Thousands wounded by Exploding Pagers in Lebanon

Page 5 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

21 Sep 2024, 5:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
(...) the "Israel bad" argument that is the only perspective permitted on WP.
Utter nonsense - how else would you still be posting?

Oh wait, you mean your stance is being challenged?
It's a discussion; it's unrealistic to expect everyone else to follow along with your view.
Maybe make a better case?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 5:14 am

Cornflake wrote:
It's a discussion; it's unrealistic to expect everyone else to follow along with your view.

I have tried.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 6:07 am

Those saying the tactic used here morally wrong fall into two basic camps.

Those that think Israel’s existence is a catastrophe. By that definition everything Israel has done, are doing, and will do is a crime against morality.

Those that argue the tactic used is wrong because it was deployed in populated areas making civilian casualties inevitable. Whether realizing or not the second camp is arguing for semi pacifism or only using purely defensive measures such shooting down incoming missiles and killing invaders in your territory, or in open areas. Even with the most precision weapons if you attack a military target in populated areas especially in densely populated areas such as Beirut you are going to knowingly kill and maim innocents including children.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 6:16 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Were the devices that Israel blew up widely distributed to civilians?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 11:38 am

cyberdad wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

I have tried.

You might need to concede that all you have is whataboutism and bad faith attempts to portray Israel as the victim in the whole affair.

A better case doesn't exist, you've done your best but there's no way to spin things to make Israel not the antagonist.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 2:07 pm

Adding to the above

Beirut eye doctor describes 'devastating' injuries after blasts

Quote:
An eye doctor in Lebanon said he has treated some 40 to 50 people with serious injuries, including some who lost both eyes, after a wave of communication device explosions targeted members of the militant group Hezbollah this week, killing dozens.

“We’ve never seen that much cases of patients and casualties that have been losing their eyes because of explosions,” Dr. Elias Warrak told NBC News. “It’s a nightmare.”

Warrak said for some patients, he could save one eye, but “unfortunately, some of them, we lost both eyes.”

The doctor said some of the patients he has seen came to him after having been treated by neurosurgeons to remove shrapnel from their brains.

He said he believes the patients were injured while “looking at something” that exploded because “you can see from the pattern of injuries that something has blown just directly in the face.”

Warrak said he has been running between several different hospitals to tend to the injured.

“This is the first time that I had to take out that much eyes in a couple of days,” he said.

“As a human being, definitely, it is devastating. It kills me,” he said

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 2:32 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

I have tried.

You might need to concede that all you have is whataboutism and bad faith attempts to portray Israel as the victim in the whole affair.

A better case doesn't exist, you've done your best but there's no way to spin things to make Israel not the antagonist.

Asking for consistent standards is different from whataboutism.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 2:38 pm

Jono wrote:
Asking for consistent standards is different from whataboutism.

If only that were an honest assessment of the tactics being employed to defend Israeli terrorist actions.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 6:38 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Let's start with basic human rights shall we.

Your own Canadian government "supports Israel's right to live in peace with its neighbours within secure boundaries and recognizes Israel's right to assure its own security."

Not surprisingly the highlighted bit is what all western democracies agree. Israel has the right to defend themselves. they recognise Israel must form a security state to protect its own civilians. this is fairly unambiguous recognition that Israel is not the antagonist in all the major conflicts that have happened since 1948.

Where countries like Canada and Australia respond in similar ways
https://www.canada.ca/en/global-affairs ... seque.html

Both our governments only go against Israel operating outside of their borders (Gaza civilian areas) resulting in the deaths of civilians or Israeli settlers illegally occupying lands outside of treaties. But I don't see any mention of "terrorist state" (do you?).

So no, it's not spin, it aligns with current global policy from the developed world toward Israel.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 7:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Let's start with basic human rights shall we.

Your own Canadian government "supports Israel's right to live in peace with its neighbours within secure boundaries and recognizes Israel's right to assure its own security."

Not surprisingly the highlighted bit is what all western democracies agree. Israel has the right to defend themselves. they recognise Israel must form a security state to protect its own civilians. this is fairly unambiguous recognition that Israel is not the antagonist in all the major conflicts that have happened since 1948.

Where countries like Canada and Australia respond in similar ways
https://www.canada.ca/en/global-affairs ... seque.html

Both our governments only go against Israel operating outside of their borders (Gaza civilian areas) resulting in the deaths of civilians or Israeli settlers illegally occupying lands outside of treaties. But I don't see any mention of "terrorist state" (do you?).

So no, it's not spin, it aligns with current global policy from the developed world toward Israel.

It's almost like many nations treat Israel with kid gloves and are afraid to call a spade a spade because Israel will slander them as antisemitic.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 7:27 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
It's almost like many nations treat Israel with kid gloves and are afraid to call a spade a spade because Israel will slander them as antisemitic.

You know it's more complex than that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 9:09 pm

As I predicted, Israel were trying to thwart a full blown invasion, which is now imminent.
https://www.news.com.au/world/middle-ea ... eaa0c5644b

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2024, 3:01 am

Hezbollah launches major attack on Israel a few hours ago.
https://www.news.com.au/world/middle-ea ... 1ca3b12b42

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2024, 8:29 am

cyberdad wrote:
As I predicted, Israel were trying to thwart a full blown invasion, which is now imminent.
https://www.news.com.au/world/middle-ea ... eaa0c5644b

Imagine launching a massive terrorist attack and not expecting retaliation. :roll:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2024, 1:17 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Hezbollah launches major attack on Israel a few hours ago.
https://www.news.com.au/world/middle-ea ... 1ca3b12b42

The link is to an article about the Israeli raid on Al Jezeera.

As of this writing there is no Hezbollah invasion. There is escalation by both sides.