Superintendent Says Students Are Armed with Rocks

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2018, 11:32 am

http://wnep.com/2018/03/22/superintendent-says-students-are-armed-with-rocks-in-case-of-a-school-shooting/

Quote:
There’s a rocky controversy when it comes to school safety in Schuylkill County.

The superintendent of the Blue Mountain School District is in the spotlight after telling lawmakers in Harrisburg his students protect themselves against potential school shooters with rocks.

“Every classroom has been equipped with a five-gallon bucket of river stone. If an armed intruder attempts to gain entrance into any of our classrooms, they will face a classroom full students armed with rocks and they will be stoned,” said Dr. David Helsel.

That was Dr. Helsel testifying to the House Education Committee last week in Harrisburg.

The superintendent of the Blue Mountain School District was explaining his unconventional form of protecting the students in their schools in the event of an active shooter situation: give them rocks.

“At one time I just had the idea of river stone, they`re the right size for hands, you can throw them very hard and they will create or cause pain, which can distract,” said Helsel.

Helsel says teachers, staff and students were given active shooter training through a program known as ALICE which stands for Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate and they routinely hold evacuation drills for active shooter simulations.

But if a teacher decides to lockdown a classroom, there are rocks in a five-gallon bucket kept in every classroom closet that students could throw if shooters get inside.

Still, Helsel says the rocks are seen as a last resort.

“We have devices installed in our doors that help to secure them, to make it very difficult to break through,” said Helsel. “We also have, we train kids and talk about barricading the doors.”

A teenager who is a senior a Blue Mountain High School and says he and other students like that plan.

“It matters because it will help protect the schools, anything helps, rocks are better than books and pencils.”

Parents do as well.

“At this point, we have to get creative, we have to protect our kids first and foremost, throwing rocks, it's an option,” said Dori Bornstein.

But not everyone thinks this is a practical line of defense.

“I think that's rather comical,” said one college student in Schuylkill Haven.

“It's absurd, arm the teachers,” said a parent in Schuylkill Haven.

Helsel says the district has no plans to arm teachers, however, Blue Mountain does have a maintenance employee who is trained and certified to work as school security and is armed.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2018, 8:05 pm

Well, here's the way I look at it..... I don't think it's comical or absurd. I think there's a chance that..... Let's say the teacher locks-down the classroom, and they all go into the closet, and each grabs a rock..... Then the gunman comes..... If they all throw rocks, the moment the door's opened, they just might stun him, into leaving----I mean, afterall, lots of cops'll tell ya, one of the best weapons, is the element of surprise.

The other reason that I think it's a good idea, is because it'll help the kids to not feel so helpless----that they've actually got a plan to help themselves, if, God forbid, they should be met with this terrible scenario. Everybody, I think, would like to think they could fend-off someone----and besides, what does it hurt? Who knows, it might just work----and I certainly feel it's worth a try.

'Course, I realize there's another, very unpleasant outcome, with the throwing rocks thing, but here's the thing..... If the guy wants to shoot, he's gonna shoot----and, like I said, I think the kids will like knowing they did what they could, to stop it.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2018, 9:19 pm

What does it hurt? Well, it’d hurt the target of the stoning, who might not be a shooter. It must be a formidable resource to exert peer pressure. It must really, really, really suck to be an unpopular, socially awkward nerd there, if you survive at all, which I’m guessing you don’t for long.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 1:23 pm

When confronted by an attacker firing 45 rounds a minute at you with a semiautomatic assault weapon with multiple 30-round magazines and a muzzle velocity of 32000 fps and a maximum effective range of 550 meters...throw rocks at them.

Am I the only one who sees just how f*****g insane that is? Just how irredeemably f****d up does a society have to be to pull that out of it's ass, and suggest buckets of rocks as a logical solution to recurrent mass murder with a straight face? That's every bit as ludicrously farcical as "duck & cover drills" in the 1950's.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 1:45 pm

Interestingly, totally unrelated, I saw these two yesterday:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldn ... ldren.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... bbers.html

Criminals getting stoned to death by schoolchildren in South Africa.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 1:54 pm

The kids should be armed with swords instead.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/