‘boneless Chicken wings’can have bones,Ohio Supreme Court

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2024, 7:52 am

Chicken wings advertised as ‘boneless’ can have bones, Ohio Supreme Court decides

Consumers cannot expect boneless chicken wings to actually be free of bones, a divided Ohio Supreme Court ruled Thursday, rejecting claims by a restaurant patron who suffered serious medical complications from getting a bone stuck in his throat.

Michael Berkheimer was dining with his wife and friends at a wing joint in Hamilton, Ohio, and had ordered the usual — boneless wings with parmesan garlic sauce — when he felt a bite-size piece of meat go down the wrong way. Three days later, feverish and unable to keep food down, Berkeimer went to the emergency room, where a doctor discovered a long, thin bone that had torn his esophagus and caused an infection.

Berkheimer sued the restaurant, Wings on Brookwood, saying the restaurant failed to warn him that so-called “boneless wings” — which are, of course, nuggets of boneless, skinless breast meat — could contain bones. The suit also named the supplier and the farm that produced the chicken, claiming all were negligent.

In a 4-3 ruling, the Supreme Court said Thursday that “boneless wings” refers to a cooking style, and that Berkheimer should’ve been on guard against bones since it’s common knowledge that chickens have bones. The high court sided with lower courts that had dismissed Berkheimer’s suit.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2024, 9:40 am

So...its 'buyer beware of bones" now.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2024, 2:01 pm

This is why people hate lawyers. Until they need one, anyway.

I once learned that many of Canada's prime ministers were originally lawyers. Makes sense, actually. Both occupations involve lying your face off and trying to make people who are vile monstrous scumbags look like complete angels. Or people who are victims of such scumbags, or in this case someone who was badly injured because of carelessness, greed and stupidity, look like the scumbags.

The whole world runs on greed, lies, and general psychotic behavior and I hate it. :x

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2024, 2:36 pm

Yes, meat products made from mechanically separated meat sometimes contains bones.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2024, 6:21 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Yes, meat products made from mechanically separated meat sometimes contains bones.

Don't even start with hot dogs.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2024, 6:26 pm

But "Buffalo wings" are ALWAYS harvested from actual bison!

Guaranteed!