done without any task requiring muscle bulk then there is no reason why women cannot serve on subs.

ruveyn

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 9:55 am

ruveyn wrote:
First you must find out if there are tasks on a submarine that are beyond the muscular capacity of women.

As far as I know, the most difficult task on at least some of the older subs is that of slowly pulling the head's flush lever while watching for small bubbles indicating a wrong time to try to flush at all (if the system is presently pressurized for pumping previous flushings on out to sea). In any case, I think a sea-trial run of an all-women sub would make a great movie!

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 10:06 am

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
Wombat wrote:
It takes a special person to be a submariner. A U.S. sub might leave port and not be seen again for six months..

That's what happens when men won't stop and ask for directions. That's why they need women on board. :D

There isnt enough nuclear fuel and free space enough on a submarine to support female shopping behaviour :D (Touché)

danieltaiwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2010, 5:52 pm

There is also a problem that if a women becomes pregnant in a coed submarine environment on the attack submarines. The ballistic subs might be okay because they are larger but on the attack subs there would be a major problem for the fetus because it could be harmed in the environment, because of the carbon monoxide and other chemicals in the environment. Also what if the women went into labour on the submarine. Then the sub would have to go to port and that could compromise the mission.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 6:05 pm

danieltaiwan wrote:
There is also a problem that if a women becomes pregnant in a coed submarine environment on the attack submarines. The ballistic subs might be okay because they are larger but on the attack subs there would be a major problem for the fetus because it could be harmed in the environment, because of the carbon monoxide and other chemicals in the environment. Also what if the women went into labour on the submarine. Then the sub would have to go to port and that could compromise the mission.

Solution: medically disable women submariners from becoming pregnant. Any woman wanting to travel undersea will have to be willing to submit to this disablement. There is probably a temporary mode of disabling a woman from becoming pregnant so she me yet become a mother after her days undersea are over.

ruveyn

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 10:49 pm

I would think it obvious that any women wanting to get on a sub would have to have some reliable form of birth control, if she gets pregnant the mission is scraped and that just can't happen on a regular or critical basis. other than that there shouldn't be a problem.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 11:42 pm

ikorack wrote:
I would think it obvious that any women wanting to get on a sub would have to have some reliable form of birth control, if she gets pregnant the mission is scraped and that just can't happen on a regular or critical basis. other than that there shouldn't be a problem.

Have you ever been in a submarine?
The bunks are just welded to the bulkhead anywhere they will fit.

The big trick would be to find a place to have sex if you don't want to do it in sight of everyone. :oops:

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 8:30 am

Wombat wrote:
ikorack wrote:

Have you ever been in a submarine?
The bunks are just welded to the bulkhead anywhere they will fit.

The big trick would be to find a place to have sex if you don't want to do it in sight of everyone. :oops:

If there is sex to be had people will find a place to do it in privacy.(unless they are exhibitionists)

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 10:43 am

*high volume*
"Now reville... Reville... All hands heave to and trice up... Get up and take a piss -- this world's on fire, ladies!"

That is how my days got started in the Navy, and here is why many men do not want their daughters going down to the sea in ships:

(Warning: Not intended for delicate or tender ears.)

http://www.olgoat.com/substuff/dex130.htm

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 2:28 pm

The issue is not "are all women capable of doing the jobs on submarines." Rather, the issue is, "should a capable woman be assigned to a submarine."

I am not physically capable of being a submariner. My lack of qualification has nothing to do with my sex. Conversely, there are women who are perfectly capable of being a submariner, but who are disqualified for no other reason than their sex.

If some men are incapable of performing at their best in the presence of women, then perhaps its the men that should not be serving, rather than the women.