Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 6:52 pm

Actor Ernest Borgnine has passed away at age 95. Living proof that a top rate actor can fly high on talent, even without movie star looks.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 8:36 pm

[Heh! I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 to write this. I booted it from a flash drive because the bios won't recognize my SSD. Waahh!]

I was a great fan of Ernest Borgnine. I wrote the "skeleton" of a movie a couple of years ago called Ernest. It's a Disney-type animation. It's about a lonely boy who finds a hyena that had become an orphan after a bunch of hyenas from a game farm got killed when their transport truck overturned on a highway. In typical Disney fashion, the hyena does some nice things but still gets ostracized for the way it looks (and for what it is). It does save the boy but then dies from trying. Just as everyone thinks its final light has gone out, Ernest comes back to life and everyone is happy. Now they accept it. Pure Disney stuff inspired by Ernest Borgnine.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 10:36 pm

he had some good strong genes.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 12:07 am

I think the "Airwolf" television series is the best thing he ever did. It was my favorite show in the mid-1980s.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 1:12 am

I personally liked him a lot in The Wild Bunch, where he starred with William Holden as over the hill desperadoes trying to live as they once had, despite the fact that the twentieth century had already dawned.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 1:26 am

he seemed like a stand-up man and a good decent chap, especially for hollywood. he joins the pantheon of hollywood gods now up in the great soundstage in the sky.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 8:09 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Actor Ernest Borgnine has passed away at age 95. Living proof that a top rate actor can fly high on talent, even without movie star looks.

He was the very anti-thesis of a Hollywood Leading Man (and pretty boy). He got where he got on acting talent, not looks.

ruveyn

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 2:01 am

I liked him in The Posideon Adventure.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 2:03 am

he was good at playing bullies. but he had quite a wide range. he seemed to be a very decent man. he used to like to drive a motor home across the country, just to meet regular people and chat. i value that aspect of him very highly. he also spent 10 years in the navy. but for a twist of fate, after the war he might've been an air conditioning repairman but for a suggestion that he consider acting.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 2:26 am

auntblabby wrote:
he was good at playing bullies. but he had quite a wide range. he seemed to be a very decent man. he used to like to drive a motor home across the country, just to meet regular people and chat. i value that aspect of him very highly. he also spent 10 years in the navy. but for a twist of fate, after the war he might've been an air conditioning repairman but for a suggestion that he consider acting.

Thank God for life altering suggestions!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 2:31 am

there is a fairly entertaining story he liked to tell, of when he was being auditioned for the role of sadistic jail warden sgt. fatso judson in "from here to eternity" - and he would appear for the audition and be told by the producers, five times in a row, to come back with a military haircut, when in fact he had gone to the barber five times in a row to get successive shorter haircuts until the "high and tight" 'do he ended up with met with their approval. come contract-signing time, he stipulated that included in his salary was an extra payment for those 5 haircuts he had to get.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 2:34 am

He did Love Boat once too, I think.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 2:53 am

auntblabby wrote:
there is a fairly entertaining story he liked to tell, of when he was being auditioned for the role of sadistic jail warden sgt. fatso judson in "from here to eternity" - and he would appear for the audition and be told by the producers, five times in a row, to come back with a military haircut, when in fact he had gone to the barber five times in a row to get successive shorter haircuts until the "high and tight" 'do he ended up with met with their approval. come contract-signing time, he stipulated that included in his salary was an extra payment for those 5 haircuts he had to get.

:lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 3:12 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
He did Love Boat once too, I think.

he had an excellent work ethic for a hollywood type, he was up for any work, it was all good to him.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 2:53 pm

I will miss how he was game for any role that came his way. He just loved to work. I remember when I was little in the ninties he appeared in an episode of Home Improvement. I wondered who he was. then as I got older and I learned to love movies I discovered dear Ernest. :salut:

Oldout
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 10:34 am

A person who deserves to be remembered dearly.