Fake Coronovirus Cures vs. the "Darwin Award".

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 11:16 am

Man Dies After Ingesting Fish Tank Cleaner

PHOENIX, Arizona -- A man died after ingesting a substance used to clean fish tanks that contains chloroquine, a drug that President Donald Trump has claimed repeatedly could be a "game changer" in the fight against the novel coronavirus.  The man's wife is also in critical condition.  Within thirty minutes of ingestion, the couple experienced immediate effects requiring admittance to a nearby hospital...

Thanks a f****ing lot, Mr. President!

"NEXT!"

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 11:28 am

I was going to vote for him. But after Trump telling people to ingest fish tank cleaner, no way. Furthermore Trump should be impeached for manslaughter. That could have been me. Even though I have seen talk about chloroquine allover the internet, including here, that's beside the point.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 11:50 am

Indeed, advice of internet randos you expect to contain garbled half-truths and misinformation...

Not leading politicians speaking in matters of public health during an epidemic.

Or at least you expect them to be knowingly disinforming the public in a manner conducive to the common weal.
(eg, telling the people they can help the situation by doing simple things that won’t actually help, but won’t harm either and will give them the calming delusion of being in control)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 11:59 am

And of course it is known for a fact the guy ate fish tank cleaner right after he heard Trump saying "it could be" "it might work" and "we don't know".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 12:02 pm

At Least 44 Dead From Drinking Toxic Alcohol as a Fake "Cure" for Coronavirus.

Iranian media reports that at least 44 people have died from alcohol poisoning and hundreds have been hospitalized after consuming bootleg alcohol in a vain effort to treat the coronavirus.  A false rumor had circulated throughout the country that drinking alcohol can cure or prevent the coronavirus.  Drinking alcohol is prohibited in the country.  Some citizens drank alcohol that substituted toxic methanol for ethanol, using bleach to mask the color.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 1:25 pm

Jeeze…

In a world in which parents give their children "bleach enemas" to cure the child's autism you could probably find folks who buy into anything to stave off the Coronavirus.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 1:44 pm

If Corona doesn’t kill them stupidity will.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 2:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
PHOENIX, Arizona -- A man died after ingesting a substance used to clean fish tanks that contains chloroquine, a drug that President Donald Trump has claimed repeatedly could be a "game changer" in the fight against the novel coronavirus.  The man's wife is also in critical condition.  Within thirty minutes of ingestion, the couple experienced immediate effects requiring admittance to a nearby hospital...

According to Wikipedia: Chloroquine was discovered in 1934 by Hans Andersag. It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the medicines needed in a health system that are considered to be the safest and most effective. It is available as a generic medication which cost in the developing world about 4 cents per dose.

Chloroquine is a medication used to prevent and to treat malaria. It is also used to combat autoimmune disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus erythematosus.

If this medications is so EVIL wouldn't you think they might have taken it off the market say 80 years ago?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 2:08 pm

/\It’s formulated differently for aquarium use.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 2:13 pm

Fnord wrote:

"NEXT!"

Trump is telling people to ingest fish tank cleaner? Wow!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 3:01 pm

kokopelli wrote:
Fnord wrote:

"NEXT!"

Trump is telling people to ingest fish tank cleaner? Wow!

Actually not quite, he was talking about the drug chloroquine as a potential treatment, apparently it is also used in fish tank cleaner. The couple ingested the fish tank cleaner because it has chloroquine as an ingredient, of course not formulated the same as the drug.

Granted the drug has not been approved to treat coronavirus, so not sure what he was on about exactly...either way maybe he isn't someone who should give medical advice.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 4:24 pm

In all fairness you cant really blame Trump for the deaths of these two.

I learned in sixth grade that one of the reasons eating fish is good for you is that seafood contains trace amounts of iodine, that prevents goiter.

But learning that in school didn't inspire my 12 year old self to go to the medicine cabinet, and grab that bottle of iodine, and just drink it like it's a soda. So surely a pair grown ups should be able to figure out that putting aquarium cleaner in your mouth is probably not a good idea- even if the POTUS mentions an ingredient in his desperate bid to put a happy face on the crises by listing "promising drugs".

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 1:38 am

People do all kinds of crazy things during global panic attacks.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 2:02 am

Thoughts on after sleep and having read Ezra’s post immediately below my earlier one:

• It is true that there is no link between Mr Trump’s response to being questioned about the substance in question and this specific event. So holding him personally culpable in this instance is unfair.

• However, he should have some kind of memorised script along the lines of “until and unless I notify the public that a cure has been affirmed by the CDC and FDA I would advise them to approach all claims of a cure they come across with caution and scepticism.”

• The fact he does not could be construed as reflecting badly on his aides: all negative things that have and can be said as to his character and intellect taken into account they’ve had four years to work out how to manage him and help him do his job effectively.

• One could argue he is being let down by his staff, and feel a degree of sympathy for a man in a very difficult job he is most likely not enjoying: without relinquishing grave misgivings about his fitness for the job in the process.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 4:33 am

I hear that jumping off a thousand foot cilff will keep you from getting the virus.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 4:35 am

^ One should make sure there’s a noose round ones neck first: can’t be too careful.