Page 3 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

daedal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Feb 2011, 3:57 pm

Stage 3, probably. To most appearances, I am a very introverted, very awkward (physically, too) teenage girl with set hobbies (they see me reading, mostly) and difficulty mixing with people my age, but I am not a complete weirdo like I was to my peers when I was younger. Then, I suppressed the weirdness, but that often led to me tripping up on all the rules and stuff. Now I can deal with them better, I understand the theory behind them more. If you don't know me, I'm just the NT geek who somehow manages to have unwanted company. If you interact with me, you can see I'm not all 'there', but I'm still a lot better than I was (I should hope so!).
When I was younger I was obsessed with being normal (and no, I won't put that in quote marks), so I probably looked more normal to adults then than I do now because I suppressed lots of things. I didn't stim (at least, I became very aware of myself and stopped whenever I caught myself), was just very lively and animated, asked too many questions all the time, but it was the other kids thought I was just weird, so I was stage 2 then. But when I was 10 I withdrew...started having mini meltdowns at other people's houses, everything got a little too much and I spent more time than ever by myself in my room.
Argh confused post. I'm tired! At 9pm, haha.

Yowuza
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Feb 2011, 3:47 pm

Moog wrote:
Stage K - you learn to be yourself more completely; integrate your sense impressions, emotions, mind and body more (peace)fully; you know mainly how to conduct yourself among other people; you still have autism, you're still a bit awkward, but it's only a problem very occasionally.

Well said.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 3:13 am

Yowuza wrote:
Moog wrote:
Stage K - you learn to be yourself more completely; integrate your sense impressions, emotions, mind and body more (peace)fully; you know mainly how to conduct yourself among other people; you still have autism, you're still a bit awkward, but it's only a problem very occasionally.

Well said.

Thank you :)

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 2:23 am

IceCreamGirl wrote:
Stage 1: You're in your own Aspie world. You act completely different from everyone else.
Stage 2: You try to act normal, but you can't help acting a little different.
Stage 3: You act normal most of the time, but once in a while you act different.
Stage 4: You've grown out of AS.

I just came out of Stage 1. I'm in Stage 2 now. Most Aspies don't reach Stage 4.

I don't think stage 4 exists.

Hannah_x
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Mar 2011, 6:17 am

Peko wrote:
Simonono wrote:
What is there to grow out of?? This is a permanent way of life.

I have to agree. So based on this chart I believe its impossible to go beyond stage 3. I'm somewhere between 2 and 3.

I agree too, But isn't stage 2 and stage 3 kind of the same?
I think I'm stage 1-2

bigdaddy95
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Mar 2011, 1:15 pm

must have been stage 1 or the secret stage 0 until about 12 or 13. Now I am on stage 3. Makes me wish I was never diagnosed.

anikatheoddone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2011, 8:42 pm

im stage 3

-froggo-
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 5:54 pm

katzefrau wrote:
IceCreamGirl wrote:
Stage 1: You're in your own Aspie world. You act completely different from everyone else.
Stage 2: You try to act normal, but you can't help acting a little different.

Stage 3: You have a complete emotional breakdown from exhaustion
Stage 4: You stop trying to act like anything you're not, realizing survival is of greater importance than being thought normal.
Stage 5: You accept that you have AS and it is a permanent condition, and you begin the process of learning how to better accommodate your needs even if you would prefer not to have special needs.

at least, these are the stages of becoming aware of having AS as an adult, as i see it.

I think I'm in Stage 4 when in comfortable situations... other times I revert back to 1. :D

Edit: On katzefrau's scale

Dragonfairy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Mar 2011, 11:21 pm

Eh, stage 1. There's nothing even remotely "normal" about skateboarding around wearing frilly dresses from Japan while having your mum take photos so you can upload them onto facebook.
It's better than getting intoxicated, stumbling over to whoever is "do-able".....and behold, nine months later, you're wondering who the father is. From what I've seen, that's what most of the people my age are up to where I live. Not much.

Davuardo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Mar 2011, 3:25 am

Daedal Posted:
"When I was younger I was obsessed with being normal (and no, I won't put that in quote marks), so I probably looked more normal to adults then than I do now because I suppressed lots of things. I didn't stim (at least, I became very aware of myself and stopped whenever I caught myself), was just very lively and animated, asked too many questions all the time, but it was the other kids thought I was just weird, so I was stage 2 then."

Have to say I can seriously relate to that. I am probably stage 2 at this stage of my life(16 years) and really worked hard to hide my symptoms of AS during 12-15 year old adolescence. During the course of this year I am learning that there isn't really a need to carbon copy people as "everyone is unique", which I heard a lot when I was younger, despite never really taking in a meaning for it. I could just spend all my time analysing others social behaviour and emulating it but now I have learned to accept myself a bit more and stop worrying about what people will think, after all, most NT's are mad anyway :P

My socially regurgitated behaviour however has lead to my girlfriend and her parents not believing that I have it as I seem 'normal', despite my official diagnosis.

I think in terms of stages the opening comment nailed it on the head, however some people with AS may find it difficult to accept that as if we never find ourselves moving stages we won't accept that some people do move through the stages, its part and parcel of our condition :). AS affects everyone differently.

PS: I still attempt to act normal-ish merely to ensure that the group is comfortable around me, as I think that I shouldn't conform yet expecting everyone to just put up with it is selfish and self-centered.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 7:36 pm

lol u can't grow out of aspergers

trojan51
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2011, 6:28 pm

According to the OP, I am in stage 3, I do show my aspie traits every now and then but I do appear "normal" most of the time

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 6:27 pm

Stage 1 - you be yourself

Stage 2 - you realize you are not like most people, and try to fit in

Stage 3 - you realize that you don't give a crap and give up with stage 2

I'm trying to transition into stage 3 right now.

AE
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Apr 2011, 2:48 pm

I don't know if the four stages work for you, but for me I've identified seven specific stages that persons with Asperger's or those who love them often progress through. If you live like the rest of the world doesn't matter, then you're inviting years of hurt for yourself and anyone who loves you.

There's a much more positive way to accept and eventually embrace Asperger's. Check it out at:

http://aspergersexpert.blogspot.com/201 ... erger.html

Peter

kaika_dragon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Aug 2011, 9:29 pm

I came out of stage one when I was thirteen years old, and have been wobbling back and forth between stages two and three ever since. I act much more normal when I am in a good mood, doing something I like.

Opeth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2011, 5:47 am

I'd say I stagger between stage two and three pretty often.