Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

UDAspie13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2013, 7:40 pm

My mom can't understand that I hate the sun with a passion because it hurts my eyes.

My sisters can't understand that their play noise sounds so much louder to me than it does to them.

My dad doesn't understand that I really, really, really, really don't like him touching my shoulders and that my playful glares at him are getting less playful every time he puts his hand on my shoulders.

They don't understand that when I get stressed my senses go crazy, to the point where I want to scream because of the sheer amount of input I'm getting. It's not that much considering some of the stuff other people on the spectrum have to deal with, but it still drives me nuts. It'll get to the point where my hair brushing my shoulder freaks me out.

My dad also thinks it's rude that I won't sit next to him when he's eating cottage cheese or Parmesan cheese or yogurt, and that I won't touch bananas for any reason.

This is... mild. How do people deal with a world where they can hear their phones running (I can too, but it has to be right next to my ear) if I can barely survive when traffic outside distracts me?

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 4:12 am

This is a good question. My parents also don´t get my sensory issues. I often tell them to listen to the radio not so loud because I hate it. It is too much for me. To be touched is another problem I have like you. But although they don´t understand it my parents accept it and don´t often touch me. I am very happy about this.

misakiflower
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Apr 2013, 6:49 am

sometimes I wonder if I have some sensory issues.
Does anyone else really hate the feeling of coldness? When I'm in the shower I pretty much make it as hot as I can without burning myself, I like how it feels. But then I'm afraid to get out of the shower because I'm scared of feeling the cold. My parent does not understand why I use so many towels up, It's because I have to rush out of the shower and cover myself with towels and dry as fast as possible before leaving the bathroom. One time, during winter when I forgot to bring a towel into the bathroom,
I had to walk across the house wet and cold and I started crying because I hated it so much. I was shaking like a leaf. I really never want to feel like that again. Everyone thinks I'm being a big baby, but I really can't help it.. it's awful. I don't know if this is a sensory issue or not either, but I also frequently get paranoid thinking I'm hearing people whisper, because whispering really grinds my gears. My parent whispers about me constantly and it upsets me so much. Half of the time I can hear everything she is saying which almost makes it worse and more annoying. I also really despise motorcycles and truck horns.

Hollie1996
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jun 2013, 4:48 am

My stupid stupid stupid next door neighbours often have parties and I often have meltdowns because of it. My says that it isn't loud but how could you say that isn't loud.

Sanduru
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2013, 8:00 pm

Same here. My mother can't speak without SCREAMING. I always get deafened by her and her friends and get nuts. I used to cry everytime she spoke to me closely. but now that I'm 20 I tend to scratch my fingers and my teeth together, also moving from one place to another or as I tend to disassociate, it also helps. Sometimes I listen to calm music until I'm relaxed. I also eat the skin of my fingers so much that it scares people.

Sometimes I just scream and isolate myself until I relax. That or I sleep.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 12:12 pm

My parents say I neeeeeeeeed to make eye contact. I hate doing it. Then they like touching me. I try to leave, but then they touch me more.

My brother screams in my ear just to get me to start panicking and screaming. My sister takes my things to pester me.