Louisiana pastor defies large gathering ban

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 8:54 am

EzraS wrote:
I wonder what the reaction would be if it was a Mosque instead of a church.

I mean, in Iran they're licking healing shrines and having Imams spit in water bottles to prove that faith conquers viruses. It works about as well as you'd expect.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 1:15 am

Is that ‘water bottle spit’ comment true ?

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 2:42 am

Seen a video saying as much (quite gross, naturally), and while I don't speak the language I'm having a hard time putting it in some context that makes sense.

fiber bundle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2020, 12:04 am

modernmax wrote:
As the Constitution says, "The people have the right to peaceably assemble - unless there's an illness going around."

I'll happily die brave before I live in fear.

Even if limits on the sizes of gatherings is unconstitutional, defying the ban is by no means noble.

I would happily live cautiously before I would KILL PEOPLE because I was stubborn!

I could understand backlash against panic, but do not confuse panic with reasonable caution. Do your duty to save lives in the midst of a highly contagious pandemic, and stay home if you can.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 5:03 pm

modernmax wrote:
As the Constitution says, "The people have the right to peaceably assemble - unless there's an illness going around."

Don't think the constitution really went into what to in the event of a pandemic.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 12:36 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
modernmax wrote:

Don't think the constitution really went into what to in the event of a pandemic.

The founding fathers were more concerned about Indian uprisings, how to regulate slaves and not getting invaded by the British East India company

Randomosity
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Mar 2020, 3:35 pm

Things just took an interesting turn.

The East Baton Rouge Parish DA has just pressed 6 misdemeanor charges against Pastor Spell for ignoring Gov. Edward's order. Each is for every time he held gatherings when he wasn't supposed to.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 3:47 pm

Randomosity wrote:
Things just took an interesting turn.

The East Baton Rouge Parish DA has just pressed 6 misdemeanor charges against Pastor Spell for ignoring Gov. Edward's order. Each is for every time he held gatherings when he wasn't supposed to.

Do you have a link for this?

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 3:54 pm

First thing is to arrest the lead pastor and charge him with violating the order. If he gets bail, make one of the conditions that he does not violate the stay at home or gathering order. If he does again, he loses his right to bail. What is he going to do, appeal to the Supreme Court which is shut down right now?

While the pastor is waiting to be arraigned, get a search warrant for the church attendance and membership records. Anyone who attended the services in question and their families are immediately slapped with a 21 day quarantine at home order where they cannot leave for any reason and doing so would result in being put in jail for the duration of the quarantine period. If no attendance records were kept, use the membership records for the quarantine with a option of proving to a judge that you did not attend the services in question in order to lift the quarantine early. Also, if children were brought to the service, notify CPS.

I am a god fearing christian but I also take the side of science and worship god through alternate means during these crazy times. I also fear a virus more than any government leader.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 6:25 pm

Tampa megachurch pastor arrested after leading packed services despite 'safer-at-home' orders

Quote:
The pastor of a Tampa megachurch is facing charges after refusing to close its doors despite a "safer at home" order in effect in Hillsborough County, meant to stop the spread of COVID-19. The sheriff says up to 500 people were in attendance at Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne's Sunday services.

Howard-Browne, 58, turned himself in Monday afternoon after Sheriff Chad Chronister and State Attorney Andrew Warren on Monday announced an arrest warrant had been issued for charges of unlawful assembly and violating public health emergency rules of isolation and quarantine. Howard-Browne was released 40 minutes later after posting a $500 bond.

The River at Tampa Bay Church held two services Sunday, Chronister said, and even offered bus transportation for those services. The church's live stream showed a packed crowd cheering and applauding.

Friday, Sheriff Chronister said, deputies had tried to speak to Howard-Browne on at least two separate occasions about the "dangerous environment" the church was creating. He said HCSO command staff went to the east Tampa church, but they were advised by church leaders and legal staff that Howard-Browne was refusing to see them and also refusing to cancel the Sunday church services.

"His reckless disregard for human life put hundreds of people in his congregation at risk and thousands of residents who may interact with them this week in danger," Sheriff Chad Chronister said at a press conference Monday afternoon. "They have access to technology allowing them to live stream their services over the internet and broadcast to their 400 members from the safety of their own homes, but instead they chose to gather at church.”

Chronister stressed that the warrant was not an attack on religious freedom and noted there are other Tampa Bay-area churches who are following the social distancing guidelines set by the CDC. He said his concern now is whether the novel coronavirus may spread following the crowded services.

"I was appalled and also frightened at the fact that those individuals [were] thinking and believing they are doing the right thing. How many people are they going to infect if they have COVID-19?" Chronister asked. "There is nothing more important than faith especially during a pandemic, but like every other church here in the Bay Area, do it responsibly."

“I think it’s unfortunate that the pastor here is hiding behind the First Amendment," State Attorney Warren offered. "One, it’s absolutely clear that emergency orders like this are constitutional and valid. Second of all, leaders from our faith-based community across this country have embraced the importance of social distancing.”

Texas-based First Liberty Institute, which defends religious freedom, sees gathering restrictions in a different light.

"This is a hard adjustment for people to make but I think we have to make that adjustment," said Jeremy Dys, First Liberty Institute's Special Counsel for Litigation and Communications. "The state has to have a compelling justification, a compelling reason to say we are going to ask people of a certain size or gathering to stop meeting for a period of time temporarily."

Dys said the key is that the restrictions are only enforced temporarily and that religious institutions are not unfairly targeted. First Liberty Institute is encouraging religious leaders to continue finding creative ways to serve their communities online, in small groups, or drive-thru-type events.

"Let's figure out the best way we can go and work together to preserve religious liberty on the one side but also maintain the public health on the other side of things," Dys said. "Those two can work together. They don't have to work apart."

During Chronister’s announcement of the arrest warrant, other leaders from local churches also joined him. Pastor Ken Whitten from Idlewild Baptist Church pointed out that quarantining is mentioned in the Bible.

"It was practiced by people," he said. "The issue here is not religious freedom. Churches are not the ones being singled out. Everything is shut down. There is no basketball. There is no hockey. All of us our doing our part. I'm a pastor that believes God heals…this is not a faith issue. This is a responsible friend issue."

Reverend Thomas Scott of 34th Street Church, a former chairman of the Board of County Commissioners and Tampa City Council member, said his church began streaming online and on Facebook.

"We value the importance of the laws of the land and we value the importance of social distancing, and more importantly, protecting our parishioners -- make sure they are not in harm's way and spreading this deadly disease throughout the community," he said. " To us, COVID-19 and social distancing is very important. It's also important for the religious community to govern themselves, according to the laws of the land."

Chronister and Warren also appealed to River parishioners, asking them not to gather in their pastor's absence. The state attorney even quoted Mark 12:31 in making his point.

“There is no more important commandment than to love thy neighbor as thyself,” Warren preached. “Loving thy neighbors is protecting them, not jeopardizing their health by exposing them to this deadly virus.”

On Sunday, Howard-Browne defended his decision to keep the church open in a video posted to his YouTube channel, claiming the building had the technology to eradicate any virus.

"We brought in 13 machines that basically kill every virus in the place," Howard-Browne said. "If they sneeze it shoots it down like at 100 miles per hour and it will neutralize it in a split second."

The church also wrote the following statement on their website:

"We feel that it would be wrong for us to close our doors on them, at this time, or any time. In a time of crisis, people are fearful and in need of comfort and community."

Howard-Browne’s attorney took issue with the Hillsborough County “safer at home” order and the charges brought against his client, adding the county allows companies like Amazon to operate while shutting down churches.

“Not only did the church comply with the administrative order regarding six-foot distancing, it went above and beyond any other business to ensure the health and safety of the people," insisted Liberty Counsel founder and chairman Mat Staver. "Contrary to Sheriff Chronister’s allegation that Pastor Howard-Browne was ‘reckless,'” the actions of Hillsborough Country and the Hernando County Sheriff are discriminatory against religion and church gatherings.”

Liberty Counsel, a non-profit organization, maintains the church had hand sanitizer readily available, 6-foot separations marked on the floor for family groups, and staff members wearing gloves.

“This church has a concern, not only for the physical wellbeing of its participants and the community but also the spiritual wellbeing and that's what this church has been trying to do," Staver said. "They bought $100,000 worth of hospital-grade equipment they have established throughout the church that kills microbes including in the family of the coronavirus."

Staver said the arrest is discriminatory and the county's order is being unconstitutionally applied to the church.

"You cannot look at this situation and say it's being evenly enforced across the board to these other businesses," Staver said.

We asked Staver whether the church had any plans for future services following Monday's arrest. Staver said he's still working with the pastor to plan their next steps.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 6:50 pm

Since these pastors are so focused on "right to gathering" without regard to public health advisory, can't they at least come up with a compromise along the lines of doing a 21 day lock in of a "revival"?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 7:19 pm

This is an example where the public good overrides religious freedom.

I am sure rationale people would agree....arrest the nutters and put them in forced isolation (here in Australia they are now incarcerating people for openly flouting social isolation rules)

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 7:24 pm

cyberdad wrote:

I am sure rationale people would agree....arrest the nutters and put them in forced isolation (here in Australia they are now incarcerating people for openly flouting social isolation rules)

Most people seem to understand, but as I said above, if they want to have a large gathering of a few hundred or thousand people, make it so they are sure to bring enough food and medicine to be locked in the church for 21 days where they can only worship and are not allowed to leave for any reason what so ever.

Randomosity
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Mar 2020, 7:26 pm

Central pastor issued court summons for violating ban on large crowds

Quote:
CENTRAL – Pastor Tony Spell, the leader of Life Tabernacle Church who has defied a state-wide stay at home order and has held Sunday service amid growing coronavirus cases, was issued a misdemeanor summons to appear in court for violating the state's ban on large crowds amid the growing coronavirus pandemic sweeping the world.

Since the governor's order banning large gatherings and telling people to stay at home and only leave for essential activities, Spell has held six services at his Central campus.

He was given the summons for six counts of rule violations, which is considered an arrest, police said, for each of the six gatherings.

"It's about the safety of our community; [The charge and what happens next] is in the hands of the district attorney and the courts now," police said during a news conference live on WBRZ News 2 at Noon Tuesday.

Spell previously said he sees church congregations as essential in the trying times of the rapid virus spread.

Spell appeared on Dr. Phil's TV show seen on WBRZ Channel 2 Thursday (3/26). Last week on the TV show, he vowed to continue holding church service.

He told WBRZ reporter Sydney Kern after the summons was issued, he'd continue to have his church service.

Police responded: "We tried to give him a chance to do what's right."

“We feel that we are as an essential part of our community as the retail stores,” he said in the recorded interview with Dr. Phil.

Spell claims up to a thousand people join him at the church across the street from Blackwater Conservation Area on Hooper Road, though law enforcement sources believe far fewer have actually attended.

“It is in persecution of the faith for us to be asked to close our doors whenever more people are being contacted in those Targets and Walmarts than are in my service,” Spell said in the Dr. Phil episode.

Another local media source has him stating his church will keep holding services regardless of who gets arrested.

Central pastor cited after defying coronavirus order, sets up Tuesday night showdown

The irony of Spell saying this is religious persecution is that John Bel Edwards is a Catholic.

Last edited by Randomosity on 31 Mar 2020, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 7:27 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Most people seem to understand, but as I said above, if they want to have a large gathering of a few hundred or thousand people, make it so they are sure to bring enough food and medicine to be locked in the church for 21 days where they can only worship and are not allowed to leave for any reason what so ever.

The problem with these religious folk is they think god will prevent them spreading the disease...

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 7:38 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

The problem with these religious folk is they think god will prevent them spreading the disease...

Last I heard, there are many stories about things like plague and famine in the Bible, what exempts certain people who are about the Bible exempt? I even saw a story recently on good morning America about Joel Osteen doing a recent performance to an empty audience.