I have a narrow interest range. How do I broaden it?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

maccha
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Feb 2015, 9:30 pm

Ok, so you know I have Asperger's syndrome, but that first affected me hard when I was little. Ever since, I've had an interest for only some things instead of more, and this was at the time when my parents were fighting SO HARD for my brain. So hard. I wasn't really like any other kid in my elementary school until like 3rd grade, since before that they were looking down on me for the things I said and did as "weird", when to me I thought it was OK. I was like that for as long as they were fighting hard for my brain. I'm now in seventh grade, and still living and fighting for myself with some of my parents' support. Everyone in my class had their own broad interest ranges, and some were OBSESSED with Pokémon, when I just, plain out, didn't like it. I didn't really know what it was, and I didn't really broaden my interest range to contain it until 3rd grade. I've never really had any real experience with toys at a young age, and now I can't build my foundation of interests without a base that I missed my opportunity to fill. I always think about this: Will it benefit me in the long run, or end up in the trash like all the other stuff I had? I don't really keep track of my stuff. What ever happens to it is fate's decision. It always happens to me. Ever since I became more aware of the world, I found out about electronics and grew up alongside with them. I learned about software and smartphones, and as I grew up, I outgrew a ton of toys I would have wanted, but forgot about. And now, as a teen, as a result, I only have an interest for stuff electronic-related, and outgrew a TON of toys that I wanted in the past, and if I was ever to be seen with the toys I wanted, people would see me as a little kid, which I DIDN'T want, but what I DID want to lead was a social life, as I didn't really have any friends and led a solitary life when I was younger. I still like to do things alone. I'm just oriented that way, due to my Asperger's, but now I'm more social with the world around me than I was before. But my interest range still remains very narrow, even now, and I want to broaden it more.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 7:06 am

I've got a similar problem - I have a decent amount of interests, but still can't relate to people about it.

I'm not sure what to tell you other than: Try new things.

You're a young teenager, and this is the best time to experiment and find out what you like and what you don't like as you develop into who you are.

I know how you feel. At 13 I only liked a couple videogames and that's it.

Now I'm older and like plenty of stuff - books, music, games, writing, acting, etc.

You'll find your interests...

Like I said just remember to be open to the world around you and try new things. Yeah, there will be some things you end up hating, but that just means you know what you do like and what you don't like.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 2:16 pm

I'm like that too. The only things I'm into is:

-everything to do with the 90s TV show x files
-the gummy bear song in different languages
- anything to do with murder and crime

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2015, 5:13 pm

Watch the gateway drug of anime known as Lucky Star.
Once you pop, the fun don't stop. You move on to Haruhi, Azumanga Daioh, then all this other anime.
The world around you? It will no longer matter.
Anime will be all that matters to you.
You will only be interested in finding more anime.
And you will never stop. You will hunt for anime. You will need to think about anime 24/7. You will be sat up late at night watching anime.
Some say they outgrew anime.
Others stayed here forever.
Join us, OP. Your interest range will be certainly broadened.

Scissor...me
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Mar 2015, 5:59 pm

Yeah umm... Dont do that! Because that's not broadening your interest range; it's just getting obsessed and closing yourself for something which isn't that extraordinairy. Sure, you can watch it or read it or whatever, but don't let it close you up. To answer your question, I think you need to find out the type of person you are inside (artistic, sporty, techy...) and do a little research on things that correspond. Maybe ask your friends what they like (since friends usually have some tastes in common) and stay open. Things'll just come too.

Sarah xx

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 11:00 am

Oh I do like acting and writing, cooking and a bunch of other things as well. I thought you only meant like a specific special interest. There's a difference between special interests and regular interests. :)

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2015, 2:34 pm

Scissor...me wrote:
Yeah umm... Dont do that! Because that's not broadening your interest range; it's just getting obsessed and closing yourself for something which isn't that extraordinairy. Sure, you can watch it or read it or whatever, but don't let it close you up. To answer your question, I think you need to find out the type of person you are inside (artistic, sporty, techy...) and do a little research on things that correspond. Maybe ask your friends what they like (since friends usually have some tastes in common) and stay open. Things'll just come too.

You are a baka.
You must be terminated. *telepathically smashes you into a wall*

Lazershow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Mar 2015, 2:44 pm

Yeah i have a pretty narrow interest range myself with anime being what i spend most of my time on. Ive been trying to get into other things though like philosophy and stuff like that. I even joined a philosophy club so i could learn more about it.

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2015, 3:01 pm

Lazershow wrote:
Yeah i have a pretty narrow interest range myself with anime being what i spend most of my time on. Ive been trying to get into other things though like philosophy and stuff like that. I even joined a philosophy club so i could learn more about it.

:3

Theclouds
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Mar 2015, 8:45 pm

You don't. It cannot be done, if I could controll my interests, I would devote them toward school, because then I would be able to put 100% of my spare energy into that the same way I put 100% of my energy into my random obsessions.

Scissor...me
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Mar 2015, 9:17 pm

JoeDaBro wrote:
Scissor...me wrote:

You are a baka.

You know you're suppose to be here to give people useful advice and I read some of your posts and like I told u somewhere else, it's not helping anything. So you can join a randomness-all-the-time club but here's not quite the place to be talking nonsense all day...

Sarah xx

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 9:31 pm

When in doubt, read a book. Fiction, Non-Fiction, whatever - keep your options open.

The more information you expose yourself to, the more subjects you will find that interest you (do not depend on the Internet, it has its uses, but its a soul-killer).

Some interests may be obsessive for a while, then you'll burn out on them and move on - others will continue to fascinate you for years, even if you wander away for a while, then come back to them again. Its a huge, fascinating world, for gods' sakes, don't limit yourself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware of what's its like to have autistic limitations that mean many things that interest normal people leave you cold and some things that you can't shut up about bore the hell out of everyone around you - been there, done that. Still, there are always categories, sub-categories and related side-facets that can offer endless roads of inquiry to explore, not to mention worlds of fiction that will stimulate your own imagination to creativity.

Studies are demonstrating that reading traditional books does more to stimulate the visual imagination and increase memory retention, than reading the same material on an electronic device.

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2015, 12:21 pm

Scissor...me wrote:
JoeDaBro wrote:
Scissor...me wrote:

You are a baka.

You know you're suppose to be here to give people useful advice and I read some of your posts and like I told u somewhere else, it's not helping anything. So you can join a randomness-all-the-time club but here's not quite the place to be talking nonsense all day...

*throws plate of cookies at wall and the plate smashes* Maybe you knew I was going to do that, maybe you didn't, if you did then you baked those cookies and set that plate right there, deliberately, purposely, which means that you're sitting there, also deliberately, purposely.

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2015, 12:25 pm

will@rd wrote:
The more information you expose yourself to, the more subjects you will find that interest you (do not depend on the Internet, it has its uses, but its a soul-killer).

"soul-killer"
*looks at rules* *looks back* People can use the internet however they want to. It's not a soul-killer.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 3:06 pm

will@rd you are 45. please do not fight with a 12-year old little boy. that makes you the immature one.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 4:18 pm

the 45 thing is a glitch...maybe he is 45 but it's more likely that he is actually older or younger.

i don't see it as fighting btw....

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.