Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2014, 11:02 am

I saw this story on Yahoo! a few minutes ago!

There WAS no such diagnosis when I was a kid! I did okay when I was in Pre-K and Kindergarten - I had friends at school and knew some kids in my neighborhood! The problem came when it was time for recess! When people talk about social awkwardness - to ME, it is a reminder of going out onto the playground and being COMPLETELY LOST DESPITE the fact that I had friends! If THEY didn't come and GET me, then I would ALWAYS - WITHOUT FAIL, retreat to the EDGE of the playground and sit by the fence to watch the cars go by! One day, a lady was walking by and spoke; she also asked why I wasn't playing with the other kids! How does a Kindergartener verbalize the fact that he doesn't know HOW to do that? So I shrugged my shoulders!

In my neighborhood, my father eventually had to TELL me that I needed to go outside and play with the other kids! It never really occured to me to do it on my own!

AND THEN WE MOVED!

All I'll say is that when that happened, teachers at my new school noticed differences between me and other kids; they made notations on my grade reports about my issues. MY POINT is that there was no name for any of it - so there was no RESOLUTION!

A lot of people like to point to Sheldon from Big Bang Theory as an example of someone with Asperger's...or whatever they're calling it these days! To me he is more of a CARICATURE! A perfect example of me as a kid would be Brick from The Middle!

And if you THINK these issues don't follow a person into adulthood, THINK AGAIN!

I did not go looking for Asperger's...it found me by way of my Higher Power. Once we became acquainted, I found out that we had quite a bit in common and we became good friends. And then I landed on WrongPlanet!
</p>

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 11:10 am

yournamehere wrote:
I swear on my life. The largest and possibly only reason why I have problems in society, and possibly one of the only reasons why the way that I am really stands out, is derived from the way I am treated, understood, misunderstood, and used by narcissists, sociopaths, and their friends the co-dependant, and the apethetic. If it was not for these people, I am sure I could live my life, be good at it, and no one would want, or need to be the wiser about what is going on with me. I sought this website out because I had meltdowns, and could not deal with society because of the "treatment" I recieved from such people. Now "I" have a "problem". These are terrible people towards me. The way they behave sometimes should be illegal. Or I should just be able to pound their heads into the pavement, and get away with it.

If I actually had a diagnosis of autism, I do not believe it would be a deficiency on my part. More so a deficiency of the people who got me to that point.

I agree. I wouldn't have any problems - or damn fewer - if I wasn't under the scrutiny of others, or if some in the past hadn't seen fit to abuse and use me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 11:27 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
yournamehere wrote:
I swear on my life. The largest and possibly only reason why I have problems in society, and possibly one of the only reasons why the way that I am really stands out, is derived from the way I am treated, understood, misunderstood, and used by narcissists, sociopaths, and their friends the co-dependant, and the apethetic. If it was not for these people, I am sure I could live my life, be good at it, and no one would want, or need to be the wiser about what is going on with me. I sought this website out because I had meltdowns, and could not deal with society because of the "treatment" I recieved from such people. Now "I" have a "problem". These are terrible people towards me. The way they behave sometimes should be illegal. Or I should just be able to pound their heads into the pavement, and get away with it.

If I actually had a diagnosis of autism, I do not believe it would be a deficiency on my part. More so a deficiency of the people who got me to that point.

I agree. I wouldn't have any problems - or damn fewer - if I wasn't under the scrutiny of others, or if some in the past hadn't seen fit to abuse and use me.

if I had been raised properly I wonder how I would've turned out?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 11:39 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
yournamehere wrote:

Don't be hard on yourself. I don't know how you were raised, but you've turned out to be a decent person. 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 11:55 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
yournamehere wrote:

Don't be hard on yourself. I don't know how you were raised, but you've turned out to be a decent person. 8)

I have learnt to be loving to myself, but it is natural for me to wonder about how I would have turned out had my upbringing been optimal. my horoscope said somebody with my planetary aspects was supposed to be rich and famous but I am anything but.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 12:25 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
yournamehere wrote:

I have learnt to be loving to myself, but it is natural for me to wonder about how I would have turned out had my upbringing been optimal. my horoscope said somebody with my planetary aspects was supposed to be rich and famous but I am anything but.

I suspect if there was anything to horoscopes, we'd all be rich and famous, and live to be a hundred. I don't know of any star gazers promising any of us that we'll be sure to be luckless in worldly success, and die getting eaten by crocodiles.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 12:28 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I suspect if there was anything to horoscopes, we'd all be rich and famous, and live to be a hundred. I don't know of any star gazers promising any of us that we'll be sure to be luckless in worldly success, and die getting eaten by crocodiles.

I suppose it was all those squares and malaficient conjunctions/oppositions that did me in.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 12:29 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I suppose it was all those squares and malaficient conjunctions/oppositions that did me in.

Maybe so. :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 1:16 pm

If it were "one in 68 are full blown 'classic' low functioning autistics" then the statement would be proposterous. There couldnt be that many.

But thats not whats being claimed.

Since its "one in 68 are somewhere on the range from full blown autistic to folks so high functioning its hardly noticeable" then it perfectly possible.

Now that the infrastructure is in place to find autistics its to be expected that the numbers will go up, and not down, as the get better at finding HFA's.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 1:21 pm

I wonder what the rate is in silicon valley and Microsoft valley?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 1:23 pm

I wish some of the research went to finding good, sensible, everyday solutions to sensory issues, or at least helps. In a speech, Temple Grandin said 2 out of 20 kids on the spectrum can be helped by wearing glasses with Irlen lenses, but those two are really helped.

And if an annoying air conditioner motor bothers , I'm not being bad, naughty, unreasonable, uncooperative, etc. I'm just being me. It is a real issue.

And same for when my energy slumps.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 1:25 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I wonder what the rate is in silicon valley and Microsoft valley?

There is a noticeable degree of autism in the Spokane are, hence, our school district offers great special education for autistic kids like my daughter. Odd, but my area doesn't have a rep for attracting the technologically savvy.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 1:31 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
I wish some of the research went to finding good, sensible, everyday solutions to sensory issues, or at least helps. In a speech, Temple Grandin said 2 out of 20 kids on the spectrum can be helped by wearing glasses with Irlen lenses, but those two are really helped.

And if an annoying air conditioner motor bothers , I'm not being bad, naughty, unreasonable, uncooperative, etc. I'm just being me. It is a real issue.

What are Irlen lenses?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 1:39 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

What are Irlen lenses?

http://www.aoa.org/optometrists/educati ... d-overlays

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 1:55 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

What are Irlen lenses?

http://www.aoa.org/optometrists/educati ... d-overlays

Thanks. As a matter of fact, my wife and I are going to be leaving soon for a conference with our daughter's teachers, and I will be sure to ask about this.