Olympics Made a mockery of African American culture

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2024, 9:36 pm

the decision to include breakdancing in this year's Paris Olympics was seen as acknowledgement of this artform.

So imagine the surprise when the IOC decided to scrap Breakdancing from future Olympics.

While the IOC has remained "tight lipped" about the decision, one possible reason is the outcry from African Americans who claim the Olympics made a mockery of the art
In particular one performer did more to bring the artform into disrepute given she has a PhD in breakdancing
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olymp ... aster.html

But the other performers ranging from countries and backgrounds not linked with African or African/American culture from societies traditionally antithetical to black people (Japan, Indonesia and Scandanavian countries) wore outfits that had nothing to do with culture and dancing that also seem to denigrate the artform. Both professional breakdancers and black/latino people in California (where breakdancing was born) were incensed at the performers who won gold (Canadian-Korean Phillip Kim and Japanese girl Ami) appeared to be a) culturally appropriating black culture and b) performing at what many consider to be sub-par levels compared to those in the black/Latino community who were left wondering what the actual entry criteria was?

Any wonder this seemed to be a sham and the event will not see another Olympics. the IOC should be investigated.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2024, 9:49 pm

to put things in cultural perspective

Imagine an international Japanese Kimono competition where everyone participating in the competition was white or black, the referees were white and all the judges were white. Not sure how anyone else was embarrassed? the IOC eventually knew they they stuffed up.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2024, 3:51 am

"Cultural Appropriation" is considered an offensive action by some, and may be a valid complaint.

More likely, the Olympic Committee realized that they were judging a creative event without any Standard of Forms (e.g., a checklist), such as they have for floor routines, ice routines, and possibly other similar events.

How can they judge two or more completely different routines in an event that has no 'official' performance standards?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2024, 6:13 am

Breakdancing originated in the Bronx. :nerdy:

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2024, 6:20 am

Breakdancing, like Hip-Hop itself, originated in the South Bronx of New York. Not on the West Coast.

Though elements that get lumped under the umbrella term "breakdancing" like "the pop" and "electric bugaloo" may have originated on the west coast.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2024, 6:48 am

I don't think they did. I enjoyed the competition, especially the men's final when Canada won the gold.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2024, 8:05 am

I feel like the Daily Fail isn't exactly a credible source on this issue.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 3:26 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I feel like the Daily Fail isn't exactly a credible source on this issue.

Fair enough, how about this one?
https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2024 ... d%20States.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 3:32 am

I also like this article
https://www.salon.com/2024/08/13/breaki ... cs-raygun/

Breaking is different. Like the music and the rest of the culture, hip-hop’s original movement form was born in New York and created in the late ‘70s by poor Black and brown kids living in the Bronx, who established its main cultural currency to be skillfulness and respect.

Pop culture’s industries swiped music and fashion and left the dance form to Madison Avenue. Self-appointed mainstream ambassadors like Dena Rizzo, who was lampooned in a “Bob’s Burgers” episode, killed its mainstream popularity for good.

It would seem we saw self-appointed reps of a culture without consent. White judges judging white and east asian participants in an artform created by black/brown people