Page 5 of 16 [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 3:43 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
A security breach of the highest order. As noted above rallygoers alerted law enforcement about Crooks before he started shooting. For such high profile political figures all rooftops in the vicinity are usually cleared and law enforcement deployed. .

to make matters worse, attempts to warn the authorities of Crooks crawling up on the roof with an AR15 strapped to his back were ignored. I suspect trump's camp would want to see a few heads roll (not literally of course) for the lapse in security. Basic security 101 to secure rooftops nearby.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 3:48 am

Ok this is wild, snipers positioned on opposite rooves took out Crook

Surely the snipers must have seen him climb up on he roof if the local trump bufoons could see Crook??

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 3:56 am

cyberdad wrote:
Ok this is wild, snipers positioned on opposite rooves took out Crook

Surely the snipers must have seen him climb up on he roof if the local trump bufoons could see Crook??

I heard a tree or tree limb was obstructing the good guy's line of sight where the sniper was.I dont know if thats true or not.

Bestiola
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jul 2024, 4:03 am

Unfortunately, this might make Trump only more popular. :?

https://theintercept.com/2024/07/13/tru ... -shooting/

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 5:00 am

Of course it will. Drama is Trump's oxygen.

In addition it will be a break from the media pressure on Biden to make way for a stronger candidate.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 5:42 am

It's getting to the point where they might as well hand Trump the election now. Biden has no idea where is or even who he is and now someone nearly killed Trump.

After this, I can't foresee Biden ever winning.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 6:00 am

belijojo wrote:
Trump's incessant head bobbing and body rocking during his speech was prescient. :lol:

Cant help but think of the climactic scene in the movie "Day of the Jackal" about a professional assassin (ID still unknown AFAIK) hired by a French rightwing faction to kill De Gaul in the Fifties in revenge for De Gaul allowing Algeria to go free. Apparently the assassin was a non Frenchmen who didnt realize that De Gaul would bow his head and rub cheeks with the war hero as per ancient French custom. See at 1:33.

https://youtu.be/C5SuA0EKY8M

The shooter in this Pennsylania attempt on Trump was 450 feet away from his target (much farther than the Jackal). Even Chris Kyle would be hard put to hit even a mannequin at one-and-a-half-foot-ball-fields length I would think. And yes..Trump does get rather animated when he speaks. So Trump probably did turn his head at just the right moment (for Trump to survive).

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

14 Jul 2024, 6:05 am

BBC Verify: How close was the gunman to Trump? (plus articles linked on that page)

Rather a small crowd, though.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 6:17 am

Regardless of who wins the next election (Remsmber that even if the one who gets in one does not want in, one has a strong opposition to challenge anything proposed which is not a good idea, so even if one does not like Trumps ideas, one can air ones views to ones local electorate, but make sure they are views on what has been proposed and not wasting their time about not wanting the man as president (As one can say the same if Biden gets in next and one does not want Biden. LOOK at individual items being proposed and concentrate on those, and air ones views and thoughts on th e subjects being discussed at the time in your parliament. Every view counts and is brought forward, whether ones electorate if from the party in power or an opposition party. It is their job to take the views of their electorates, sift through them and take the views that represent their peoples hopes and concerns into parliament so a more balanced view and picture emerges for all parties to collectively vote on.
Don't forget that even if Trump gets in, that I have seen Trump backtrack on some decisions when he realized that the majority of people didn't want it and it wasn't working for them. So despite one not wanting to support the man or his party (If one thinks in that way) at least you still have a reasonably sensible democratic process which Trump, Biden and everyone else has to listen to, as with the system, it is the majority that has the say (Within sensible reason of course), and if one has not visited ones local.electorate to air ones views on any proposition, how is Trump or Biden ever going to know if what they are proposing or impliamenting is working unless they hear feedback from the people?
We have a system like that. If something we don't like comes in we can air our views despite our views clashing with our MP's personal oppinions if they do clash... As it is their job to gather all the feedback of any issues that need addressing and if the issues can't be sorted locally, to bring them to the parliament to voice the concerns, and then, if there are practical solutions, it is the party innpower to propose those solutions and all parties to then vote on if they think the proposals will work and are practical to work, (And here in the UK we have a secondary House of Lords as a back up process to look at what the House of Commons has voted in and discuss at length the ins ane outs of the proposal to accept it or reject it and put forward ideas on how to ammend it to make it work (And if rejected it goes back to be ammended by the house of Commons again to act on the ammendments to give it their vote again, and then it goes back to the Lords to give their approval before it comes out into practice in the public domain, so we do have a good system which does ultimately need collective feedback from the likes of you and me in order for it to operate and work.

https://everything2.com/user/Zifendorf/writeups/shutdow

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 6:21 am

Cornflake wrote:
BBC Verify: How close was the gunman to Trump? (plus articles linked on that page)

Yes. 132 meters is 150 yards, or 450 feet.

Apparently the shooter got off more than one shot, and one shot went past Trump and hit some spectator in the bleachers on Trump's left according to that BBC report.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 14 Jul 2024, 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 6:35 am

I'm glad Trump survived. I wouldn't with that on anybody. Trump has done a lot of great things for America. I'm amazed that no one has done that to Justin Trudeau.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

14 Jul 2024, 6:38 am

Yep, ~450 feet.

BBC News (unsurprisingly) has several reports on it including video of the actual shooting.
Incredibly lucky for Trump - barely 1/2 inch difference there between life and death. It could have been another Zapruder moment. 8O

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 6:46 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

Yes. 132 meters is 150 yards, or 450 feet.

Apparently the shooter got off more than one shot, and one shot went past Trump and hit some spectator in the bleacher on Trump's left according to that BBC report.

He missed with a 90% chance of hitting. Probably the closest anyone came to an assassination since Kennedy. Not even Reagan's attempt had such high odds.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 6:46 am

Cornflake wrote:
Yep, ~450 feet.

BBC News (unsurprisingly) has several reports on it including video of the actual shooting.
Incredibly lucky for Trump - barely 1/2 inch difference there between life and death. It could have been another Zapruder moment. 8O

Just over 100 meters is point blank.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 7:58 am

It is really bad that anyone needs security to protect them in the western world to be honest. No one whatsoever has the right to take anyone elses life with the rare exeptions of protecting others (Such as the security guards did) or a war.

https://everything2.com/user/Zifendorf/writeups/shutdow

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 14 Jul 2024, 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Harmonie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jul 2024, 8:21 am

Nades wrote:
It's getting to the point where they might as well hand Trump the election now. Biden has no idea where is or even who he is ...

This is absurd. Yes, Biden is certainly having some cognitive decline, but you are exaggerating it far beyond reality. Besides, I don't care how much cognitive decline Biden has suffered in the end, it doesn't even begin to even remotely justify handing the election to a man who is a convicted felon, a proud sexual assaulter, an insurrection-inciter, who tried to steal an election, who said he will be "dictator for a day", and who is the vehicle for extreme Christian authoritarians to impose their religion and oppressive views on all of us.

To hand the election to that because of Biden's cognitive decline is...well... baffling, to say the least.