Trump is 'safe following gunshots in his vicinity'

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2024, 2:30 pm

Former President Donald Trump is safe following gunshots "in his vicinity" on Sunday, according to his campaign.

“President Trump is safe," his campaign communications director, Steven Cheung, said, adding there were "No further details at this time".

The Secret Service confirmed in a post on X that they were investigating a "protective incident" involving Trump that took place shortly before 14:00 EST (19:00 BST).

The BBC has contacted the US Secret Service and Trump campaign for more details.

The incident comes almost exactly two months after a gunman attempted to assassinate Trump at a rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, striking his ear.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3rllnd1pypo

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2024, 5:01 pm

Trump "safe," person detained after Secret Service engaged with gunman at Florida golf course, officials say

Quote:
Former President Donald Trump is "safe and unharmed" after Secret Service agents engaged with a suspect pointing a high-powered rifle at the Florida golf course where Trump was golfing Sunday afternoon, officials say. They said the suspect fled but was later taken into custody.

The FBI and U.S. Secret Service are investigating the incident, which the FBI said "appears to be an attempted assassination of former President Trump."

"President Trump is safe following gunshots in his vicinity," Steven Cheung, Trump campaign communications director, said in a brief initial statement.

The law enforcement officials confirmed that U.S. Secret Service members opened fire after the armed suspect was spotted by a member of Trump's Secret Service team, two holes ahead from where the president was golfing, on the edge of the course, multiple law enforcement officials told CBS News.

Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw said in a briefing that Trump was about 300-500 yards away from the man with the gun.

Bradshaw they received a call from U.S. Secret Service at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday that shots had been fired. Units immediately moved to seal off the area, and a witness told authorities that they had seen a man jumping out of the bushes and fleeing in a black Nissan. They took a photo of the license plate number, and the car was spotted traveling north on I-95 toward Martin County, where the driver was pulled over and detained. The witness then identified the individual as the man they had seen in the bushes.

Law enforcement found an AK47-style rifle with a scope, two backpacks with ceramic tile and a Go Pro camera in the bushes at the scene. They displayed photos of the weapon and the backpack at the briefing.

The suspect's name has not yet been released and officials said no motive has been determined at this time.

The FBI is heading the investigation at this time, saying in a statement: "The FBI has responded to West Palm Beach Florida and is investigating what appears to be an attempted assassination of former President Trump.

The Secret Service also said it was investigating the incident along with local authorities. "The Secret Service, in conjunction with the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office, is investigating a protective incident involving former President Donald Trump that occurred shortly before 2 p.m. The former president is safe," Secret Service spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi said.

In a fundraising email, the former president said he is safe.

"There were gunshots in my vicinity, but before rumors start spiraling out of control, I wanted you to hear this first: I AM SAFE AND WELL," Trump said.

President Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris were briefed on the incident on Sunday afternoon, the White House said.

"The President and Vice President have been briefed about the security incident at the Trump International Golf Course, where former President Trump was golfing. They are relieved to know that he is safe," the White House statement said. "They will be kept regularly updated by their team."

In a separate post on X, Harris said, "I am glad he is safe. Violence has no place in America."

Sen. Lindsey Graham, a South Carolina Republican and close ally of the former president, said in a post on X that he had spoken with Trump, who he said "in good spirits and he is more resolved than ever to save our country."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2024, 7:24 pm

Would-be Trump assassin ID’d as Ryan Routh, 58, of Hawaii: sources

Ryan Wesley Routh, Would-be Trump Assassin, Fought in Ukraine, Supports War

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2024, 7:27 pm

Funny, another failed attempt when Trump's falling behind in the polls...
I know, I know, I "probably" don't really believe that. :twisted:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2024, 7:31 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

It's almost like he didn't notice how little sympathy the first attempt generated. I get the feeling most Americans feel like he deserves to enter the finding out stage of his story finally.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2024, 12:43 am

the shooter is Ryan Wesley Routh

Routh is a former construction worker from Greensboro, North Carolina.

He was previously convicted in 2002 of possessing a weapon of mass destruction, a reference to a fully automatic machine gun, after a three-hour standoff with police in Greensboro.

Routh was pulled over in a traffic stop but put his hand on a firearm and drove to a roofing business where he barricaded himself inside, according to a 2002 News & Record article.

He attended North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, but relocated to Hawaii sometime around 2018, according to his LinkedIn.

He describes himself on his profile as “mechanically minded” and enjoying “ideas and invention and creative projects with artistic flair”.

He is the owner of Box Camp Honolulu, a shed building company. Speaking to The New York Times last year, Routh said he had planned to move the Afghans, in some cases illegally, from Pakistan and Iran into Ukraine.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2024, 1:16 am

cyberdad wrote:

Routh is a former construction worker from Greensboro, North Carolina.

He was previously convicted in 2002 of possessing a weapon of mass destruction, a reference to a fully automatic machine gun, after a three-hour standoff with police in Greensboro.

Routh was pulled over in a traffic stop but put his hand on a firearm and drove to a roofing business where he barricaded himself inside, according to a 2002 News & Record article.

He attended North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, but relocated to Hawaii sometime around 2018, according to his LinkedIn.

He describes himself on his profile as “mechanically minded” and enjoying “ideas and invention and creative projects with artistic flair”.

He is the owner of Box Camp Honolulu, a shed building company. Speaking to The New York Times last year, Routh said he had planned to move the Afghans, in some cases illegally, from Pakistan and Iran into Ukraine.

Okay, he's insane.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2024, 1:20 am

cyberdad wrote:

...He is the owner of Box Camp Honolulu, a shed building company. Speaking to The New York Times last year, Routh said he had planned to move the Afghans, in some cases illegally, from Pakistan and Iran into Ukraine.

If this is accurate, why would some shed builder from Hawaii be interviewed by the New York Times about his foreign policy?

enz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2024, 1:21 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

It's almost like he didn't notice how little sympathy the first attempt generated. I get the feeling most Americans feel like he deserves to enter the finding out stage of his story finally.

We don't want people shooting each other in America over politics

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2024, 1:23 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I don't think anyone deserves to be murdered. As true for Trump as it is for Biden, Kamala, Obama, W., etc. Anyone who makes light of this seems cruel and heartless to me. Doesn't matter how much someone is disliked, murder is never acceptable! Period. Anyone who can't see that is borderline sociopath, regardless of what they believe of themselves.

And all these assassination attempts...This is how third-world countries operate. Sad to see it happen here.

Shame on anyone who sees this as some movie/story instead of real life.

Last edited by ezbzbfcg2 on 16 Sep 2024, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2024, 1:24 am

enz wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

We don't want people shooting each other in America over politics

Most certainly not. I think most Americans would agree, save for the crazies.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2024, 1:50 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

...He is the owner of Box Camp Honolulu, a shed building company. Speaking to The New York Times last year, Routh said he had planned to move the Afghans, in some cases illegally, from Pakistan and Iran into Ukraine.

If this is accurate, why would some shed builder from Hawaii be interviewed by the New York Times about his foreign policy?

Oh sorry links
https://www.news.com.au/world/north-ame ... 411e1875a1

Routh’s LinkedIn page says he started a company in 2018 called Camp Box Honolulu, which builds storage units and tiny houses; a story in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser said he donated a structure for homeless people. I think the NY times were interested in him because he fought as a mercanary for the Ukrainians.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2024, 4:20 am

Was he shot at again? I can see why.

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2024, 9:48 am

This guy is clearly another nutter, just like the last one. No conspiracy theory going on here at all.

No, Trump, odious though he is, does not deserve to be killed. Beat him at the ballot box, and then in court.

King Kat 1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2024, 10:39 am

I'm sure the whole " God spared his life" thing has already started :twisted: