Teenage Murderer in Taupo gets +15 years...

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 1:09 am

Jahche Broughton sentenced to +12 years for murder of Karen Aim

His actions speak loudest: He attacked one woman, bashing her repeatedly with a rock, taking her purse and leaving her for dead. Then later after smashing windows at a nearby school, he attacked Karen Aim, bashing her repeatedly with a baseball bat, then hitching her skirt up (he didn't sexually-touch her) and leaving her to die in the street.

I'm not aware of anything to suggest Jahche suffered abuse or neglect from his family or relatives, or any reason or past-event for him to feel hate or anger toward women. I wonder if he views women as weak and something to prey upon? Maybe there is some thrill or feeling he gains from this kind of crime? I fear this person is a psychopath...

He received 12+ years for murder and 6+ years for the previous assault. Some of the victims family believe he should be in for longer. I think he should never be released, that he'll simply return to crime.

Jahche was 14 at the time of the murder.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 1:42 am

12 1/2 years was the minimum, meaning the earliest he would be eligible for parole... eligibility doesn't guarantee he'll be released, only that they'll consider it... he'll still have to convince a parole board he's fit to return to society...

Charles Manson is eligible for parole, has been for years. Once a year he gets to go before a parole board and try to convince them to let him go. SO far he's had no luck, and most people seem to think that he'll never be paroled...

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 9:26 am

This guy, if he actually did what the article says he did, has obvious problems. He should not be spending more than a couple of years in prison. Rather he should receive treatment, shock treatment, in the electric chair. If that happens, we will know for sure the treatment would stop him from re-offending.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 1:50 pm

Maybe cyberscan wants 2000 v electrotreatment in the chair, but is it right ? I know that a knee jerk reaction might be to hang/shoot/gas/electrocute the murderer, but it is not always right.

I have difficulty with the idea of the death penalty, in some rare cases I think that it might be the right thing to do (Timothy McVeigh and Andrei Chikatilo) but in other most cases I think that it is wrong. In this case becuase of the age of the subject at the time when he did the crime I think that it would be 100% wrong to seek the death penalty.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.