no 58%  58%  [ 124 ]
Total votes : 212

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2010, 7:22 am

ChrisVulcan wrote:
thedaywalker wrote:
i think that people wo believe in god are just as irational as people that are in asylum because voices tell them to do thing. schizophrenics. most people dont know what scizophrenics are so i explained. denieing the truth is crazy believing in god is denieing the truth. i think anyone who is religious should be ashamed. there stupid and insane.

I, a "stupid and insane" Christian, would like to point out that you began all your sentences with lower case letters, and misspelled these words:
1. who
2. irrational
3. schizophrenics
4. denying
5. don't
6. they're

I also would like to point out that many religion-related experiences can't be attributed to hallucinations. I know a kid who was expected to die when he was an infant, but began breathing independently -- and apparently with no medically possible cause! The entire team of doctors and round-the-clock nurses watching him couldn't possibly have all been delusional.

P.S. Most in my family are Christians and have IQs in excess of 140.

Well said, ChrisVulcan, although it's not usually polite to comment on people's spelling and grammar. Aren't you also annoyed when people write 'God' entirely in lowercase letters? First of all, in abrahamic religions, He's not a 'god', He's the 'God', just as you do not talk about the 'universe' when you talk about the whole of creation, it's the 'Universe'. Second of all, show some respect already! If atheists speak without a respect for religions they will just undermine their case just as much as the worst of religious fundamentalists.

It's also good to hear about your reported 'miracle', although I just wish at times that He would be a little more generous in their distribution.

solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2010, 9:27 am

ChrisVulcan wrote:
thedaywalker wrote:
i think that people wo believe in god are just as irational as people that are in asylum because voices tell them to do thing. schizophrenics. most people dont know what scizophrenics are so i explained. denieing the truth is crazy believing in god is denieing the truth. i think anyone who is religious should be ashamed. there stupid and insane.

I, a "stupid and insane" Christian, would like to point out that you began all your sentences with lower case letters, and misspelled these words:
1. who
2. irrational
3. schizophrenics
4. denying
5. don't
6. they're

I also would like to point out that many religion-related experiences can't be attributed to hallucinations. I know a kid who was expected to die when he was an infant, but began breathing independently -- and apparently with no medically possible cause! The entire team of doctors and round-the-clock nurses watching him couldn't possibly have all been delusional.

P.S. Most in my family are Christians and have IQs in excess of 140.

You have to remember that most people on this forum who have autism also have related conditions like dyslexia so bitching about someones spelling is a bit below the belt really.

Stop talking trash

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2010, 9:43 am

solid wrote:
You have to remember that most people on this forum who have autism also have related conditions like dyslexia so bitching about someones spelling is a bit below the belt really.

Precisely.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 12:12 pm

solid wrote:

I definitely agree, made a good point there. :)

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2010, 2:01 pm

I don't believe in demons, wizards or witches, so I'm not a Christian.

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2010, 2:35 pm

Jookia wrote:

What do those have anything to do with being a Christian? I'm a Christian, and I don't believe in them, and neither does the majority of my community.

ChrisVulcan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2010, 2:58 pm

You have to remember that most people on this forum who have autism also have related conditions like dyslexia so bitching about someones spelling is a bit below the belt really.[/quote]

you're right, I shouldn't have made the spelling and grammar the target of my response. Thanks for the correction!

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2010, 3:10 pm

ChrisVulcan wrote:
solid wrote:

you're right, I shouldn't have made the spelling and grammar the target of my response. Thanks for the correction!

The disrespect for other people's belief is more than enough for that! :twisted:

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2010, 3:19 pm

Tiggurix wrote:
Jookia wrote:

What do those have anything to do with being a Christian? I'm a Christian, and I don't believe in them, and neither does the majority of my community.

You're not really a Christian then. The biblical God directly instructs you in the Bible to kill witches and stone wizards as well as Jesus Christ forever casting out demons in the bible.

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2010, 3:28 pm

Jookia wrote:
Tiggurix wrote:
Jookia wrote:

You're not really a Christian then. The biblical God directly instructs you in the Bible to kill witches and stone wizards as well as Jesus Christ forever casting out demons in the bible.

And that's why they do no longer exist! :mrgreen:

Seriously, you do not have to believe in those things to be a good Christian. Being a Christian is about believing in our Lord the Almighty, and believing in His son's sacrifice and following His example. The rest is just gravy, and you do have to take some things the Bible says with a pinch of salt, as much of it has been revised over the ages and some of it is just plain outdated!

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2010, 3:42 pm

I believe without a doubt that the Bible is a sick, disgusting and poorly written work of fiction meant for nothing else than a psychedelic shock.

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2010, 3:50 pm

Jookia wrote:
I believe without a doubt that the Bible is a sick, disgusting and poorly written work of fiction meant for nothing else than a psychedelic shock.

I'd advise you not to speak in that way about the Book, but I doubt you'll listen. Have you even read it?

Solid_Snake12345
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Aug 2010, 7:24 am

Personally, no. I see no concrete evidence supporting the existence of a higher power and I don't believe in things which have no evidence.

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2010, 12:30 pm

Tiggurix wrote:
I'd advise you not to speak in that way about the Book, but I doubt you'll listen. Have you even read it?

I've been meaning to read it all the way through, but I can't stay focused on it. It just bores me.
I'll sum up my opinions at follows:

I have no respect towards Christians or the Bible for the matter that you guys have cherry-picked the good things of God's word and called it Christianity and religion, but you've 'moved on' from the bad and primitive things such as stoning for adultery. The philosophy of Jesus is good, though. I'll give it that.

The reason I don't believe in a God is that he hasn't given me any indication that he exists while science has.

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unplesant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser, a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2010, 1:45 pm

Jookia wrote:
Tiggurix wrote:

I've been meaning to read it all the way through, but I can't stay focused on it. It just bores me.
I'll sum up my opinions at follows:

I have no respect towards Christians or the Bible for the matter that you guys have cherry-picked the good things of God's word and called it Christianity and religion, but you've 'moved on' from the bad and primitive things such as stoning for adultery. The philosophy of Jesus is good, though. I'll give it that.

The reason I don't believe in a God is that he hasn't given me any indication that he exists while science has.

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unplesant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser, a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

You believe that is worthy of disrespect? That is completely irrational. There's a reason that we've moved on from those things. Do you think we should go back to them? If so, you should realise that you'd be one of the first who'd fall prey.

Anyway, we've moved on from that because those are undisputably bad things to do, and they go against the core of our religion, which is the belief in our Saviour's sacrifice to absolve us of our sins, and to follow His example to make the world better for all believers and non-believers, as we are all equal under the eyes of God.

You focus too much on the Old Testament. As you ascertained, the Old Testament is genuinely unpleasant at various parts, and God as He is portrayed in it is also genuinely unpleasant. Why it is so I cannot tell, though I can tell you that the Old Testament has never been the core in the Christian faith, so why should we pay it so much heed?

In the end, I think you are judging us very unfairly, and on very nonsensical grounds. We are told not judge other people in the way you do, so why should you judge us? Just give us the respect that is due, even if you disagree with us, and there need not be any malice or spite, which is for the good of us all.

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2010, 2:32 pm

Tiggurix wrote:
Anyway, we've moved on from that because those are undisputably bad things to do, and they go against the core of our religion, which is the belief in our Saviour's sacrifice to absolve us of our sins, and to follow His example to make the world better for all believers and non-believers, as we are all equal under the eyes of God.

In the end, I think you are judging us very unfairly, and on very nonsensical grounds. We are told not judge other people in the way you do, so why should you judge us? Just give us the respect that is due, even if you disagree with us, and there need not be any malice or spite, which is for the good of us all.

How can they be bad if your God said to do them? Are you contradicting his word?

Let me rephrase what I said earlier, I respect you as a human being, but I don't have an electron of respect for your religion.