Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2024, 1:32 am

You are what we need, please become our president put rationality back in our government and kick out the religious s**t zealots that are ruining everything.

Uhh I think I spelled it wrong it's juust kamala, but I am having a s**t time trying to pronounce her name, which I hate cause I am not trying to be ignorant but of course I can sound like an ignorant goon if I cant say her name right. Either way I just really hope she beats trump and then finally the U.S can start regaining some respect back. Cause if we get trump we get fascism and a loss of all freedoms. Cause project 2025 people want to unwrite the constitution, not just amend it but unwrite it. And as an american I don't want to let that happen.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2024, 1:45 am

I actually prefer your spelling, K-h-amala
In sanskrit it means Lotus flower

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2024, 2:07 am

cyberdad wrote:

Yeah my boyfriend was pointing out even I say it wrong, and in my brain the way I can see it right is by putting the h so I remember it's said like khamala not camilla. And my sister is named camille so I can also be like no not camila like something someone could do with my sisters name, but khamala with an invisible H in it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2024, 2:42 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Yeah my boyfriend was pointing out even I say it wrong, and in my brain the way I can see it right is by putting the h so I remember it's said like khamala not camilla. And my sister is named camille so I can also be like no not camila like something someone could do with my sisters name, but khamala with an invisible H in it.

All good, I think a lot of Americans pronounce it Carmala

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2024, 4:02 am

cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

All good, I think a lot of Americans pronounce it Carmala

Idk regardless of how people say it, I just hope she beats the rump, donald trump. like please literally kick the rump out.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2024, 10:15 am

Khamala sounds like she's going to conquer DC with a horde of mounted archers.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2024, 11:32 am

This guy rhymes it with "Pamela".

https://youtu.be/0RbKStEFNT8

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2024, 11:38 am

I was listening to a podcast the other day where they were saying the first 'a' in Kamala isn't pronounced as an 'a' at all. Instead it's somewhere between an 'a' sound and an 'o' sound. Almost Komala, with the emphasis on the 'Ko' but not quite!

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2024, 11:57 am

I don't think that electing somebody that hasn't earned the nomination is going to garner us much respect outside the US. Especially when you look at her track record as AG of CA and the limited time she spent in the Senate.

The people deserve better, somebody that is capable of not laughing when talking about the folks they put in prison for something related to something they themselves have done.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2024, 12:04 pm

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
I don't think that electing somebody that hasn't earned the nomination is going to garner us much respect outside the US. Especially when you look at her track record as AG of CA and the limited time she spent in the Senate.

Yeah but the USA thought Trump would be a good president. And a decent proportion of them still think he should be allowed to try again.

So I don't know how much respect you think there is worldwide for US politics any more, but I doubt what's left will be damaged much by President Kamala's unearned nomination. Most people will never know or care.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2024, 12:26 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:

Yeah but the USA thought Trump would be a good president. And a decent proportion of them still think he should be allowed to try again.

So I don't know how much respect you think there is worldwide for US politics any more, but I doubt what's left will be damaged much by President Kamala's unearned nomination. Most people will never know or care.

I'm not sure how much of it was the country thinking he would be good and how much was anger at having HRC forced on us as the other option.

In this case, the nomination doesn't necessarily even need to hurt her, the lack of a real presence isn't going to help her voter turnout.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2024, 5:06 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
I was listening to a podcast the other day where they were saying the first 'a' in Kamala isn't pronounced as an 'a' at all. Instead it's somewhere between an 'a' sound and an 'o' sound. Almost Komala, with the emphasis on the 'Ko' but not quite!

Who said this? according to my wife it's Ka-(pause)-mala. She's of South Indian origin (Like Kamala and JD Vance's wife Usha) but I do acknowledge pronunciations might be different to Indians from the north, east or west of India. Perhaps the podcaster was from one of these other regions.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2024, 5:43 pm

Comma-la is how she's asked people to pronounce it, iirc.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2024, 5:45 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

If she's claiming it has an "o" sound she doesn't know how to pronounce her own name.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2024, 5:48 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

If she's claiming it has an "o" sound she doesn't know how to pronounce her own name.

Brave stance to take. :lol: :lol:

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2024, 5:52 pm

The correct way to pronounce a name is the way the individual wants it to be pronounced. Names often aren’t going to be pronounced exactly as they are in their country of origin. It doesn’t make the variation “incorrect.”