18 Frat members charged in Penn student's death

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 5:24 pm

18 fraternity brothers charged in Penn State student's death
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-penn-state-frat-death-20170505-story.html

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 6:47 pm

We have this type of culture in elite boys schools and older universities in Australia. I believe it's culturally inherited from British boarding schools and elite universities where it's referred to as "ragging" new boys. Among the social elite young men are expected to undergo a "rite of passage" to manhood which I understand was passed down from ancient times. From an anthropological perspective it's similar to tribes initiating teenage boys into manhood.

I don't pretend to have inside information on what these rites entailed but this is the basis of this tradition you are seeing manifest in American colleges. Of course it's relevance is long outdated but unfortunately banning fraternities will drive the frat culture underground

Prosecuting these boys should at least send a message to other "spoilt brats" abusing their social privilege

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 7:34 pm

I don't get why college frats are even a thing anymore, frat culture is just one of the most disgusting things. Anything goes, pressure new students to drink dangerous amounts of alcohol and participate in much of the time degrading 'challenges' to be welcomed into the group and encouraging things like taking advantage impaired females, like that piece of sh*t 'student' who got a slap on the wrist instead of a lengthy sentence for raping a girl on campus while she was passed out. I am sure his frat bros would have done anything from encourage it to simply not intervene...but putting a stop to it probably wouldn't have been an agenda had they been about witnessing it.

I mean tell me something good about frats and maybe I'd change my mind, but I would not be sad if colleges banned frats.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 10:03 pm

I hope those a$$holes get sent up the river, and have their futures ruined forever. Still, a small price to pay, as the young man in question has no more future.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 12:48 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
encouraging things like taking advantage impaired females, like that piece of sh*t 'student' who got a slap on the wrist instead of a lengthy sentence for raping a girl on campus while she was passed out. I am sure his frat bros would have done anything from encourage it to simply not intervene...

The piece of sh*t student had wealthy parents and connections that allowed him to get off
A little like the affluenza teen who killed four people when drink driving but was let off and recently here in Australia a wealthy nightclub owners son who even admitted to rape
http://www.news.com.au/national/courts- ... f21abded44
But was let off because the judge claimed the girl should have fought back?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 2:42 am

cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
encouraging things like taking advantage impaired females, like that piece of sh*t 'student' who got a slap on the wrist instead of a lengthy sentence for raping a girl on campus while she was passed out. I am sure his frat bros would have done anything from encourage it to simply not intervene...

The piece of sh*t student had wealthy parents and connections that allowed him to get off
A little like the affluenza teen who killed four people when drink driving but was let off and recently here in Australia a wealthy nightclub owners son who even admitted to rape

That rapist, and the judge, should have to submit to rape.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 6:16 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

If you can pay for a good lawyer then you can get away with murder (as is apparent)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 6:18 am

During the retrial, Judge Tupman recognised the woman did not consent, but also accepted Mr Lazarus’s “genuine and honest belief” that the 18-year-old virgin was a willing participant.
Mr Lazarus spent 11 months in jail before his conviction for anally raping an 18-year-old woman in an alleyway near Soho nightclub in May 2013 was quashed.
The woman’s anguished post came just as the Daily Mail reported on a huge celebration held for Luke at the family’s $8 million Eastern suburbs home on Thursday night in the wake of his acquittal.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 1:12 pm

There is an element of accepting and rewarding nasty stuff and old boys club mentality at that school.
Penn State clings hard to Joe Paterno legacy with new trustee

Quote:
A son of former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno and staunch defender of his father’s legacy has been elected to the university’s board of trustees.

Jay Paterno received the most votes in the alumni elections for trustee.

University trustees later said one of the reasons they removed Paterno was his handling of the 2001 complaint by another assistant coach who saw Sandusky apparently molesting a boy in a team shower.

Paterno passed the information along to the president at the time, Graham Spanier, and two other high-level administrators, but no one ever reported the incident to police or child welfare authorities. All three former administrators were convicted this year of child endangerment for their handling of the shower complaint.

Joe Paterno was never charged with a crime, but a school-commissioned review of the Sandusky scandal concluded he and the other administrators hushed up the shower incident out of concern for bad publicity.

Sandusky would go on to continue abusing boys until his 2011 arrest. He’s now serving a sentence of 30 to 60 years for sexually abusing 10 boys. He’s appealing the conviction and maintains his innocence.

Jay Paterno has been a fierce defender of his father.

it is just coincidence that I started a thread about clueless autism researchers at Penn State but it does speak to a certain attitude.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 2:45 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

If you can pay for a good lawyer then you can get away with murder (as is apparent)

Celebrity status can help, too.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 7:18 am

Why have academic studies and binge drinking become linked? I don't get the connection.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 11:19 am

androbot01 wrote:
Why have academic studies and binge drinking become linked? I don't get the connection.

It has more to do with freedom from parental restraint, often for the first time.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 11:45 am

cyberdad wrote:
During the retrial, Judge Tupman recognised the woman did not consent, but also accepted Mr Lazarus’s “genuine and honest belief” that the 18-year-old virgin was a willing participant.
Mr Lazarus spent 11 months in jail before his conviction for anally raping an 18-year-old woman in an alleyway near Soho nightclub in May 2013 was quashed.
The woman’s anguished post came just as the Daily Mail reported on a huge celebration held for Luke at the family’s $8 million Eastern suburbs home on Thursday night in the wake of his acquittal.

But see that is what I mean why would anyone ever think a passed out girl in an alleyway can consent to sex, I mean the guy wasn't ret*d I don't buy he had no clue that he was crossing a line by doing that. I could see being mislead to some extent but he had to know on some level it was wrong or if not, maybe he needs to be in a mental institution. Either way he should have gotten far more than the joke of a sentence he did get.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 11:56 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

It has more to do with freedom from parental restraint, often for the first time.

This is probably a bit less of an issue in places with lower drinking ages, its not a big deal to get drunk or something you either sneak to do as a kid or be 'responsible' and wait till you're 21 and then drink a crap load because yay, no parents or anyone telling you not to so people go overboard. The current laws on that just make it an exciting thing to 'finally' be able to do and I think that contributes to overdosing or injuring yourself or others trying to drive or do other dangerous things while drunk. I wonder what the statistics of alcohol deaths of people between ages 16-22 look like in countries with a drinking age around 16 in comparison to the U.S.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 7:32 pm

Sounds like frat houses should have adult supervision. It would be ironic if one or more of the 18 was studying to become a doctor.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 10:32 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

But see that is what I mean why would anyone ever think a passed out girl in an alleyway can consent to sex, I mean the guy wasn't ret*d I don't buy he had no clue that he was crossing a line by doing that. I could see being mislead to some extent but he had to know on some level it was wrong or if not, maybe he needs to be in a mental institution. Either way he should have gotten far more than the joke of a sentence he did get.

What's relevant here is that the father is loaded to the hilt and able to afford the best lawyers who successfully got their son released early. What is not disputed is that Luke Lazarus did rape the girl with malicious intent - the details indicate a sociopath with dangerous views on young girls. That the family celebrated his release in a such a big way was largely designed to smear the young girls reputation. The girl was reportedly naive with no experience with men is reported to be severely traumatized.