Why Are Dolphin Attacks Rising In Japan?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 3:51 pm

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-02783-x

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 4:02 pm

Maybe the dolphins have seen The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode where the dolphins leave the ocean and force the humans into the ocean. This was after Lisa saw a captive dolphin named Snorky being mistreated, and freed him a la Free Willy, but instead of being grateful Snorky decided to get revenge on all humans for making him do "tricks like a common seal".

In most other cartoons and movies dolphins are shown to be friendly and playful, but I've heard in real life they have a total dark side and are really the "bad guys", while the sharks are really the "good guys".

Or maybe it's just climate change. Or the nuclear disasters in Japan.

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 4:09 pm

"It's payback time"
"Hasta la vista...baby!"

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 4:28 pm

Maybe they've become fully aware of Japan chopping them up and selling their meat in tuna cans.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 4:54 pm

Prehaps they were fed up of other teams cheating?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 6:19 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
Maybe they've become fully aware of Japan chopping them up and selling their meat in tuna cans.

I'm pretty sure they sell it openly. There's no need to disguise it as tuna.

Anyways, I believe Japan knows how to handle these rogue porpoises.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 8:22 pm

Flipper-love in the West predates US TV and goes back as far as the Greeks, if not to the Minoans. Porposes swimming alongside your ship was considered a good luck sign by sailors as far back the ancient Greeks.

In contrast the Japanese have a long standing flipper hate. Texans have "rattlesnake roundups". The Japanese do the same thing to porposes...make events out of killing them in great numbers because they are viewed as competitors to human fishermen.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 9:33 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Flipper-love in the West predates US TV and goes back as far as the Greeks, if not to the Minoans. Porposes swimming alongside your ship was considered a good luck sign by sailors as far back the ancient Greeks.

In contrast the Japanese have a long standing flipper hate. Texans have "rattlesnake roundups". The Japanese do the same thing to porposes...make events out of killing them in great numbers because they are viewed as competitors to human fishermen.

Those pictures are from 'the west'. Faroe Islands to be specific. There's a lot of places that traditionally ate dolphins, Japan is one of them. Dolphin drive hunting is practiced in Peru, the Solomon Islands and the Faroe Islands, along with Japan.

I'm not sure it gets more western than Texas, but:

Quote:
Hunting dolphins (at the time still often incorrectly referred to as fish or porpoises), primarily using harpoons and firearms, was considered a form of recreational hunting along the shores of the Gulf of Mexico in Texas in the late 19th and early 20th century. Pleasure dolphin hunting cruises could be booked in Corpus Christi in the 1920s, with a promise to tourists that if no successful dolphin kill was made, the excursion would be free of charge. The brutality of the practice started to spark animal welfare concerns and there is no reference of this practice still occurring in Texas after the Second World War.

https://www.thedodo.com/how-america-wen ... 82958.html

I think you're missing the primary reason why people kill dolphins, not because they're competition but because they're food. Killing them as competition also occurs though, not trying to insist that it's never a motive.

Also, the binary of a 'flipper-loving' west and 'flipper-hating' Japan is just flat-out incorrect. Westerners have had no qualms about killing and/or eating dolphins until recently.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 9:38 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

it's not just the japanese
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58555694
https://us.whales.org/our-goals/stop-wh ... in-norway/

Blondies also like killing Shamu and Flipper

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 10:04 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

They see what people do to them so...kind of makes sense, dolphins and orca are intelligent mammals even if they do live in the water.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 10:42 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Those pictures are from 'the west'. Faroe Islands to be specific. There's a lot of places that traditionally ate dolphins, Japan is one of them. Dolphin drive hunting is practiced in Peru, the Solomon Islands and the Faroe Islands, along with Japan.

I'm not sure it gets more western than Texas, but:

Quote:
Hunting dolphins (at the time still often incorrectly referred to as fish or porpoises), primarily using harpoons and firearms, was considered a form of recreational hunting along the shores of the Gulf of Mexico in Texas in the late 19th and early 20th century. Pleasure dolphin hunting cruises could be booked in Corpus Christi in the 1920s, with a promise to tourists that if no successful dolphin kill was made, the excursion would be free of charge. The brutality of the practice started to spark animal welfare concerns and there is no reference of this practice still occurring in Texas after the Second World War.

https://www.thedodo.com/how-america-wen ... 82958.html

I think you're missing the primary reason why people kill dolphins, not because they're competition but because they're food. Killing them as competition also occurs though, not trying to insist that it's never a motive.

Also, the binary of a 'flipper-loving' west and 'flipper-hating' Japan is just flat-out incorrect. Westerners have had no qualms about killing and/or eating dolphins until recently.

Yes local cultures all over hunt them for food. But the Japanese get angry and sadistic about it. Rather not go into that.
On top of that there is a big gill breathing cold blooded fish also called "dolphin" (the size of porposes and mammalian "dolphins") that is still sold in American grocery stores. Just to make life confusing. The fish-dolphin is found in the Caribbean/tropical Atlantic and has green on its upper sides. So the dolphin in the jazz standard song "Green Dolphin Street" is probably named after that kind.

https://youtu.be/k6Q8vW_mqTE

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 10:51 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
But the Japanese get angry and sadistic about it.

There's nothing unique about how the Japanese drive hunt dolphins. The practice is just as 'sadistic' in the Faroe islands as it is in Japan. For that matter, both have made changes in the past decade on the basis of reducing the cruelty involved in the slaughter.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 11:09 pm

The Japanese take them live on land and drag them behind cars on gravel roads for the pleasure of hearing them squeal in agony.

Do that because they blame the animals for hunting fish.

Thats beyond just having an insensitve turkey shoot for turkey meat. Thats anger.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 11:17 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The Japanese take them live on land and drag them behind cars on gravel roads for the pleasure of hearing them squeal in agony.

Evidence please. That's a pretty big claim, especially if you're suggesting that's typical of the Taiji dolphin drive hunt.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2024, 3:52 am

funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Evidence please. That's a pretty big claim, especially if you're suggesting that's typical of the Taiji dolphin drive hunt.

That may not be typical but from what I have heard they may still more or less trap the dolphins and go on a crazy stabbing spree on them...it aint pretty and dolphins not caught up in it may still recognize people are hurting their kind so would make sense of it has made them more hostile to people. Presumably there may have been an era when dophin meat was needed but seems now the dolphin killing is meant as more as a spectacle than collecting of necessary meat. Basically now just dolphin murder for sport.

LIke probably the japanese version of american as*hole bros are hurting the dolphins and well the dolphins are kind of sick of it. And well they are smarter than the big cats, granted I do love the story of the poachers who were hunting rhinos but got eaten by lions and the forest rangers were not even sad about it. But that was likely more of coincidence due to the poachers putting themself in big cat territory becasue cats aren't smart enough to protect rhinos, but dolphins are probably smarter than cats.

And I am not even against hunting, but most real hunters do not want the animals they kill for food to suffer, they prefer to get a good clean shot so they get meat and the animal does not suffer too much. but yeah from what I have heard of the outright basically slaugher of dolphins well they are at least as smart as crows and crows remember a lot of stuff. like so some people did some study on some crows but it required capturing them....then when covid happened the crows were being hostile to everyone. But the people who captured the crows were wearing masks at the time and with covid then everyone was wearing masks so the crows associated the mask with people trying to catch them so thus they were hostile to anyone with a mask on.

And to be fair its not just japan that does this kind of thing, there is a nordic country like one of the more island type ones where they brutally murder a bunch of whales and once again at a time they may have needed the meat but now its juust like whale killing for sport and that is pretty messed up to.

*edit, norway also hunt whales and exports the meat to japan so perhaps more than one scandinavian country .

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2024, 5:06 am

funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
But the Japanese get angry and sadistic about it.

There's nothing unique about how the Japanese drive hunt dolphins. The practice is just as 'sadistic' in the Faroe islands as it is in Japan. For that matter, both have made changes in the past decade on the basis of reducing the cruelty involved in the slaughter.

Well exactly, its not just a Japanese thing its a human thing, that perhaps we should stop doing also now we even have the technology to not slaughter anymore animals but too many people are too squemish about labratory meat even though its way safer and has very little chance of getting contaminated where farm animal meat is more likely to be at risk of contamination as it is not made in a sterile environment. Also imagine shark fins could be grown without people having to go out and kill a whole shark just to get its fin. And of course no more need to kill dolphins and whales either.

We can make meat now without animals, so why not just do that.