Do you think that my teacher doing this is ok??

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

firefly_in_the_sky
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Sep 2010, 3:41 am

Ok, so i don't really like criticism and getting it from teachers is even worse. Im one of those kids who sulk after getting 9/10 on a test because i wanted full marks :P. Anyway i was in biology and we had gotten our homework back and i got 14/30, needless to say i sat at my desk head in my hands, not even looking at my work and shaking all over trying to control myself :?. The teacher asked if i was ok and i said yes, i started to have a panic attack in the middle of the class :oops: all i knew is that i had to get out of there. My teacher acted as if i was 'misbehaving' and treated it with a blasé sort of attitude asking me 'do you do this all the time' and kept staring at me like she was saying 'how dare you interrupt my class'.

9of47
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2010, 4:00 am

In my opinion, that was not ok at all. If she is aware of your autism and your triggers she should not have acted in that way. She should have probably handed it to you in private before the class so you could have time to recover and compose yourself. If she is not aware, then perhaps it's time to make her aware. In either case she should have controlled her reaction. It's not acceptable and could be viewed as bullying. You are not misbehaving if you have a panic attack, even if it does interrupt her class. Your school has a duty of care to your health and welfare and even more so considering your ASD so your teacher should have made every effort to help you get over your panic attack, including allowing you to leave the class and seek help from the counselor/nurse as needed. Tell your parents about it and get them to start the ball rolling in addressing her behavior.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 4:58 am

firefly_in_the_sky wrote:
Ok, so i don't really like criticism and getting it from teachers is even worse. Im one of those kids who sulk after getting 9/10 on a test because i wanted full marks :P. Anyway i was in biology and we had gotten our homework back and i got 14/30, needless to say i sat at my desk head in my hands, not even looking at my work and shaking all over trying to control myself :?. The teacher asked if i was ok and i said yes, i started to have a panic attack in the middle of the class :oops: all i knew is that i had to get out of there. My teacher acted as if i was 'misbehaving' and treated it with a blasé sort of attitude asking me 'do you do this all the time' and kept staring at me like she was saying 'how dare you interrupt my class'.

Perhaps your teacher has AS and since you said "yes" when she asked if you were ok, she thought you were ok.

Anyway it's very important in life to be able to tolerate some degree of failure because you WILL fall short on something on occasion.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 8:58 am

The problem is the fact that you said 'yes' instead of no. Don't get me wrong, I find it very difficult to say that something is wrong as I then have to explain in great length as to why I am not happy etc. What you did is very common with people with AS and your teacher needs to know this. Could someone perhaps write a letter to your teachers explaining this? (I had a tough time at school too so I hope this helps.)

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

27 Sep 2010, 4:29 pm

In the context, I totally think this is not okay. Have a chat with your teacher and agree on some sort of signal you can use when you just need a walk.

oliver93
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Sep 2010, 4:33 pm

this could have or could not have been inappropriate depending on the circumstances.

if she does take everything literally she might have thought you were playing up. (try not to take offense to that, its hard to be aware of everyone's needs at once)
or she could have been bullying you.
or even might have just blown her top.

the circumstances make all the difference :shrug:

tyuiop159
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Oct 2010, 1:07 pm

I understand that. I went to a private school where the teachers were all like that. I had a panic attack one day because of a sound outside. All my teacher had to do was close the door, but she refused to do it. You would think teachers would be a little more understanding of things like this.

firefly_in_the_sky
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Oct 2010, 6:27 pm

I never misbehave, im really quiet and usually the teachers really like me. This one is a 'social' kind of teacher and wants to be friends with students, im a quiet girl who doesn't want to be her friend. She has her favourites, im not one of those. The school was very aware of my aspergers, i used to see the councillor and i sometimes see the educational psychologist. They have been fantastic and the teachers are awesome until this incident and it really brought my confidence down. I've gotten better at biology and im now on meds to help my depression and i haven't had a panic attack since but i find i get really anxious in her class since the incident, so much to the point im hyperventilating and panicking. I've been trying to understand her reaction and your theories about her having aspergers have some merit. Thanks everyone for your answers :thumright: :D :wink:

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 6:53 pm

Completely and utterly inappropriate. If that teacher was graded on her behaviour she'd get a far lower mark than you did.

Hope you're feeling better now... make sure your teachers know about your AS though, it can help. You'd be amazed the difference it's made to my son.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 4:22 am

I had a science teacher similar to yours. She pretty much hated me because I had to use a laptop in her class. I have a statement of Asperger's and a diagnosis of dyspraxia, and the SEN people had obviously decided I benefit from use of the laptop, but she - despite the fact she knows f**k all about any of it apart from the fact I have it - kept insisting that I didn't need it and I just used it to play games, even though she never once saw me doing so, because I didn't play games in class. She just made s**t up to use against me.

Not only that, but she often favoured the bad kids! And guess what? Those bad kids would lie about me playing games on my laptop to back up her bulls**t just to piss me off.

I reported her to the SEN department but I don't think they actually did anything about it. If I had the money, I'd have gone and sued her for disability discrimination. Maybe I still will, one day. I wish karma would come back to her and she'd get run over by a car or something. She deserves it.

As you can tell, I'm getting angry just thinking about the horrible b***h.

But yeah, your teacher acted inappropriately. Definitely.

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 10:10 am

I don't think that was right at all, especially because I had a teacher who would do just that in fifth grade! She shouldn't say that you're disrupting; instead, she sould try to calm you, or maybe help you through your panic attack. Teachers like those, in my opinion, should be fired. If she pulls an even worse stunt, please tell your parents, and if she lies about you or what she is doing like my old teacher did...tell the parents, guardians, or anyone you can trust to believe you; it's time to get her what she deserves if that happens!

Emeria
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2010, 2:31 pm

I don't know if this is an option for you, but could you try putting the assignment straight into your binder and then don't look at until after class? I used to have really bad anxiety about how I perform in school and just slipping exams into my backpack and looking at the grade later when I'm alone (and can panic or be angry or hurt without anyone else being affected) really helps.

~And if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free!~

-froggo-
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2010, 12:56 pm

firefly_in_the_sky wrote:
I never misbehave, im really quiet and usually the teachers really like me. This one is a 'social' kind of teacher and wants to be friends with students, im a quiet girl who doesn't want to be her friend. She has her favourites, im not one of those. The school was very aware of my aspergers, i used to see the councillor and i sometimes see the educational psychologist. They have been fantastic and the teachers are awesome until this incident and it really brought my confidence down. I've gotten better at biology and im now on meds to help my depression and i haven't had a panic attack since but i find i get really anxious in her class since the incident, so much to the point im hyperventilating and panicking. I've been trying to understand her reaction and your theories about her having aspergers have some merit. Thanks everyone for your answers :thumright: :D :wink:

I would say, that given her awareness of your situation, she should have been more careful; you could probably sue her for discrimination.
Edit: I'd suggest complaining to the SEN and the School Governers, rather than sueing, though.

Melt_TheIce
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Nov 2010, 4:16 pm

I think that this was very inapropriate and unfair. are the school aware of your difficulties in situations like this? if not try to tell them, I don't know what your school is like, but mine have been very supportive during my four years at my current secondary school. My last school had teachers very like this, they had best intentions but didn't really understand the condition well enough, nor was there anything in place-eg, a SEN department-to help me deal with life, my current school is FAR better with things like this.

Do you have trouble with telling people when you're not alright? i used to never tell anyone if I wasn't feeling okay, and it would just all bottle up until it overflowed, it seems that you were donig the same in that lesson (tell me if you don't aggree with that, this was only from my experince, yorus may be totally different). If so, it's really important that you tell someone if you're not feeling okay, it could help you with your stress/anxiety levels in situations like the above, and someone may be able to help you. :)