Page 7 of 10 [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 12:47 pm

I just realized it hit Alex very hard!

It's very appalling and the one who said that was right on regardless!

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 1:08 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:

How did you come to realize this?
larsenjw92286 wrote:

Said what?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 1:44 pm

Alex is from Virginia and I am appalled that such an event happened!

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 2:00 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:

Everyone in this entire country was effected in such a way. Has he said he knew anyone? Did he express anything on it?

larsenjw92286 wrote:

I still don't understand what you were referring to here.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 2:24 pm

shadexiii wrote:
larsenjw92286 wrote:

Everyone in this entire country was effected in such a way. Has he said he knew anyone? Did he express anything on it?

I asked Alex pretty early on in the thread if he went to school there because I know he lives in the DC area (didn't know he lived in VA, specifically). He has not yet responded.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

18 Apr 2007, 2:41 pm

janicka wrote:
shadexiii wrote:
larsenjw92286 wrote:

I asked Alex pretty early on in the thread if he went to school there because I know he lives in the DC area (didn't know he lived in VA, specifically). He has not yet responded.

George Mason University is also in Virginia I think thats where Alex goes to college.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 2:51 pm

I'm pretty sure you are right, from what I remember. That's across the state. Parts of West Virginia and North Carolina are closer. I think part of Tennessee is closer as well, something like a two hour drive from here. It is quite possible he knows someone that goes here. It is even possible he knew one of the victims, or perhaps someone that knew someone.

To say he is having a hard time with this is a bit of a leap. He may be, but he hasn't reflected that (or mentioned it) in any posts I've seen.

headphase
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 3:10 pm

If he went to hs in VA, he would definitely know someone at VT.

alex
Developer
Developer

18 Apr 2007, 3:15 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:

Way to make yourself look stupid by purporting to know exactly what someone you've never met is feeling. Seriously, this was a tragic event and you shouldn't marginalize it by being so insensitive!

I know people who go to Tech and I cant even imagine what it's like to have your school attacked on such a horrible level. I don't feel as safe walking around anymore when I know there are people like that who can go crazy like that at a university.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 3:38 pm

alex wrote:
I don't feel as safe walking around anymore when I know there are people like that who can go crazy like that at a university.

It seems like they're everywhere. Schools, malls, hospitals, workplaces... It's really a sad commentary about society when I think about it.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 3:47 pm

Apatura wrote:
Am I the only one hoping he wasn't an aspie or someone who was obviously aspie-ish?

Now that I've had a chance to think about it, the fact that he was a loner and didn't talk to people doesn't really impress me one way or another. I can think of a whole list of mental illnesses that can make someone behave like he did (depression, schizophrenia, any number of personality disorders). So quite honestly, I'm not too bothered by the fact he had that trait.

Also, the media has been reporting how his roommates didn't want to turn his computer off even though it was playing the same song over and over again at 5AM, and how he wouldn't say hi to people after they said hi to him, etc. You know, I've had roommates and lived in a dorm and in apartment buildings adjacent to college campuses. While I can't say that I made any lasting friendships with anyone and I know that most of these people considered me at the very least "eccentric", I don't think that this is how people talk about me. I can put together the energy to engage in some minimal level of social interaction required to function in college. He may have been a loner, but HE'S NOTHING LIKE US!

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 3:57 pm

alex wrote:
larsenjw92286 wrote:

Way to make yourself look stupid by purporting to know exactly what someone you've never met is feeling. Seriously, this was a tragic event and you shouldn't marginalize it by being so insensitive!

He assumed you were as upset over it as most people. Far worse assumptions can be made. No reason to be so aggressive. He also wasn't marginalizing anything. That would be the people around here that went out to get cases upon cases of beer because our classes were canceled for the week.
alex wrote:
I don't feel as safe walking around anymore when I know there are people like that who can go crazy like that at a university.

There's no point living in fear. This kind of event can't be prepared for. All the fear will do is hold you back. I still can't go back on campus, let alone near the building where it happened, but I recognize that that is foolish. It was an isolated incident. There's no reason to believe that it won't happen again tomorrow, but there's no reason to believe that it will.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

18 Apr 2007, 4:30 pm

janicka wrote:
alex wrote:

It seems like they're everywhere. Schools, malls, hospitals, workplaces... It's really a sad commentary about society when I think about it.

The odds of a stranger killing you excluding automobile accidents is quite low. We tend
to massively over estimate our risks.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 4:51 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
The odds of a stranger killing you excluding automobile accidents is quite low. We tend
to massively over estimate our risks.

I tend to be analytical, myself, so I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, last night some guy called Trolley Square and threatened to start shooting people there, so it's a little easy to loose sight of this fact when the last well-publicized spree killer prior to Cho shot up a mall that you go to with some regularity.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 5:08 pm

At this point in time, Cho isn't being discussed as ever having being DX'd. Which is odd, considering how abnormal he was in his behaviour. I imagine that if a DX was made, the networks would be blaring that all over the place, along with him being Asian and a loner. So it sounds like he had some underlying impulse to punish people, possibly some violence committed against him as a child. I believe that's the case when someone suffers from murderous rage, that they're seeking to avenge some personal hurt. His parents have locked themselves away in a hospital for the time being. Whether they'll ever talk about him is anyone's guess. The macabre fiction and poems he wrote will probably doom a future generation of would-be Poes and Lovecrafts to being sent to the school psychologist.

one_man_army
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Apr 2007, 5:10 pm

aylissa wrote:
And yet people in the US continue to assert that their "right to bear arms" is more important than others' rights to live. "Guns don't kill people" - yeah, right.

Guns don't kill people. Maniacs with guns kill people. Without guns, what would the hunters use to hunt deer?

As for the VT massacre, I send my condolences out to friends and family of loved ones who were killed in the hands of one insane man.