Michigan ban on Affirmative Action upheld by supreme court

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 8:50 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
As for being sensitive - i'm sensitive about any have-nots being denigrated, not just myself.

Whatever, but the best way to avoid being ragged on for being a have-not on is not to brag about being a have-not. I think I've said this before.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 10:23 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
As for being sensitive - i'm sensitive about any have-nots being denigrated, not just myself.

Whatever, but the best way to avoid being ragged on for being a have-not on is not to brag about being a have-not. I think I've said this before.

What, I'm supposed to be ashamed?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 10:31 pm

/\ There is actually a generously habitable space between shame and bragging in which to dwell.
This is as far as I'm going to go with this since we're miles and miles of topic.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 10:38 pm

Raptor wrote:
/\ There is actually a generously habitable space between shame and bragging in which to dwell.
This is as far as I'm going to go with this since we're miles and miles of topic.

So be it.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 10:45 pm

cyberdad wrote:
A recent survey of online dating behavior suggest that almost all people of any background will select an African American dating partner last. This speaks volumes about how nothing much has changed regarding personal attitudes in the USA toward race.

Actually, all it speaks about is standards of attractiveness, an entirely different subject. Without more context, such as why people choose their partners, the statistics are meaningless as they could reflect any number of underlying causes.

- Rick Sanchez

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 5:51 am

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
A recent survey of online dating behavior suggest that almost all people of any background will select an African American dating partner last. This speaks volumes about how nothing much has changed regarding personal attitudes in the USA toward race.

Actually, all it speaks about is standards of attractiveness, an entirely different subject. Without more context, such as why people choose their partners, the statistics are meaningless as they could reflect any number of underlying causes.

I'll probably agree with you on this one as the stats also pertain to online dating. I'm guessing most African American men hit the clubs if they are after "p****".

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 2:34 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
might be wrong as am not very familiar with it,but doesn't affirmative action also affect disability and other groups-not just race?
its not good for race because its like saying someone with a different race to the majority is in need of extra help to get to the same position;thats patronising and demeaning as having a different to the majority race nowadays means are given the same rights already and are seen as equal by law [of course theres still a lot of racist people who feel threatened by anyone who isn't their colour but thats another story].

however for someone with disability, they might actually need that extra help to get to the same position,in the UK;one such example of affirmative action for disability is the two ticks scheme-it guarantees high functioning disabled people [ie,those with the capacity to work a mainstream job] an interview but it doesnt stop the bosses throwing their applications in the bin and choosing someone else.

Affirmative Action officially is to guard against discrimination against women and minorities. But like unions it has corrupted from its original purpose. and picks and chooses it's definitions of who is a minority and even who is a woman.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 3:13 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
... The Supreme Court majority seems to equate racial preference meant to combat racial discrimination as racial discrimination...
Discrimination against Group A equals preference for Group B. You can plug any two opposite groups into this equation and it will always be true.

Non-Whites / Whites
Women / Men
Immigrants / Citizens
LGBT-Q / "Straights"
Brunettes / Blondes
Pepsi / Coke

And so on, into absurdity.

Showing preference for one group equals discrimination toward another group. Plain and simple.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 4:14 pm

Fnord wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
... The Supreme Court majority seems to equate racial preference meant to combat racial discrimination as racial discrimination...
Discrimination against Group A equals preference for Group B. You can plug any two opposite groups into this equation and it will always be true.

Non-Whites / Whites
Women / Men
Immigrants / Citizens
LGBT-Q / "Straights"
Brunettes / Blondes
Pepsi / Coke

Showing preference for one group equals discrimination toward another group. Plain and simple.

Exactly.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 4:17 pm

Fnord wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Non-Whites / Whites
Women / Men
Immigrants / Citizens
LGBT-Q / "Straights"
Brunettes / Blondes
Pepsi / Coke

But under some laws discrimination is lawful if it corrects historical discrimination.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 4:38 pm

AnneOleson wrote:
... under some laws discrimination is lawful if it corrects historical discrimination.
Remember that "Lawful" does not necessarily mean "proper". And "historical discrimination" means that white people of today must be discriminated against to compensate black people for the then-legal and now-reprehensible enslavement of their ancestors more than 150 years ago.

There are also laws on the books that are not currently enforced, but could be enforced. For example, in Michigan...

... A woman isn’t allowed to cut her own hair without her husband’s permission.

... Any person over the age of 12 may have a license for a handgun as long as he/she has not been convicted of a felony.

... No person shall while in an offensive state of intoxication enter or be on or remain upon any railway train or interurban car as a passenger.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 8:39 pm

Yeah, I think at times people reach too far back in time to find historical discrimination.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 1:29 am

Whao! love these resurrected threads...this one's 5 yrs old!!

Lots of past WP members...feel nostalgic