Trapped Chilean miners wont be rescued for months

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 7:42 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100822/wl_ ... -container

Man, seriously dont be surprised if they're all dead by the time they get to them. I know they said that they can access food and water from the outside but how long can they breathe down there with so little ventilation?

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 11:50 am

Entrapment topic

Just saw this on my local news channel. Food water and air can be sent down while engineers dig a rescue tunnel. I just hope they all can stand the claustrophobia and frustration. But four plus months does seem too long. 8O

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 1:24 pm

That's a very inhumane thing to do, to people. The workers won't live that long. They will all be dead, by the time that they're rescued.

Narkito
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Aug 2010, 9:17 pm

It is in fact a lot of time, however, as I understand it, it can't be done any faster, they have to drill a bigger hole, 66cm wide and 700mt deep, and make sure things don't crumble and fall on top of the miners, they also have to keep the airways open at the same time they're drilling, they can't reopen the mine, 'cause it may collapse all over again, this time effectively killing the 33 miners, plus, going through other ventilation ducts has proven far too slow (more than 3 to 4 months). As hard as it is to believe, this is the only viable option.

Hopes are high though, it was a very special kind of miracle that they found them alive, all of them.

Your Aspie score: 167 of 200 | Your NT score: 44 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

24 Aug 2010, 11:56 am

that is really sad. I hope they dont resort to canabalism due to being cooped up with the same people for 4 months

Narkito
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Aug 2010, 8:15 pm

Cannibalism? Naaah, I don't think so. So far they're in good spirits (I was just watching the news), they asked for beer, but doctors said alcoholic beverages would be put on hold for a while, so they asked if they could have some wine for the upcoming festivities (First Goverment Junta of Chile -as translated in wikipedia. Funny funny funny translation-).

Here, in Chile, we have lots of hope for them. We really want a happy ending, even if it takes 4 months to have one.

Your Aspie score: 167 of 200 | Your NT score: 44 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 8:32 am

sartresue wrote:
Entrapment topic

Just saw this on my local news channel. Food water and air can be sent down while engineers dig a rescue tunnel. I just hope they all can stand the claustrophobia and frustration. But four plus months does seem too long. 8O

No one can survive that long underground in a mine. There is the matter of food and water, to say nothing about fresh air to breath.

ruveyn

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 11:02 am

The Top 10 about the Chilean Miners (courtesy of the Daily Mirror)

1. 33 miners were trapped in the copper and gold mine of San Jose, near the northern Chilean city of Copiapo on August 5 when a cave in trapped them 2,300 feet (700 metres) underground.

2. On August 8 rescue workers began drilling bore-holes into the mine to try to locate the miners. It took until August 22 to detect any sign of life, when rescue workers heard tapping on the drill.

3. The miners attached a note (above) to a rescue drill on Aug 22 telling the world all 33 of them were alive and well. It read: “The 33 of us in the shelter are well.”

4. It’s estimated that the rescue operation will take between three and four months. The operation involves drilling a 2.5 feet wide hole to extract the miners.

5. The 33 men are trapped in a mine shaft shelter that the size of a small one-bed roomed flat. When discovered they had little food and were surviving on ‘two little spoonfuls of tuna, a sip of milk and a biscuit every 48 hours’.

6. Since being discovered the miners have been sending messages up ton their loved ones. The oldest miner, 63-year-old Mario Gomez, told his wife that he was confident all 33 men would survive. “Dear Liliana, I'm well, thank God. I hope to get out soon. Have patience and faith,” it read. “I haven't stopped thinking about all of you for a single moment.”

7. Rescuers plan to send plastic tubes called "doves" to the miners containing food, hydration gels and liquid nutrients and medicine.

8. A microphone has been lowered down a borehole. When it arrived the miners burst into song, delivering a rousing rendition of their national anthem.

9. Chilean health officials have asked NASA for help on how the miners can remain sane and healthy while trapped underground awaiting rescue.

10. 54-year-old Luis Urzúa has become the leader of 33 men and it’s hoped that his experience as a football coach will help him lead and motivate his fellow miners.

Daily Mirror

Now the question is keeping those miners sane until rescuers actually can reach them....

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 3:59 pm

jojobean wrote:
that is really sad. I hope they dont resort to canabalism due to being cooped up with the same people for 4 months

Food and water is being sent down to them. There is no need for canabaism. On the other hand if some of the miners become unhinged by being cooped up with thirty some odd folks, there could be violence. I hope not.

ruveyn

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 11:54 pm

not to be insensitive (what's the name of this website?) but can you imagine the number of psychologists that are going to descend on these guys? has there ever been an experiment like this before?

i hope that along with trying to keep these guys healthy physically and mentally, keep them from wanting to kill each other.....the gov't and psys could offer these men money to participate in exams to measure what this sort of 'lack' does to them: mental sharpness and physical changes. this could be a way to make this awful experience more acceptable to each of them. the offer of money may make it seem more like a 'job' than a terrible turn of fate.

i'm sure i would have ripped the skin off my body by now.

let's hope they can last and all will come out alive.

DrHouseHasAspergers
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2010, 4:34 pm

69 days after collapse, Chilean miners are being rescued. So far 25 miners are out and the 26th is waiting to be taken up in the capsule. Medical personnel went down into the mine to check on the miners and finalize the order of rescue. The youngest miner, Jimmy Sanchez-aged 19 years, was the only one close to a mental breakdown. He was the 5th miner out, I think. The most physically and mentally stable went first in case of problems with the rescue-they'd be able to handle it better if something went wrong. No problems happened with the rescues and the rest of the miners are waiting for their turns in the capsule. The miners are in good shape after being trapped for over two months.

Chip2001
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Oct 2010, 5:48 pm

Yes, i heard about their rescuing. Very good

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 6:03 pm

I give a round of applause to the following people:

The Chilean government, who put their all into rescuing these miners and getting them reunited with family

The miners themselves, for banding together in a time of crisis

The American government and corporations who donated equipment or personnel to the rescue effort;

The miner's families, for not giving up hope until the last.

Everyone who hoped and prayed, even in the slightest, that these men would make it out alive.

There are very few examples in history that show the good side of humanity. This is one of those examples.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 6:21 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:

The Chilean government, who put their all into rescuing these miners and getting them reunited with family

The American government and corporations who donated equipment or personnel to the rescue effort;

Everyone who hoped and prayed, even in the slightest, that these men would make it out alive.

There are very few examples in history that show the good side of humanity. This is one of those examples.

I agree! For once, everybody worked together, did the right thing and behaved beautifully. That is so damned rare.

Of course, by end of day tomorrow, all the miners will be extracted safely. Then the blame game and finger pointing will begin. Nothing good lasts forever.

ruveyn

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 6:47 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Roxas_XIII wrote:

I agree! For once, everybody worked together, did the right thing and behaved beautifully. That is so damned rare.

Of course, by end of day tomorrow, all the miners will be extracted safely. Then the blame game and finger pointing will begin. Nothing good lasts forever.

ruveyn

LOL that's true. I'm glad to see though that the rescue is taking place in half the time than was originally expected.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 8:28 pm

I have been listening to a Talk radio listen to KFI 640AM they have covered the rescue of the miners.