NOT GOOD, Connecticut shooter was diagnosed with Aspergers..

Page 7 of 28 [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 28  Next

MindAsh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2012, 3:01 am

khnk222 wrote:
MindAsh wrote:
anyone can be pushed to kill but i think the connection between school shootings and asperger's if there even is one is that Aspies tend to not only be easy open targets of bullying but also don't usually fight back in turn allowing for them to be bullied not only more in terms of ammount but also in terms of severity and this if anything i feel would be the factor to consider not just them being emotionless aspies which i sure as hell have emotions and even empathy!

also here is a short dislaimer i wrote on my FB page after hearing this

for the record let me state that what i did at school when i was 17 was not intended to cause anyone anything more than a slight scare after having to deal with being treated like sh** on a daily basis for 11 years of my life. i do not advocate harming other people let alone killing and the only weapons i posses are words art and and music also i am diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome but now they'
re saying this shooter and i believe they said James holmes was also diagnosed with AS and the point im getting nervous to go outside because of a mix of certain people judging me for something i did over a decade ago when i was still a stupid young kid that i am nothing even remotely like in my adult life nor since. ive not been in trouble, ive not hurt anyone and if anything i go out of my way to help out people when i can 99% of the time even when i have nothing to gain from it and mix that with having the AS diagnosis that i do along with these monsters commiting atrocious acts and can you blame me now for being just a little paranoid?
As it stands i live by a very strict albeit simple code
1:do not harm yourself or others
2:help out when and however you can but dont expect payment
3:understand it takes all walks of life to make the world go round and remain open to understanding
4:do what you can to make this world better for those just starting out as well as your fellow man
5:do not lie cheat or steal
6:show respect to those who deserve it and do not disrespect those you do not know
7:learn to love and live it
8:try not to vent more than you have to and pass on negativity through such actions
9:Question,Understand,Adapt
and 10: do your best to give others the benefit of the doubt

with that all being ranted out and said anyone who knows me knows im not a violent person, i don't really hold a grudge, and even tho i can be a bit bitchy or whiny im generally known to have a positive personality so please don't judge me on the actions of monsters or a past which i have done my best to grow up from.

Thank you

a brief backstory
back in school from 1st grade until 11th when i had my incident i was beaten and bullied on a daily basis physically and psychologically even not during school hours i would have groups of local neighborhood kids riding their bikes in circles outside my house threatening to beat me amongst other things daily for hours upon hours and finally after turning to drugs namely valium and xanax i snapped one night shaved my eyebrows dyed my hair black and while still high came up with the idea to fill a test tube with water bring it to school and tell some people it was chlorine gas i was going to put in the vents just to cause a scare as it was tested by the police, it was only water and i had no other weapons/chemicals ect on me i just wanted to the school to have a wakeup call and in hindsight it was not a well thought out way of doing that i've known for a long time now and would never do such a thing again let alone something worse! im rather relaxed and content in life at age 30 and have no real issues with anyone and get along with pretty much everyone i meet but i ended going to a boys boarding school for 5 months following a month in a psychatiric childrens hospital for evaluation. but that turned out to be a great experiencing i grew and learned alot from and had it not happened i may have gotten into worse trouble with age but thankfully since that incident i havent had any legal problems aside from 3 or 4 traffic violations and 1 time lowest level misdemeanor one can get for having a marijuana pipe in my pocket on my way to go for a hike last year and i rarely if ever even smoke but figured it would be a nice day but oops heh. ok regardless i think i made my point and sorry for the rant style but as you all know it happens with some of us :-)
I never had it that bad in school, most of my issues were with socializing. I asked out a girl I really liked back in 8th grade and I couldn't talk to her after that (just not good at talking, she wasn't really like me much in the first place) and she broke up with me after Christmas break was over. Before 7th grade I was even worse when it came to socializing, I still got called names but mostly nothing psysical. I did get punched in the balls and hit in the face with a ball a good few times. The basketballs hitting my face numerous times over the years (started happening in third grade) was mainly my fault, and back then in 8th, getting punched in the nuts or balls was something those guys did to each other too, not just me. I have had longer hippie-like hair for a while(since 8th grade), that got some people calling me gay, and I was picked on by taller people for being average height. I also had OCD all that time too I posted here:http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf210871-0-15.html about that.

well all i can say now that im older wiser and have been through the ringer is that im far more laid back, dont have emotional outbursts or anger issues and get along with pretty much everyone i interact with so on the bright side it came and passed and as much as it sucked i don't hold any grudges, lifes too short to get caught up on things like this in a negative way that effects you a decade after the fact. my best advise to anyone experiencing this sort of thing is just speak out and dont enable bullies by hiding the fact it is happening thats when things get repressed sometimes to a dangerous level and can eventually manifest as someone putting a scare into their peers and teachers such as i did and wouldnt do again and on the extreme end things like what happened today and in other similiar instances and also that no matter how much it sucks it will eventually pass and life will go on

MindAsh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2012, 3:06 am

PseudointellectualHorse wrote:
MindAsh wrote:
anyone notice this headline today of all days as well? http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/world/asi ... hpt=hp_bn2

i know its relatively unrelated but theres 2 things i wish to point out. this happened the same day as the shooting in Conneticut and as i stated above it shows how the problem is not just somthing Gun related as a man with a knife (or anything be it a hammer or baseball bat or even a set of car keys) who is intent on harming others can easily accomplish such pathetic acts without a Gun.
The arguments have been going back and forth since forever...do guns kill people, or do people kill people? Personally I don't think that's the primary question. I look at it this way: Civilization is based upon restraining our evil impulses. (Some would argue that people shouldn't have evil impulses, but I consider that attitude unrealistic.) If restraint is the key, then either restraint comes from within (we restrain ourselves) or without (somebody else beats us into submission). Seems to me the latter approach may be effective, but it's dehumanizing. I want to live in a world where we have as much liberty as possible; where we can choose our paths. As an eccentric character, this is particularly important to me, because decisions made by the tribal council will not take my particular quirky wants or needs into account. So ideally, I'd like to not shoot because I curb my anger, not because they took away my gun. In other words, I must understand and accept the responsibility that comes with liberty. Same argument with respect to drugs, etc. Of course, you push that philosophy too far and you get anarchy, which doesn't work. There has to be some structure, yes, and regretfully some enforcement. But we must take care. For example, the American Energy Secretary, in defense of outlawing incandescent bulbs, said "We are taking away a choice that continues to let people waste their own money." I suppose he's got a point. Especially if he's managing an anthill. But if we're to live as human beings, I'd rather be convinced than coerced.

Very well put and Valid points. i mena in an idealistic sense anarchy could work but ONLY if every single individual in such a world was mature and responsible enough to live as such which the reality of it is no thats not going to happen lol

and heres just a tiny bit of humor to lighten the mood but personally i find it to be a far worse and more suiting punishment to let bullies etc succumb to the aches and pains of old age rather than harming or killing and i speak from personal experience as im 30 goin on 90 lol

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 3:19 am

What puzzles me...no...completely MYSTIFIES me is the amount of guns Adam Lanza's mother kept in her house in a quiet, crime-free affluent neighborhood with an unpredictable son. To wit:
9mm Glock
9mm Sig Sauer
AR-15 type assault rifle
a Henry repeating rifle
an Enfield rifle
a shotgun

WTH? Was she planning for war? I don't even own a bullet let alone a firearm. Mamas and papas, here's a tip. If you have unstable children, please, don't have firearms in the house. Geez!

Link to Mama's Gun Arsenal

SickInDaHead
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2012, 3:27 am

redrobin62 wrote:
What puzzles me...no...completely MYSTIFIES me is the amount of guns Adam Lanza's mother kept in her house in a quiet, crime-free affluent neighborhood with an unpredictable son. To wit:
9mm Glock
9mm Sig Sauer
AR-15 type assault rifle
a Henry repeating rifle
an Enfield rifle
a shotgun

WTH? Was she planning for war? I don't even own a bullet let alone a firearm. Mamas and papas, here's a tip. If you have unstable children, please, don't have firearms in the house. Geez!

That's not an arsenal.

Unless you are living like a 1950s communist in downtown Moscow with merely a bed, table, chair, and an oil rug, I am sure that there are things in your house that you don't need.
That's a gun collection, and quite normal from the looks of it.
"arsenal" - do you work for the media?

Kind of makes me glad it might be blown into an OMG Aspergers! thing because a lot of people here who don't quite grasp the second amendment is going to at least learn how a gun owner feels when the Group-Blame hammer comes calling.

Welcome to the party.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 3:42 am

redrobin62 wrote:
What puzzles me...no...completely MYSTIFIES me is the amount of guns ... .

6 firearms isn't all that many for someone interested in shooting.

I have 6. I'd have way, way more if I were wealthy.

MindAsh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2012, 3:43 am

might not be an arsenal but what kind of kindergarden teacher usually stocks up on that sort of stuff? i mean its not unheard of but just seems odd ya know?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 3:48 am

MindAsh wrote:
might not be an arsenal but what kind of kindergarden teacher usually stocks up on that sort of stuff? i mean its not unheard of but just seems odd ya know?

A teacher who likes shooting? Being female would be "odder", as females usually aren't into shooting unless they have a male close to them that is (which means they were probably her son's).

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

15 Dec 2012, 3:55 am

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to News and Current Events]

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 4:21 am

reneeirena wrote:
He was human. Let's just leave it at that. Aspie, NT or otherwise, a human being is fully capable of violence. He might have been a little more prone to violence, but it's still wrong to assume that AS was the cause. Anyone with the "right" motivation can do something like that.

Spot on, sadly true.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 4:34 am

This is very sad news on so many levels.

Very sorry for the families and now other Aspies who will experience prejudice because of this kind of stupidity and media reporting.

I'm an aspie and generally quite the hippy. Whilst I can understand the frustration from NT emotional nonsense, I've always thought Aspies were too moral and ethical for this kind of thing.

Personally, I believe this must have a trigger event (maybe he was getting kicked out of home?) and be down to a lot of bad experience and bad conditioning. Whenever there is emotional flooding, its important to get beyond suppression and expression and just click the brain forward and let go of negative emotion before negative actions kick in.

bLueTaEl0nENiGMA
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Dec 2012, 4:34 am

the negative publicity in 2007 had focused on his autism/asperger's and his medications.
he had a knife collection and had stabbed a poor freshman in january after getting a
transfer to a big middlesex county area regional highschool. this incident in connecticut
is tragic. the family had moved there, then the parents divorced. adam lanza was born
in N.H. about 20 years ago. if the shooter had been placed on medications due to a
diagnosis, then we are going to hear about the pros and cons of this all. the act was very
clearly premeditated, the nation is in shock. barack obama eloquently addressed us all.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 4:39 am

My two pennies worth of speculation.

The brother, who is still fairly young, not seeing his brother speaks volumes. Either home life with the Aspie sibling was a hot train wreck, and he couldn't take the crazy anymore,

Or

Substance abuse of some sort.

Most sibs don't peace out that early on family until they start dating and marrying. I have had friends with special needs siblings that did it. They were in their 30s.

Guessing 20 something angst+nothing positive happening in his life+substance abuse+parental ultimatum= snap.

Still doesn't give the douche the right to wipe out a bunch of babies.

Did anyone find out who the second person in custody it? Curious.

bLueTaEl0nENiGMA
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Dec 2012, 4:49 am

The FBI also talked to his father who is in stamford connecticut.
Hurricane Sandy at the beginning of November had hit NYC
and the coast of NJ really hard, there was a recent rock and
roll benefit concert for people displaced by the storm. the small
town in Connecticut is about 70 miles to the north east of NYC.
years ago Mario Lanza the famous singer from Philly died in
the late 1950s in Italy. the media mistakingly thought poor ryan
went on the rampage when an I.D. was found on the school grounds.
ryan lanza and his roomate were grilled by our FBI and local police.

Last edited by bLueTaEl0nENiGMA on 15 Dec 2012, 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 4:58 am

noxnocturne wrote:
This is no excuse. This person knew right from wrong. He knew what he was doing when he went in there and shot the children and the adults. It was an act of pure evil, plain and simple.

+1

Folks go through all sorts of beyond the pale, hellish situations, and don't shoot up 30 odd people. I'm talking death camps, genocide, and war. People seeing their family members murdered in front of them.

There is nothing in this guy's life that justifies his actions today. The only thing I might concede, is he was hopped up on something, and that lowered his inhibitions.

How many people go through horrific child abuse (physical and mental), and don't decide to go human hunting?

So he had a sh***y childhood, divorced, parents, and bullying. How many people here come from that same situation? There would be bodies littering the street, if you all took out your frustrations with Mr. Glock.

I work in an elementary school and today has been horrible.

Twilightflame
Raven
Raven

15 Dec 2012, 5:15 am

Not again...

reneeirena wrote:
He was human. Let's just leave it at that. Aspie, NT or otherwise, a human being is fully capable of violence. He might have been a little more prone to violence, but it's still wrong to assume that AS was the cause. Anyone with the "right" motivation can do something like that.

Humans do not like to acknowledge the possibility that they can be 'evil' too.

Let's not blame the German people in 1945, let's blame only Hitler and the Nazi party.
Let's not blame the Italian people, let's blame only Mussolini and the Fascist party.
Let's not blame the Japanese people or even their emperor for entering the war, let's blame Hideki Tojo and his gang.

Let's blame the killings on him having ASD, not on any circumstances in his life, of which some of the deceased may have been a major part, because one does not simply speak ill of the dead. But it's all right to discriminate against a subset of the population because, well, after all, they're stark raving mad lunatics, and sane people like us can never use our guns the same way. And they're a small minority anyway!

On a side note, people don't like to acknowledge their relations to other living things either. Anything that reminds us that we are similar to animals evokes a feeling of disgust. Violence. Faeces. Illness. Death. Sex. We like to think that we are somehow elevated over the issues of living beings, and outlaw as taboo any reality that reminds us otherwise. Similar, really.

It's events like this that make me never want to get an official diagnosis. I'm governed by extremely strict codes of ethics internally, and those codes will not allow me to lie and say 'I was not diagnosed with any mental conditions' if I in fact was. Therefore, I have to use the alternative of never really finding out for sure, so that I will never be bound by my obligation to the truth to disclose it in such a circumstance.

Todesking wrote:
Has anything been said about his other disorders? Once they mention those, we need to make sure to chime in on those other disorders when we here someone is bad mouthing Asperger's Syndrome.

If anyone hears anything about those other disorders they need to post them so we can steer people away from blaming it all on his Aspergers.

Don't start this. No group deserves to be discriminated against in that way. We have known what it is like to suffer at the end of being painted with a broad-stroke brush, we should never do the same. Within-group variation is almost always greater than between-group variation, it is both dishonest and shockingly distasteful to redirect the vultures onto another victim group just to save ourselves from it.

Last edited by Twilightflame on 15 Dec 2012, 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 5:34 am

redrobin62 wrote:
9mm Glock
9mm Sig Sauer
AR-15 type assault rifle
a Henry repeating rifle
an Enfield rifle
a shotgun

That's not an arsenal, but it's a nice starter's collection. :wink:
Perhaps you should google what types of guns those are before calling it an arsenal. Henry repeaters have been around since 1860, Enfields could refer to any number of rifles from as early as 1851 (none are auto-loaders), and shotguns have been around since the mid 1700, with breech-loading cartridge models being available in the US since 1867. All of them have either hunting, recreational, and self-defense uses, and only looks intimidating to the naive.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud