Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 6:05 pm

An expert has sounded the alarm over a massive surge in the number of reported UFO sightings around the world in recent months.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/scie ... a21b247eee

In a paper accepted for publication in the Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union, According to tony Milligan, a Research Fellow in the Philosophy of Ethics, King’s College London, he argues that the belief in alien visitors is no longer a quirk, but a widespread societal problem.

Milligan considers these stories as encouraging conspiracy theories, which could undermine trust in democratic institutions. According to the paper, belief in alien visitation is "something that has real and damaging consequences" :roll:

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 6:23 pm

I agree there is no way of knowing but I think it is conceited to think we are the only planet that has life on it considering there are billions of other planets in the universe.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 6:25 pm

It's hard to see aliens through the roof unless you have a sunlight. :nerdy:

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 6:34 pm

Aspinator wrote:
I agree there is no way of knowing but I think it is conceited to think we are the only planet that has life on it considering there are billions of other planets in the universe.

Nothing to do with the issue.

There could be zillions of exoplanets with bacteria. No one denies that. But its a far cry from that to saying that one such world has beings a million years ahead of us who can travel here from the hundreds of lightyears away as easily as we can catch a subway train.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 6:36 pm

Well...there goes the neighborhood.

Its all Kamala's fault...letting in these "aliens" (to sell drugs, rape, and mutilate our cattle).

Though I am sure that some aliens are fine people.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 6:37 pm

^ These other systems aren't sending their best. :nerdy:

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 6:40 pm

Darn right!

Nothing worse than a space alien mental patient!

No sane alien would doodle pictures in...farmer's crops!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 6:44 pm

They're asylum seekers which I can only assume means the same as mental patients like the late, great Hannibal Lecter. We love Hannibal Lecter, don't we folks?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 6:48 pm

The aliens back in the Fifties ....wouldnt touch this place with a ten foot pole! But standards have fallen!

https://youtu.be/PtmaW9N9Wcw

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 9:34 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
There could be zillions of exoplanets with bacteria. No one denies that. But its a far cry from that to saying that one such world has beings a million years ahead of us who can travel here from the hundreds of lightyears away as easily as we can catch a subway train.

It would be quite incredible in a universe with "zillions of exoplanets" with earth like conditions that advanced life arose once (i.e. us) and across billions of years of history.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 9:38 pm

Aspinator wrote:

I find it worrying that Milligan is saying that because people (like me) who have seen unidentified objects, we are somehow bringing on the apocolypse :roll:

Most experiencers just want answers, yet weirdly we are being put into pre-ordained categories by people who puport to be experts but actually offer no viable explanations.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 10:02 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

"They're sending anal probers! They're sending space pirates and smugglers! These are not nice guys."

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 10:05 pm

Maybe it's just my true relatives, finally coming to take me back to the Right Planet. :alien:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 10:19 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

"They're sending anal probers! They're sending space pirates and smugglers! These are not nice guys."

:lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 10:29 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Actually they may not be "nice".

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2024, 10:32 am

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

It would be quite incredible in a universe with "zillions of exoplanets" with earth like conditions that advanced life arose once (i.e. us) and across billions of years of history.

Again..you know full well that that is irrelevant.

We are talking about specific incidents observed in recent week here on Earth being evidence of ...advanced beings...not only existing...but of traveling to our planet. Existing on distant planets (on one hand) and crossing space and visiting us (on the other) are two different things.

But if you're gonna play that game ..."billions of years" is actually a short time span. It took life on earth four billion years to get from the bacteria stage to the jellyfish stage. It was a miraculous dumb luck that allowed us to get from jellyfish to creatures able to build space ships. And even that final dash to us from the jellyfish took more than half of a billion years.

Life beyond earth may exist, or it may not. But even if it does in most cases were life arises it would be primitive microbial life. Creatures equivalent to us evolving would be rare and few and far between.

And even though we have recently invented space travel even we still havent gone beyond our own solar system. If alien visitors of lore were real they would likely be from exoplanets hundreds of light years away.

Most exoplanets that get to the bacteria stage probably stay that way forever, or they get snuffed out by supernova before they evolve beyond that.

The few exoplanets that do evolve intelligent high tech civilizations maybe so few and so far between in both time and space in the vast universe that they would never interact with us or each other.

The point is "whether life exists elsewhere in universe, or not" is not the issue.

Saying "ET life must exist" ergo "that ufo sighted must be an intelligently piloted alien space craft" is like saying that "you, Cyberdad, really exist. Therefore we should convict you of killing Jon Binot Ramsey and give you the chair".