And mass murderer AB Breivik could be an Aspie...

Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 9:01 am

The newest nonsense is that the Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik, who actually shot and killed a 16-year old Aspie girl during his rampage might be an Aspie as well... There's a Swedish expert who believes his pretty extreme social problems could be caused by Autism.

TreehuggerXXL
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2012, 9:58 am

I'm confused, why not?

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 10:49 am

Diagnosing him with a mental illness is irrelevant. The 9/11 attackers probably were not very mentally sound, but that is not the interesting part. The interesting part is that they felt they were justified, given their worldview.

The much more worrisome question is where Breivik got his worldview from. We need to do some soul-searching about this. There is an industry built around making people afraid of Muslims, seeing them as invading brainwashed hordes. It's important to be able to think that Muslims are incorrect, without leading yourself down a dark path of paranoia.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 11:04 am

The 9/11 hijackers were textbook NT follower types. Breivik worked out a complete philosophy for himself. I'd say there's a good chance he's one of us.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 2:59 pm

fraac wrote:
The 9/11 hijackers were textbook NT follower types. Breivik worked out a complete philosophy for himself. I'd say there's a good chance he's one of us.

Possible, but I would assume perhaps schizophrenic, as they also work out complete philosophies/worldviews for themselves.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 3:05 pm

From what I heard he was a religious fanatic of some sort, and I thought he killed more than one person...I have not heard anything that indicates to me the guy would have had AS.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 3:10 pm

AS/ASD or not, he's a murderer, and deserves only justice to the fullest extent that the law will allow.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 3:12 pm

Is his social issues the only thing he has? If so, that isn't really autism. Just him having a social communication disorder and with the new criteria out, he wont have autism.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 3:19 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Is his social issues the only thing he has? If so, that isn't really autism. Just him having a social communication disorder and with the new criteria out, he wont have autism.

what social issues?

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 4:33 pm

Why is that nonsense? Is there some evidence that Autism means one couldn't be a mass murderer?

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 5:01 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Why is that nonsense? Is there some evidence that Autism means one couldn't be a mass murderer?

It doesn't I simply see no valid reasons to assume he had autism. Seems like another one of these 'because he murdered people he must have a mental disorder and autism sounds good.' cases.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 5:24 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
From what I heard he was a religious fanatic of some sort, and I thought he killed more than one person...I have not heard anything that indicates to me the guy would have had AS.

He killed 76 people. An Aspie girl who was a member of the youth organisation of the Norwegian Labour Party was among the kids he killed at their youth camp.

Jaydee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2012, 5:56 pm

Lonermutant wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

He killed 76 people. An Aspie girl who was a member of the youth organisation of the Norwegian Labour Party was among the kids he killed at their youth camp.
But knowing that the girl was an aspie would hardly stop him, though. Why would it? Have aspies more instrinsic value than NTs in the eyes of a fellow aspie? I should think not.
The reason behind the Asperger syndrome theory, is probably that Breivik has pursued his own "narrow" interests over a period of several years. Not wanting, nor being able, to get other people involved or interested in it. He has been extremely capable of planning and building a bomb; has spent years researching how to do it. He has furthermore spent years developing and writing about his own theories about immigration, muslims and "cultural marxism". One may safely say that this has been a special interest of his. He's always been regarded as something of a loner and has struggled with handling social rules and conventions. The psychiatrist suggesting AS also point to his difficulties passing the driving licence test. All these things do not necessarily point to AS, but it's just one of many possibilities the experts must consider.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 6:20 pm

Lonermutant wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

ok i was just confused about why she was the only one mentioned in the OP.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 6:25 pm

Jaydee wrote:
Lonermutant wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

But knowing that the girl was an aspie would hardly stop him, though. Why would it? Have aspies more instrinsic value than NTs in the eyes of a fellow aspie? I should think not.
The reason behind the Asperger syndrome theory, is probably that Breivik has pursued his own "narrow" interests over a period of several years. Not wanting, nor being able, to get other people involved or interested in it. He has been extremely capable of planning and building a bomb; has spent years researching how to do it. He has furthermore spent years developing and writing about his own theories about immigration, muslims and "cultural marxism". One may safely say that this has been a special interest of his. He's always been regarded as something of a loner and has struggled with handling social rules and conventions. The psychiatrist suggesting AS also point to his difficulties passing the driving licence test. All these things do not necessarily point to AS, but it's just one of many possibilities the experts must consider.

Well neurotypicals obsess over things too, especially if they are planning something huge like a shooting rampage they are going to spend quite a lot of time obsessing about it and planning it. So that alone certainly does not indicate Aspergers to me. Also there are other reasons one might struggle with handling social rules and conventions, have difficulties passing the driving licence test.

Maybe the experts should look at the diagnostic criteria and see how much that matches up with what they know of his childhood, adolescence and adulthood. Instead of using wide generalizations about people with AS.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 6:27 pm

Didn't he write a huge manifesto? I assume by default that anyone who writes a manifesto is aspie.