mitochondrial DNA autism link - Study

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 11:51 pm

Research shows genetic link between mitochondrial DNA and autism

Journal Article

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 2:50 am

I've been interested in mitochondria lately. It's an organelle, a cell within a cell, of all your cells except your red blood cells. It has its own DNA separate from your nuclear, that is main, DNA, which when you get your DNA tested is labelled as mtDNA or chromosome M, even though it's not really a chromosome, and its DNA is circular like it is in bacteria. Everyone has their own mtDNA, and because mitochondria reproduce asexually they are great for looking at lineages over long periods of time; they are used to track maternal lineages in various populations, including humans. When they create a phylogenetic tree (basically evolutionary "family" tree) for mitochondria, they find it's closely related to the bacterial genus Rickettsia, a parasitic invader of cells that can't survive for very long outside a cell and that causes in humans a disease called typhus, which starts with flu-like symptoms and a rash over much of the body while infecting the brain. Maybe mitochondria were originally bacterial parasitic invaders that ended up entering into a mutually beneficial relationship with their hosts, as advanced by Lynn Margulis: mitochondria help your cells use energy and are major contributors to your metabolism.

There are mitochondrial disorders, which is where a mutation in your mtDNA in some or all of your cells causes problems for cell metabolism, and this mutation can hit only certain organs. I've read before this article that mitochondrial disorders can cause autism spectrum disorder. Mitochondria would be interesting to look at.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2016, 3:48 am

I thought this was interesting:

http://www.mitoaction.org/files/Autism-OXPHOS_1.pdf

It says that if a child has early motor issues, or other symptoms associated with mitochondrial disease like GI issues or easy fatigue, AND autism symptoms, then they should get tested for mitochondrial disease.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2016, 10:39 am

In general, genetic markers have been allocated an alphanumeric label, somewhat like those Dewey decimals, on the old library cards.

Anyone might enter these, into a database, to see whether they carry whichever trait or condition, in a matter of seconds.

These findings are being kept, somewhat, as protected, intellectual property, or else, anyone who had ever been genetically screened, might just as soon key the numbers, into a search engine.

This is like Elysium.

I find that corporate-level research is kept behind a paywall, as though you are purchasing an expensive book. It is not held in the commons, as in a free marketplace of ideas.

But, colleges used to be viewed as a public utility, in an uncivilized wilderness, possibly, along the lines of the public library.

As I generate my own research, I consider how it may help people, while I still get credit for it.