WHO declares mpox a global public health emergency

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2024, 2:09 pm

NBC News

Quote:
The World Health Organization on Wednesday declared mpox a global public health emergency for the second time in two years, following an outbreak of the viral infection in the Democratic Republic of Congo that has spread to neighboring countries in Africa.

Mpox, formerly known as monkeypox, can spread through close contact. Usually mild, it is fatal in rare cases. It causes flu-like symptoms and pus-filled lesions on the body.

Determining that a disease outbreak is a “public health emergency of international concern” or PHEIC — the WHO’s highest level of alert — can accelerate research, funding and international public health measures and co-operation to contain the disease.

The outbreak in Congo began with the spread of an endemic strain, known as clade I. But a new variant, clade Ib, appears to spread more easily through routine close contact, including sexual contact. It has spread from Congo to neighboring countries, including Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda, triggering the action from the WHO.

“It’s clear that a coordinated international response is essential to stop these outbreaks and save lives,” said WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

Earlier this week, Africa’s top public health body declared mpox an emergency after warning that the viral infection was spreading at an alarming rate.

More than 17,000 suspected mpox cases and 517 deaths have been reported on the African continent so far this year, a 160% increase compared to the same period last year, the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. A total of 13 countries have reported cases.

In the U.S., cases of clade IIb have declined considerably since their peak in 2022.

However, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention asked doctors last week to be on alert for mpox among people with characteristic symptoms who have recently been in the Democratic Republic of Congo or its bordering countries. The agency noted that no cases of clade I have been reported outside central and eastern Africa but warned about the risk of further transmission.

A vaccine for mpox is commercially available in the U.S., but not generally available in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2024, 4:21 pm

The virus formerly known as monkeypox.

Catchy !

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2024, 4:58 pm

It's a good thing I've been stocking up on toilet paper.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2024, 7:44 pm

Great . . . another global health crisis for Trumpsters to deny.

On the bright side, such a pandemic may "cull the herd" of all the people who refuse to take the vaccines and other necessary precautions -- Trumpsters, again.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2024, 9:25 am

Fnord wrote:
Great . . . another global health crisis for Trumpsters to deny.

On the bright side, such a pandemic may "cull the herd" of all the people who refuse to take the vaccines and other necessary precautions -- Trumpsters, again.

MAGA’s won’t deny it because it spreads through close physical contact and has been primarily found in gay and bisexual men.

The vaccine is only recommended for sexual active GBTQ men or people who have had sex with that type of person or with somebody who may have it.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

WolfStarEternal
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Aug 2024, 11:48 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
It's a good thing I've been stocking up on toilet paper.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I THINK THIS ONE THOUGH IS FOR PAPER TOWELS INSTEAD! LMAO HAHA :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2024, 9:03 pm

Time to buy another Germany face mask so that airheads will have a reason not to understand me with a fracking mask on.