Page 4 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 3:47 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
I heard that he was 'controversial' regarding his opinion on gays. But he didn't advocate having gays rounded up and put in concentration camps. He just stated his opinion. You give him power by getting upset over what he said. I would think you' just shrug it off. "Meh, wot's he know about gay people?"

I wouldn't say I get particularly upset about it. I just think he's an idiot. It might come across as though I'm upset by it, but I'm actually not that bothered, I find some of these people quite entertaining actually. Although I still see them as evil bastards. 8)
EDIT: Oh and I wasn't trying to compare him to Hitler by the way, it was just that Hitler had been mentioned a couple of other times already in this thread and I was making the point that it doesn't matter to me whether they have a direct affect on my life. I wasn't trying to suggest he was in any way as bad as Hitler. Just to clear that up. :P

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 3:50 pm

jimservo wrote:
Sopho wrote:
Nothing to me personally. But neither did Hitler.
It doesn't make a blind bit of difference to me whether he ever did anything specifically to me. He was still a bastard and the world is a slightly better place without him in it. If only the rest of them would f**k off and die as well.

The rest of who?

The rest of these right-wing Christian crazy people. I think I'll celebrate the most when Fred Phelps finally dies.

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 3:58 pm

Sopho wrote:
jimservo wrote:
Sopho wrote:
Nothing to me personally. But neither did Hitler.
It doesn't make a blind bit of difference to me whether he ever did anything specifically to me. He was still a bastard and the world is a slightly better place without him in it. If only the rest of them would f**k off and die as well.

The rest of who?

The rest of these right-wing Christian crazy people. I think I'll celebrate the most when Fred Phelps finally dies.

Celebrate??? That doesn't even BEGIN to cover what I'll do! Were taking booze, effigy burning, and dancing, for a week straight!! ! Sopho, I personally invite you, and will get you a plane ticket to Chicago, if needed. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 3:59 pm

I've previously posted that I would have a glass of champagne when Castro finally goes to his just reward. But he's ruined his country, imprisioned dissidents, executed anyone who opposed him, in short he's a bloody monster.
This Falwell chap was just an American celebrity. He didn't foist Christianity on anyone, didn't actually harm people. So what if he was a blow-hard?

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 4:01 pm

TruenoBlues wrote:
Celebrate??? That doesn't even BEGIN to cover what I'll do! Were taking booze, effigy burning, and dancing, for a week straight!! ! Sopho, I personally invite you, and will get you a plane ticket to Chicago, if needed. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha, I accept the invitation. :lol:

EDIT: I'm not getting a shower yet actually.

Last edited by Sopho on 16 May 2007, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 4:02 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
I've previously posted that I would have a glass of champagne when Castro finally goes to his just reward. But he's ruined his country, imprisioned dissidents, executed anyone who opposed him, in short he's a bloody monster.
This Falwell chap was just an American celebrity. He didn't foist Christianity on anyone, didn't actually harm people. So what if he was a blow-hard?

Ah, as will I, when Castro kicks. I might just go to Havana to celebrate that one. Look, I'm allowed to hate who I want, and to celebrate accordingly.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 4:09 pm

TruenoBlues wrote:
Look, I'm allowed to hate who I want, and to celebrate accordingly.

Quite so, I was just amazed at the venom this poor bloke was getting spit at him ....

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 4:12 pm

Sopho wrote:

Phelps and his people are not similar in any way to the late Rev. Falwell, nor the vast majority of American society, nor certainly American conservatism, or mainstream conservative Christianity. Every "mainstream" person I ever heard always condemned him. Phelps, and his people say brutally horrible things, and don't apologize for it. Most of the most controversial things Falwell has said, none of which reach anywhere near Phelp's level, he apologized for (of course he was in the public eye for years and everything he said was monitored by critics). The people that actually knew him, including liberals, thought of him as a kind well-meaning person.

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 4:13 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
TruenoBlues wrote:
Look, I'm allowed to hate who I want, and to celebrate accordingly.

Quite so, I was just amazed at the venom this poor bloke was getting spit at him ....

Don't dish it if you can't take it.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 4:20 pm

TruenoBlues wrote:

Don't dish it if you can't take it.[/quote]

Me or Falwell ??

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 4:24 pm

Falwell. Robertson. Phelps. All of them.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 4:36 pm

jimservo wrote:
Sopho wrote:

Phelps and his people are not similar in any way to the late Rev. Falwell, nor the vast majority of American society, nor certainly American conservatism, or mainstream conservative Christianity. Every "mainstream" person I ever heard always condemned him. Phelps, and his people say brutally horrible things, and don't apologize for it. Most of the most controversial things Falwell has said, none of which reach anywhere near Phelp's level, he apologized for (of course he was in the public eye for years and everything he said was monitored by critics). The people that actually knew him, including liberals, thought of him as a kind well-meaning person.

Yes, I know they are not the same, but they are both crazy Christians. Also, I don't hate all of America. I never even mentioned the rest of American society, so I don't know why you are bringing that into it. I am fully aware that Fred Phelps is not an accurate representaion of the whole of America. I just despise right-wing crazy Christians, like I said before.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 5:07 pm

TruenoBlues wrote:
Falwell. Robertson. Phelps. All of them.

Again, the association of Phelps in two people with two far more mainstream persons. Phelps is a generally despised fringe person who has a tiny church that blames everything in America (from the death of troops in Iraq, to school shootings both of which he cheers) on homosexuality. I know that Pat Robertson (who I actually think is somewhat senile since he only started since he wasn't always saying this like that), and to a lesser extent Falwell said some downright idiotic things but they always apologized for it.

If I follow the logic of all the nonsense I should be hoping for the deaths of the atheists like Richard Dawkins who propagate theories I find to be utterly ridiculous (not so much his larger evolutionary theories, but his claims on how religion developed), or people like Sam Harris who are responsible for arguing that religion should be mocked rather then treated with respect.

This is where part of my personal worry of atheism, despite my relative lack of faith, comes from. The area that atheism worries me is in the area of pluralism.. Now atheists would argue, that no, it's fundamental religious people that are really against pluralism. But religious people have one thing in common with each other that atheists don't have: a spiritual belief. Many atheists seem to have a deep contempt for not only this but also the people that hold it. In the past such gnostic attitudes have ultimately to a feeling that is is necessary to impose control over society, to improve it. This, of course, is not only the case with officially atheist societies such as the former Soviet Union, and the People's Republic of China but the heavily Christian influenced monarchies of midevil and post-medevil Europe. However, regardless of how many times secularists point out the Inquisition (350,000 est. dead; committed by an arm of the Spanish monarchy rather then the admittedly corrupt but tolerant, at least within their own territories, Papal States themselves), or the (misunderstood) Crusades, or witch hunts (est. 100,000 killed between 15th-17th century), the way Christians interpret their own theology over the centuries has changed. Most mainline Christians do not stand in the main with al-Qaeda in wanting to create middle-age-ish theocratic states in which non-Christians are jailed, ect...Such is simply a fantasy of the left, and some libertarians.

Do many Christians want to convert you? Sure. But there is nothing wrong with that inherently in a free society. There is something wrong when they start using force of arms to do so. Do some Christians believe that you will go to hell if you do not believe Jesus Christ is the savior? Sure. But who cares. If you are not a Christian the only thing the matters is how they treat you in the physical world, not that they believe you are doomed for eternity in the afterlife.

Oh, Christians "hate gays" too. I don't buy that. I know of secular people who despise homosexuality and homosexuals, yet they know little about actual Christian doctrine on the matter. This is telling since actual Christian tells people to be compassionate, ect...(Dr. Laura Schlesinger, who is an orthodox Jew, is much hated and has a more "right-wing" view on homosexuality then the Roman Catholic church but somehow she is able to maintain without trouble a friendship with a well known lesbian conservative author). Of course, states that had who were officially atheist like the USSR (they demolished cathedrals and made others into "Museums of Atheism") did not have gay marriage and treated homosexuality as a mental disorder (in a much crueler way then was treated in the west). Of course, those who decline tor recognize any significance in this can claim that the Soviet Union's atheist rulers only did this because of lingering religious concerns, or out of worry of offending the countries religious concerns or some nonsense that doesn't make any sense. Neither the People's Republic of China, nor Vietnam, nor Cambodia under Pol Pot legalized it either but it must have been because of religion because there are only religious reasons to oppose gay marriage.

This turned a bit too much into a rant. Sorry...

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 5:10 pm

Soph wrote:
Yes, I know they are not the same, but they are both crazy Christians. Also, I don't hate all of America. I never even mentioned the rest of American society, so I don't know why you are bringing that into it. I am fully aware that Fred Phelps is not an accurate representaion of the whole of America. I just despise right-wing crazy Christians, like I said before.

Acknowledged. I don't believe that either Falwell, or Phelps (who I don't like putting into the same sentence) are crazy. Although, you may have meant crazy as in "ideas are illogical" rather then crazy "barking mad."

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 5:10 pm

I know that not all Christians hate gays. I also know that plenty of non-religious people are homophobic. I've met plenty... :roll:
But we're talking about a minority here. Individuals who, because of their perverted beliefs, really do hate gays. And I hate homophobes. That's fair, right?

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 5:11 pm

jimservo wrote:
Soph wrote:

Acknowledged. I don't believe that either Falwell, or Phelps (who I don't like putting into the same sentence) are crazy. Although, you may have meant crazy as in "ideas are illogical" rather then crazy "barking mad."

Ah yes, sorry. By 'crazy' I didn't mean actually insane, although I would not be at all surprised to find that both had mental problems.