German brother and sister/couple want incest law removed.

Page 5 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2007, 5:56 pm

RichardL wrote:
janicka wrote:
RichardL wrote:
Yes, I am gay.

Even if the swing is attached to the family tree, you still shouldn't care how I swing.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was pointing out to New_Guy_64 that he should be encouraging you to seek non-familial relationships with the person of your choice (as opposed to just girls). I don't think that homosexuality is taboo or disgusting or anything like that - it's how you were born. I do, however, think incest is disgusting, morally reprehensable, and unnatural.

Why would you think like that? :?

It disrupts family structure and has a higher than normal chance of producing offspring with birth defects. In my opinion, this particular taboo has some pretty compelling reasons for existing.

RichardL
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2007, 6:00 pm

janicka wrote:
RichardL wrote:
janicka wrote:
RichardL wrote:
Yes, I am gay.

Even if the swing is attached to the family tree, you still shouldn't care how I swing.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was pointing out to New_Guy_64 that he should be encouraging you to seek non-familial relationships with the person of your choice (as opposed to just girls). I don't think that homosexuality is taboo or disgusting or anything like that - it's how you were born. I do, however, think incest is disgusting, morally reprehensable, and unnatural.

It disrupts family structure and has a higher than normal chance of producing offspring with birth defects. In my opinion, this particular taboo has some pretty compelling reasons for existing.

Are you kidding? It's kinda cool, in my opinion. If I had a sister and I married her, I could be my own child's uncle. If I had a child with my daughter from that relationship, I'd be the father/grandfather/great-uncle. If I had a child with my daughter from that relationship, I'd be the father/grandfather/greatgrandfather/great-great-uncle. The family tree would be kinda fun to draw :P

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2007, 6:05 pm

RichardL wrote:
Are you kidding? It's kinda cool, in my opinion. If I had a sister and I married her, I could be my own child's uncle. If I had a child with my daughter from that relationship, I'd be the father/grandfather/great-uncle. If I had a child with my daughter from that relationship, I'd be the father/grandfather/greatgrandfather/great-great-uncle. The family tree would be kinda fun to draw :P

LOL - I've been through some pretty nasty breakups in the past, so I am just imagining how much more horrific those breakups would have been if I was my own grandmother...

new_guy_64
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Mar 2007, 6:05 pm

RichardL wrote:
janicka wrote:
RichardL wrote:
janicka wrote:
RichardL wrote:
Yes, I am gay.

They rest of your family would reject you for it and your children would be more than likely mentally ret*d.

sun_rat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2007, 7:58 pm

i wonder how many adopted people unknowingly married siblings in the age of closed adoptions, before adoptees could legally find out who their parents were...

i do not want the government in my bedroom. or your bedroom. if someone finds a sheep sexually attractive and the sheep is of teh age of consent and consenting, who am i to judge...

and i as an aspie do not want the government arbitrarily deciding that because i would produce more aspies, that i should not be allowed to marry and procreate with another aspie. or even an NT.

fortunately, i already did my procreating bit. but those of you young people better think carefully about the reasons why you would prohibit these people from procreating, because it could be used against you to force you to be sterilized. after all, you would pass down the aspie gene.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2007, 2:58 am

sun_rat wrote:
i wonder how many adopted people unknowingly married siblings in the age of closed adoptions, before adoptees could legally find out who their parents were...

i do not want the government in my bedroom. or your bedroom. if someone finds a sheep sexually attractive and the sheep is of teh age of consent and consenting, who am i to judge...

and i as an aspie do not want the government arbitrarily deciding that because i would produce more aspies, that i should not be allowed to marry and procreate with another aspie. or even an NT.

fortunately, i already did my procreating bit. but those of you young people better think carefully about the reasons why you would prohibit these people from procreating, because it could be used against you to force you to be sterilized. after all, you would pass down the aspie gene.

Sheep can't give consent, but short of that extreme, I have to agree. Just last night, as I was talking to my kid about AS for the first time (and telling him he has it), I explained to him about how Dr. Asperger championed the cause of AS kids, who would probably have otherwise been sterilized or killed as part of the German eugenics campaign. The reasons for denying relatives the right to wed are no more logical than denying marriage to those with Tay-Sachs, hemophilia or sickle cell anemia in their families, who are arguably a greater risk to the gene pool. And marriage is not synonymous with reproduction anyway. People get married all the time, even if they can't or won't have kids. People have kids all the time, even if they aren't married and have no intention of ever being so. Regulating one does not regulate the other.

Depending on the circumstances, maybe the kids will be stigmatized. Well, in some places, so will the kids of mixed-race couples. Does that mean we need to bring back miscegenation laws?

Incest is definitely not my cup of tea, but I can see no arbitrary reason to single out incestuous relationships between consenting adults, when there are no restrictions on other adults passing along their genetic risks. As regards marriage, I don't see why the government should be in the business of enforcing religious rules, which is basically what this all boils down to. They shouldn't be in the marriage business at all (and weren't, for the most part, until the 1700s). We can't stop people from embarking on marriages that seem utterly doomed to failure, so we may as well let any adult marry any other adult and let them make whatever they can of it.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2007, 3:15 am

geek wrote:
sun_rat wrote:

Sheep can't give consent, but short of that extreme, I have to agree. Just last night, as I was talking to my kid about AS for the first time (and telling him he has it), I explained to him about how Dr. Asperger championed the cause of AS kids, who would probably have otherwise been sterilized or killed as part of the German eugenics campaign. The reasons for denying relatives the right to wed are no more logical than denying marriage to those with Tay-Sachs, hemophilia or sickle cell anemia in their families, who are arguably a greater risk to the gene pool. And marriage is not synonymous with reproduction anyway. People get married all the time, even if they can't or won't have kids. People have kids all the time, even if they aren't married and have no intention of ever being so. Regulating one does not regulate the other.

Depending on the circumstances, maybe the kids will be stigmatized. Well, in some places, so will the kids of mixed-race couples. Does that mean we need to bring back miscegenation laws?

Incest is definitely not my cup of tea, but I can see no arbitrary reason to single out incestuous relationships between consenting adults, when there are no restrictions on other adults passing along their genetic risks. As regards marriage, I don't see why the government should be in the business of enforcing religious rules, which is basically what this all boils down to. They shouldn't be in the marriage business at all (and weren't, for the most part, until the 1700s). We can't stop people from embarking on marriages that seem utterly doomed to failure, so we may as well let any adult marry any other adult and let them make whatever they can of it.

The problem is offspring will likely be deformed. If the couple agrees to be sterilized first I won't care.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2007, 4:56 am

My wife and I both carry ample sets of aspie genes, and have had one aspie kid already. We may well have another kid, and odds are fairly high that they'll be an aspie too.

Is it government's proper role to nullify our marriage or have us sterilized?

tallfreak
Raven
Raven

15 Mar 2007, 3:01 pm

geek wrote:
My wife and I both carry ample sets of aspie genes, and have had one aspie kid already. We may well have another kid, and odds are fairly high that they'll be an aspie too.

That's a totally different scenario. Personally I don't find being an Aspie a genetic defect, but a gift or at least a characteristic. I think your comparing apples to oranges here. Siblings having kids with each other does create genetic defects that are debilitating and is in a totally different ballpark that Apsergers.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2007, 6:47 pm

tallfreak wrote:
geek wrote:

That's a totally different scenario. Personally I don't find being an Aspie a genetic defect, but a gift or at least a characteristic. I think your comparing apples to oranges here. Siblings having kids with each other does create genetic defects that are debilitating and is in a totally different ballpark that Apsergers.

Argeed, normal people who marry aren't subject to the sterilzation idea no matter there genes because it's a small chance to pass on.

In cases of inbreeding the chance of deformation is a whooping 50/50.

new_guy_64
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Mar 2007, 6:58 pm

Flagg wrote:
tallfreak wrote:
geek wrote:

Argeed, normal people who marry aren't subject to the sterilzation idea no matter there genes because it's a small chance to pass on.

It depends on how related you are to the relative.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2007, 7:09 pm

new_guy_64 wrote:
Flagg wrote:
tallfreak wrote:
geek wrote:

For any cousin less then 3 times removed

RichardL
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Mar 2007, 8:25 pm

Flagg wrote:
new_guy_64 wrote:
Flagg wrote:
tallfreak wrote:
geek wrote:

Actually I read on Wikipedia once that if siblings have kids together, then the kids will only have a slightly higher risk of deformities. The risk is 3 to 4% for unrelated couples, and 4 to 7% for sibling couples.

new_guy_64
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Mar 2007, 8:26 pm

RichardL wrote:
Flagg wrote:
new_guy_64 wrote:
Flagg wrote:
tallfreak wrote:
geek wrote:

Actually I read on Wikipedia once that if siblings have kids together, then the kids will only have a slightly higher risk of deformities. The risk is 3 to 4% for unrelated couples, and 4 to 7% for sibling couples.

the brother-sister incest site said it was a 50% for bros and sisters.

RichardL
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Mar 2007, 8:31 pm

new_guy_64 wrote:
RichardL wrote:
Flagg wrote:
new_guy_64 wrote:
Flagg wrote:
tallfreak wrote:
geek wrote:

the brother-sister incest site said it was a 50% for bros and sisters.

Is it a pro-incest site or an anti-incest site?

If it's an anti-incest site, there might be skewed statistics.

new_guy_64
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Mar 2007, 9:28 pm

For cousins there is a 4-7% chance of birth defects, but sisters and brothers are different. I've seen some pro cousin marriage sites and they say the same thing as the anti-incest sites.