why is the GOP suing to block overseas votes?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2024, 9:48 pm

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4940 ... hallenges/

why is the GOP attacking overseas military members in this way? what do they have against the Reagan era law guaranteeing overseas military members access to the vote?

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2024, 9:57 pm

Because those overseas recognise there is somewhere other than the USA, hence know basic geography and therefore cannot belong to the MAGA movement?
Just a guess.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2024, 10:03 pm

seems they are biting themselves in the leg here, by doing that they are deliberately perturbing one of their major constituencies, the military. there is no good sense in that.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2024, 10:07 pm

[assumption=mine]

a. Most overseas votes are cast by military personnel.
b. Mr. Trump has declared military personnel "losers" and "suckers".
: : Overseas military personnel are not likely to vote for someone who calls them "losers" and "suckers".

[/assumption]

Now, Mr. Trump may have been referring to dead military personnel in this way; but as a veteran myself, this alone is enough to turn my vote toward "Anyone but Trump".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2024, 11:13 pm

Higher voter turn-out doesn't help the GOP so they favour restricting voting as much as possible.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 6:55 pm

^^^^GOP insiders have thought this since reagan's time, this was voiced back in the day by paul weyrich, a key GOP operative.