Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alblurt_06
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Feb 2006, 11:20 pm

I'm just wondering. How is everyone here at test taking? For me, it usually results in anxiety and a less than satisfactory score. How do you guys prepare for tests, if at all? (Studying, yes. But anything else?)

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 12:21 am

I drink a big glass of grape juice and eat a cinnamon & sugar bagel that morning. I've never really had a problem with anxiety during the actual test, so I've never had a problem with scores. I usually get anxious the day before a test, and to calm down I'll pace and repeat whatever pops into my head. The only times I've stressed over a test were in math class because I am notoriously bad about checking my work, or showing my work, which causes problems with the teacher, who, for some reason, needs me to show her how to find the answer to a problem she's already solved. (And heaven help us all if my way is somehow different than hers.)

What kind of tests are you stressed about? All of them? The standardized ones? The in-class ones? The AP tests? Math tests? Oral exams? (Okay, I ALWAYS get anxious before, during, and after one of these.)

I also found that having a tape ball to play with helped reduce any anxiety I felt during a test.

TheOrangeMage
Toucan
Toucan

03 Feb 2006, 3:43 pm

Tests? I take them.

No studying, no worrying.

I have a memory like bear trap. :D

I'm usually done before everyone else too.

alblurt_06

03 Feb 2006, 11:25 pm

All I take these days are multiple choice tests, so I guess it's that. Free Response not so much.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 11:54 pm

I may or may not study depending on the available time, the difficulty of the material and stuff like that. I have always been a good test taker, in fact, I think I do better on tests than I do on most other assignments. I tend to focus better on tests and the fact that I am not a perfectionist helps me considering that I can just whip out answers without worry. I think I do better on tests than I do on most other assignments because of the better focus, the haste and the fact that tests tend to be easier/more error friendly than homework because of the reduced amount of time.

Spriteling
Toucan
Toucan

04 Feb 2006, 10:05 am

I usually get pretty anxious about tests, except for maths. I always end up pacing and tapping to try and get my mind off the test the night before. ^^;;

alblurt_06

09 Feb 2006, 12:01 am

I do bad on tests knowing that I do know it but end up doing bad because I second guessed my knowledge.

Soma
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2006, 12:40 am

Usually I freak the night before and have a stomach ache as I walk in the classroom, but I tend to do ok-ish when I calm down and get to work.

Henry David Thoureau, 1854

SuchBrokenDolls
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Feb 2006, 9:04 pm

alblurt_06 wrote:
I'm just wondering. How is everyone here at test taking? For me, it usually results in anxiety and a less than satisfactory score. How do you guys prepare for tests, if at all? (Studying, yes. But anything else?)

I just gave up trying after a while...it became very disappointing, but I found out that if I don't skrew around in class and take notes I usually get away with B's. Good luck, what class?

noisetank
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Feb 2006, 2:57 pm

lol, im horrible at test taking, whenever im studying for one, it seems that my mind shields itself not letting most of the information get in :D

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

22 Feb 2006, 9:59 pm

TheOrangeMage wrote:
Tests? I take them.

No studying, no worrying.

I have a memory like bear trap. :D

I'm usually done before everyone else too.

Same here, although I'm having to get into the habit of studying for my Algebra II class because I find it impossible to focus in that class.

Black_Sheep
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 May 2006, 3:19 pm

At test taking, I'm usally the last person to finish, but my score is usally higher than everyone else. Honor Roll!

Therblig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jun 2006, 11:28 pm

Standardized tests kill me. I can know the information back and front and even have all of the answer memorized verbatim (some public school teachers will actually give you the answers prior to the test), but I still over analyze the choices. It's an awful curse.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

07 Jun 2006, 9:13 am

Does anyone else have a problem when the numbers of a's, b's, c's, etc. aren't equal on a multiple choice test? I always panic and start overanalyzing when that happens.

PenitentSpark
Raven
Raven

19 Jun 2006, 6:39 pm

SolaCatella wrote:
Does anyone else have a problem when the numbers of a's, b's, c's, etc. aren't equal on a multiple choice test? I always panic and start overanalyzing when that happens.

Lol I always freak out slightly on the inside when I notice answers aren't 'balanced' or 'symmetrical' and have strange patterns...

I'm usually good at tests as I'm interested in most of my subjects.

subatai_baadur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2006, 10:11 pm

I'm an insanely good test taker. It's weird. My tips are:
1.No chewables. If you can chew it, it's not good. If it is filling, it's not good. Stick to mints and water.
2.Don't study. I've taken Algebra twice(moved and new school didn't have it). Didn't study either time. Got 100 and a 94 on the standardized tests, respectively.
3.Don't think. You subconscious takes things in much more slowly than your regular mind, but also much more thoroughly. It will do most of your job.
4.Constantly remind yourself of how close you are. Twist statistics so that the end is always right around the corner. Relieves pressure.
5.Take a break. Every 30 minutes or so, just stop and think about something completely random. Unless you're on a roll, it will help.