no 58%  58%  [ 124 ]
Total votes : 212

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2010, 3:12 pm

Jookia wrote:
Tiggurix wrote:
Anyway, we've moved on from that because those are undisputably bad things to do, and they go against the core of our religion, which is the belief in our Saviour's sacrifice to absolve us of our sins, and to follow His example to make the world better for all believers and non-believers, as we are all equal under the eyes of God.

In the end, I think you are judging us very unfairly, and on very nonsensical grounds. We are told not judge other people in the way you do, so why should you judge us? Just give us the respect that is due, even if you disagree with us, and there need not be any malice or spite, which is for the good of us all.

How can they be bad if your God said to do them? Are you contradicting his word?

Let me rephrase what I said earlier, I respect you as a human being, but I don't have an electron of respect for your religion.
Just because what is supposed to be the word of God tells us to do something does not mean we should do it. As I've already said, several parts of the Bible have been revised and re-revised, and some are antiquated, so you have to take some things the Bible says with a modicum of doubt. And besides, the Old Testament, where the huge majority of the 'craziness' is written, was never central to the Christian faith, as I've already told you.

And you cannot respect a human being fully without respecting his/her beliefs, no matter what you may think. Sorry, that's just the way things are.

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2010, 3:28 pm

Tiggurix wrote:
And you cannot respect a human being fully without respecting his/her beliefs, no matter what you may think. Sorry, that's just the way things are.

Then I guess I don't respect beliefs where the Bible, the actual book that says that their God is real and Jesus existed, has been modified and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2010, 4:18 pm

Jookia wrote:
Tiggurix wrote:

Then I guess I don't respect beliefs where the Bible, the actual book that says that their God is real and Jesus existed, has been modified and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Tsk tsk. Are you actually criticising me of hypocrisy? Don't tell me that you haven't ever been hypocritical or is never going to be, everyone is going to be hypocritical at some point. Besides, as I've already told you, it's a good thing that the majority of Christendom is a little bit hypocritical, else this world could be a lot worse for people like you.

And you must remember that these are my viewpoints. There about as many ways to approach our faith as there are Christians, and you will almost certainly find some communities who follow almost every law and statement in their version of the bible, if that's what you're looking for.

But I see now that it is pointless to discuss with you, as you seem to not have entered this discussion with an open mind, but a closed one intent on turning away all arguments sent at your viewpoints' direction. A shame. I will cease to discuss with you now. May God bless you.

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2010, 6:10 pm

Tiggurix wrote:
Tsk tsk. Are you actually criticising me of hypocrisy? Don't tell me that you haven't ever been hypocritical or is never going to be, everyone is going to be hypocritical at some point.

Yes, I am accusing you of hypocrisy. I never said I was never going to be or haven't ever been hypocritical, though.

Tiggurix wrote:
And you must remember that these are my viewpoints.

I never said you couldn't have your viewpoints, I'm talking about MY viewpoints.

Tiggurix wrote:
But I see now that it is pointless to discuss with you, as you seem to not have entered this discussion with an open mind, but a closed one intent on turning away all arguments sent at your viewpoints' direction. A shame. I will cease to discuss with you now. May God bless you.

God either exists and doesn't care about me or doesn't exist and people like you are being scammed. I've tried long and hard to believe in God, but if he does exist, he's very set on me not believing in him. Especially with his sick game of giving my Asperger's.

Kefuie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Aug 2010, 3:27 am

My religion is Catholic and it teaches me to know about God.
i believe in God the most holy and gracious among heaven and earth.

BriannaBee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2010, 5:05 am

I believe he could exist, but I can't say I believe or don't believe in God. Religion doesn't matter to me so... Yeah.

Sea_of_Saiyan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2010, 12:34 am

Oh heeeel no!

Jessi_in_wonderland
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2010, 1:49 am

I believe in God or at least i'd like to think there is a God...I have said prayers that have been answered so I'd like to believe

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 1:18 pm

i was born and baptized catholic and was in CCD until 6th grade but im now Agnostic Atheist i believe that religion was invented by weakminded NTs who didnt want to just die and have that be the end. so they created religon and said "this is true or we kill you, then you go to hell to be in eternal damnation." after awhile people started believing it and they felt that gave them the right to kill, die, and lie in the name of their religon even though lying and killing are supposed to be forbidden and 2 of the biggest sins along with judging, which the catholic church is especially good at. but religion is Human weakness at its finest. get billions of saps together tell them that they will go to heaven oh but you gotta "donate" to them and the more you donate the more righteous you are and the more likely you are to go to heaven oh wait i thought they believed that God will provide his faithful servants everything? well why would they need money if everything is provided? the catholic church alone in a multi billion dollar business and its churches are even tax exempt! wake up and you will see. religion has caused more death and destruction than ANY dictatorship EVER has. the crusades, the dark ages, the spanish inquisition, the 1000 years of scientific persecution that could have advanced humanity 1000 years.
"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth." - Thomas Jefferson
"To talk of immaterial existences is to talk of nothings. To say that the human soul, angels, god, are immaterial, is to say they are nothings, or that there is no god, no angels, no soul. I cannot reason otherwise: but I believe I am supported in my creed of materialism by Locke, Tracy, and Stewart. At what age of the Christian church this heresy of immaterialism, this masked atheism, crept in, I do not know. But heresy it certainly is."- Letter of Thomas Jefferson to John Adams, Aug. 15, 1820
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own."
Source: Letter of Thomas Jefferson to Horatio G. Spafford, March 17, 1814.
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes."
Source: Letter of Thomas Jefferson to Alexander von Humboldt, Dec. 6, 1813.
"The advocate of religious freedom is to expect neither peace nor forgiveness from [the clergy]."
Source: Letter of Thomas Jefferson to Levi Lincoln, 1802.
"The clergy, by getting themselves established by law and in-grafted into the machine of government, have been a very formidable engine against the civil and religious rights of man."
Source: Letter of Thomas Jefferson to Jeremiah Moor, 1800.

sorry for all the Thomas Jefferson quotes but he is my political idol

E-FrameZenderblast
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Dec 2010, 12:25 am

I cannot truly believe in God, I doubt/consider EVERYTHING, so I am literally incapable of being anything other than agnostic. However, I do think it is most likely and reasonable that God does not exist. Nevertheless, when I philosophise deeply about existence, evolution and reproduction, I get the feeling there is someone...something...up there...watching me...laughing...

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!! !!

<ahem>

Anyway, it would seem that Schopenhauer's 'will-to-life' is (a part of?) some great unconscious will that is determined to create perfection, and of a sort this could be 'God'.

Sorry for rambling a bit there, maybe I should post something in the Politics, Philosophy and Religion section about this...