Biden drops out of presidential race

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2024, 1:11 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/joe-biden-drops-out-of-2024-race-exit-comes-amid-growing-pressure-from-top-dems/ar-BB1qmZzl?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2024, 1:32 pm

Good, hopefully now the Dems will pick someone who can get stuck into Trump.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2024, 1:33 pm

They shouldn't have put all their eggs into one political candidate basket because now they have nobody. Will they be able to get a candidate that can capture the hearts and minds of the American people within the amount of time left before it's time to vote?

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2024, 1:55 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
They shouldn't have put all their eggs into one political candidate basket because now they have nobody. Will they be able to get a candidate that can capture the hearts and minds of the American people within the amount of time left before it's time to vote?

Its normal to put "all your eggs in one basket" if the basket is the incumbent and the incumbent has only served one term. Its weird NOT to do that.

The last one term incumbent to withdraw from running was LBJ back in 1968. His VP, Hubert Humphrey, became the nominee at the Dem convention. And ran against Nixon (and lost).

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2024, 1:58 pm

Well Trump has had a lock on this election for at least the last year, however now we won't have to deal with him talking about what an evil person Biden is. I do hope he isn't planning to have Biden imprisoned, though.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2024, 2:32 pm

It has been crazy since 2015 when Trump first came down that escalator but the last few weeks have been right up there. Mind numbing.

With this degree of cognitive decline he should not be President at all. If he stays the next few months are still going to be all about his senior moments. Thing is I do not believe Harris is ready to be President. Biden threw her blind into the s**t job of dealing with the border. She met with a few leaders. Nothing close to the resume of Dick Cheney and Hillary.

It will be messy but I think due to the identity politics of the Democratic Party they will nominate her. Maybe if Michelle Obama jumps in they will nominate her, Maybe.

Assuming Harris is the nominee she is just not going to have nearly the amount of time needed to prepare. In 2020 she did not win one delegate. She had that great first debate where she called out Biden for opposing busing(“That little girl was me”) and then nada. As obvious, she is going to get s**t thrown at her at a level way above what she has ever experienced. No matter how much you gird yourself you can’t really prepare. If you want to be optimistic one never knows how people will react. There are occasional surprises.

What frightens me is that our dysfunction makes a major war we are not ready for much more likely. The obvious reason is our enemies will conclude this is the best time to attack us. Another reason is that we are going to feel the need to prove ourselves.

Off Topic
I have found the way people have talked about and mocked Biden’s cognitive decline disheartening. Most people have family members or friends this happens to. I am going to turn 67 in two months and I do dread what a combination of autism and dementia if I get it will be like. Not only his cognitive decline but his typical for his age physical disabilities.. What 80 year old does not walk gingerly and fall on occasion? We did have a paralyzed President run and help win a World War.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2024, 2:58 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

The last one term incumbent to withdraw from running was LBJ back in 1968. His VP, Hubert Humphrey, became the nominee at the Dem convention. And ran against Nixon (and lost).

If RFK was not assassinated he probably would have been the nominee as his Californian Primary win that night seemed to clinch it. And I think he would have beaten Nixon also. It was 1968 so I can’t say the Democratic Convention would not have been a mess but I don’t think as much. RFK was a candidate both the anti war and establishment wings would have gotten behind. Humphrey the “Happy Warrior” had a certain appeal but he could not match RFK’s charisma.

Nixon won the electoral collage 301 to 191 to 46(Wallace) and the popular vote by 0.7 percent. Pretty close election.

Trump is an incumbent adjacent and somebody not named Pence is the nominee(LOL).

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Harmonie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2024, 3:28 pm

I just hope the party knows what it is doing and will ensure that the new nominee gets funded and all of the promotion that they need, and that the new candidate demolishes Trump in November.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2024, 3:34 pm

I wonder how long until birther nonsense starts to be spread about Kamala Harris.

Oh wait, it already has.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2024, 4:18 pm

I wasn't serious about Trump throwing Biden into prison, but I wonder if certain groups, if deprived of legitimate outlets for expressing themselves, will turn to violence, which of course will lead to some sort of crackdown. Domestic terrorism, like 1970s Germany could be a possibility. It's my understanding that Trump has promised the petroleum industry that he'll eliminate all current restrictions on where and how much they can drill. This could easily lead to ecoterrorism, with predictable consequences.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2024, 5:16 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I wonder how long until birther nonsense starts to be spread about Kamala Harris.

Oh wait, it already has.

Thankfully, it didn't have anywhere the life that racist conspiracy theory had involving Obama's birthplace. Just the same, I'm sure Trump will try to revive it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2024, 5:24 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Biden drops out of presidential race.
'Bout time.

Ms. Harris has a tough contest ahead of her, but at least there is now a "Not Trump" candidate worth my vote.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SendInTheClowns
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jul 2024, 5:40 pm

Harris IMO won't win the forthcoming election. She obviously has ability, though seems to lack connection with the public. If she stands then possibly the GenX (?50 million) may boost her vote. For various reasons, it seems Harris is the worst choice the Democrats could make at this juncture.

Trump despises democracy, yet his adherents seem blinded to his numerous bad features, intentions and history - as if they have been hypnotised. And perhaps they have been.

The USA is in great peril :|

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2024, 6:20 pm

SendInTheClowns wrote:
Harris IMO won't win the forthcoming election. She obviously has ability, though seems to lack connection with the public. If she stands then possibly the GenX (?50 million) may boost her vote. For various reasons, it seems Harris is the worst choice the Democrats could make at this juncture.

Trump despises democracy, yet his adherents seem blinded to his numerous bad features, intentions and history - as if they have been hypnotised. And perhaps they have been.

The USA is in great peril :|

I'm not going to count Kamala out yet. Some people wouldn't vote for Trump, but weren't enthused with Biden because of his age and apparent mental decline. These are the voters she can snag. I don't see her taking a lot of votes from Trump, as his supporters vote for him because he gives them permission to be bigoted and hateful, and so wouldn't vote for anyone else, as it is.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2024, 6:53 pm

SendInTheClowns wrote:

So who would, hypothetically, be a better choice? And please don't say Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2024, 7:03 pm

MaxE wrote:
SendInTheClowns wrote:

So who would, hypothetically, be a better choice? And please don't say Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren.

Literally anyone, unless they're also senile like Biden.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell