Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 May 2014, 2:12 pm

Until recently, we were all enjoying some peace in Northern Ireland, but there has been a re-emergence of disorder on the streets of Belfast, and the occasional sectarian murder has also taken place.

Today, the leader of Sinn Fein who, along with his brother-in-arms Martin McGuinness, has taken his place in the established government of Greater Ireland, was arrested in connection with one of the more unsavoury sectarian murders of 1972.

Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness always used to appear to me to be the chillingly cold-hearted leaders of the most murderous violent gang in recent western history. Today, they appear to have resumed their earlier media persona.

I believe that the Irish Nationalist cause is traditionally funded by donations from North America, and by bank robberies. The evidence which led to Gerry Adams' arrest appears to have come from a Boston College oral history project.

Only a few weeks ago, there was serious talk of an amnesty for all sides, so that there would be no more investigation of historic sectarian violence.

I am extremely confused about why the Police Service of Northern Ireland would have chosen this moment to arrest Gerry Adams.

dexopodia
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 May 2014, 3:53 pm

I... seriously I'm Irish but I'm not really all that interested in that sort of crap,
But Gerry adams is the leader if a fairly large political party, there's no way this could end well.
I in no way support his actions but the fact that he was arrested by the PSNI is going to lead to an increase in hostilities.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 4:02 pm

MrGrumpy wrote:
Until recently, we were all enjoying some peace in Northern Ireland, but there has been a re-emergence of disorder on the streets of Belfast, and the occasional sectarian murder has also taken place.

If you go to Northern Ireland, you'll know that there's never been true peace there. Sure, there's been a cessation of most of the terrorist activity but violent elements have caused problems there for years. This is absolutely nothing new.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 3:46 am

Does not Jean Mc Conville's story deserve to be told?

Does she not deserve an investigation, even?

She was a human being, grabbed in her own house, pulled away from her children as they all screamed and begged.

The truth should finally be known.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 4:18 am

Peace is a fragile thing. Justice over wartime atrocities should come secondary to maintaining the peace.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 6:43 am

Jean McConville was not in a war.

She was in her home, bathing her kids and putting them to bed, and four masked men broke in the doors and windows, abducted her, and she was shot.

And buried in a place they thought she would never be found.

She did not deserve that.

Her kids were separated, raised apart, and most have had behavioral, emotional, and drug problems.

One son, as an adult, went to the police and managed to get the records of the investigation.

There had been no investigation.

She was just a young widow, four feet nine inches tall, uneducated, helpless, no threat to anyone, uninvolved in any of the politics or violence, just trying to raise her kids.

How could anyone not want her murderers to answer?

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 May 2014, 3:04 pm

"She was just a young widow, four feet nine inches tall, uneducated, helpless, no threat to anyone, uninvolved in any of the politics or violence, just trying to raise her kids"

And Gerry Adams has walked free

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 6:48 pm

A member at my church was saying how his daughter while visiting Nortehrn Ireland could feel the tension and hate in the air, and was more than happy when she left.